Customer reviews

Price:£8.99

on 18 May 2017
excellent
on 4 December 2012
Marvellous artwork and great music...... All the song lyrics were included which is a great bonus...plus there are bonus tracks on the cd
on 15 April 2005
A cracking Tull album finally gets the sonic clear-up it deserves. Broadsword fuses medieval themes with sprightly arrangements, 'modern day' instrumentation and shiny production to produce a sort of folky Dire Straits sound. Sadly, whilst the remastering definitely improves what was always one of Tull's thinnest sounding albums, Gerry Conway's drums still sound like synthesized biscuit tins.
The eight extra tracks are very welcome, but to these ears it's a shame they're all the same ones anthologised on the 20 Years Box set - no room for 'Crew Nights', 'Commons Brawl', 'No Step' or 'Drive on the Young Side of Life', each of which tower over the drivel like 'Watching Me Watching You' and others included in this set.
But enough of my carping. This is one of Tull's best albums - whether splicing the mainbrace on Broadsword, wallowing in the pastoral yearning of Slow Marching Band, progging out on Seal Driver or synth-throbbing on The Clasp - this is an album as old as the hills and as futuristic as its 1981 heritage allows. Ironically, having confused the occasional punters so comprehensively on Stormwatch and A, it was Broadsword that suffered in overall sales. Ian's solo album and Under Wraps showed that he still had a way to go on his personal synthesizer journey, but this album was a very high watermark in a meagre few years.
on 8 October 2012
Maybe I should have said the best progressive rock album ever! Either way this is a brilliant album. I was just listening to the cd again on my nice, expensive hi-fi system and it sounds magnificent. I first heard the song The Clasp on radio many years ago and I loved it. I bought the vinyl album and really loved the whole thing. The Clasp is still my favourite song but Seal Driver, Flying Colours and Broadsword are great too. Every song is great really. Jethro Tull are a charming group because they use real instruments and also traditional instruments like mandolins and flutes. However they also know how to rock with electric guitars. For this album they added a new keyboards/synthesizer wizkid called Peter Vetesse. He made a dramatic difference on this album adding great synth tones and textures to the atmosphere of the album. To me this was the absolute creative peak of Jethro Tull. I always felt Ian Anderson never knew how to follow it up, and most of the subsequent albums were mediocre. I thought their next really good album was Roots to Branches. This cd reissue adds many bonus tracks recorded around the same time. They are a bit of a rag bag of different styles but they are all worth having. In conclusion, if you like rock music, particularly rock music with a British and mythological flavour, buy this immediately!
on 9 March 2012
As I own the original CD of this album, I'm limiting my comments to this remaster. Read the other reviews for commentary on the music. (Oh come on, it's brilliant - one of JT's best works!)

Listening equipment: Denon AH-D2000 headphones driven by an iBasso D10 DAC/Amp via optical.

Primarily, the hiss is gone. The original CD suffered from source tape hiss which I found rather distracting. This remaster has none of that. It's clean and clear. This alone is why I bought it, so no disappointent there.

There is some loss though. Perhaps it's my rig, but the crash cymbals sound a tad synthetic and recessed at times. I guess there's no algorithm for removing high-frequency noise that also preserves high-frequency detail. It doesn't matter to me - I don't think this detracts at all from the overall experience (I'm a bass head after all) and I'm happy with the compromise. Everything I love about this album is more pronounced, more present. That's all I care about.

In short, a superb remaster of a superb album. Cheap as chips too. What are you waiting for? Buy it :)

Oh yeah, the bonus tracks. I've already got them, but they sound great too. "Rhythm in Gold" especially. +1
on 20 June 2011
This album marked a change in style of the band, moving from the elven woods of trad. prog. into the hedgehog-splattering highway of a heavier style of rock. The band took on a darker, more politicized tone in later albums which I did not care for (esp. Rock Island). But this was the album that first introduced me to Tull in particular and Prog rock in general, and so sets the standard for all albums before and since.
on 10 March 2011
This is my favorite album from Jethro Tull. All titles are very well written musically and have a more "rock" orientation than the ones on other albums, where you could sense the folk influences. I think the best track is "Flying Colors", a song that has everything from rhythm, guitar solos to very good lyrics and interpretation.
A very nice surprise are the bonus tracks, from which "Jack a Lynn" is by far the best one (it could have been easily introduced on the original recording side by side with the other tracks).
The album was made and appeared in Germany at that time, being a big succes.
All in all a must have for any Jethro Tull fan, in a improved edition.
on 14 April 2015
I have this Album, but the shorter version 10 tracks on Chrome for High Quality,1982, Jethro Tull are such a good Band and this Album has too be one of the best, so I was inspired by what I heard with the extra tracks and just had to buy it to replace my tape although it still plays, I would recommend this, definitely a good purchase.
on 30 September 2016
'The Broadsword and the Beast' is a classic Tull release which manages to fuse the brilliance of the familiar strains of progressive rock with a modern array of synthesizers that refresh the whole project. The brilliant 'Beastie' and the pacy 'Clasp' kick things off in a highly promising fashion and there are plenty more highlights along the way; the majestic 'Slow Marching Band' is lovely, 'Broadsword' is ever bit as powerful as the title suggests whilst 'Pussy Willow' is simply divine. 'Seal Driver' features some of Martin Barre's most inspiring lead guitar work on this album and, as is often the case, there is a juicy selection of Bonus material included (8 tracks in all). For me, this is definitely worth investing your money in.
on 20 December 2011
Through trembling years of youth, long merky middle ages, final hours long in the tooth. When an album starts with these lyrics then you know you are in for treat. A pure masterpiece of the flute popping, toe tapping, rock sounding Jethro. A must for any collection.