Customer reviews

Oranges & Lemons
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 14 November 2015
First off, this release was the tipping point for me to purchase a new blu ray player. I had been experiencing sporadic problems with my old Sony. When I finally received my copy of the O&L blu ray and found, like many other Sony owners, it wouldn't play...Enough!!! Time for a new player, (not a Sony). I am glad I did!
I would like to thank Steve Wilson, Andy Partridge, Colin Moulding and David Gregory for the time, care and attention to detail they all put into this release. The XTC Surround Series has been the pinnacle of reissues for quality AND quantity. I had high hopes for this release and I was not disappointed.
There is so much going on within each song on this album. By putting them into a 5.1 dimension it opens them up and lets in some air. The songs seem to breathe a little. The lead vocals are so clear when you close your eyes it sounds like Andy and Colin are standing right in front of you. The drums are as crisp as they were originally but seem to have picked up some warmth. As a matter of fact, the entire album sounds warmer.
From Garden of Earthly Delights through Chalkhills and Children I had a smile on my face. When Across the Antheap kicked into full gear, the smile went straight to my brain. I had to get off the couch, stand in the middle of the room with my eyes closed and let it wash over me. That song alone is worth the price of admission!
If you don't have a surround system, this release and this series is the reason you have been waiting for. (Just not a Sony.)
on 31 October 2015
I won't bother stating what a great album this is. This CD Blu Ray is a dream, everything thing from demo's, to completely unheard tracks.
I have admit, l was a little worried about the prospect of a new 2015 mix, and how wrong was l....
The 2015 mix at 24bit 96khz is different, but in a positive way, making the original sound a bit lifeless. I can't comment on the 5.1 mixes, as I only listen in stereo,
On a final note, I really wish, record companies word take note, this is how all remasters should be done.
on 5 February 2016
A new general warmth, but there's no getting away from that 80s Stewart Copeland snare, so it's always going to be bright and in your face. The improvement is in the vocals mostly. Much clearer and they own their own space. Less flat. more spacious. I wanted night and day, got something better, but only 10%. The production has always been thin and the arrangements are very busy, but it is what it is. A great XTC album that reminds me of a time in my life when I was younger, and for that, I love it. It is still very toppy, but the soundstage is wider.
on 7 October 2012
Beautifully crafted album with every song having its own special hook which keeps you wanting to listen. As always the lyrics are sharp and often with a sense of irony. Just such a shame that no one in the music industry matches them now and they're not together to produce this type of material anymore...come on guys....
on 24 April 2013
One of their best alongside Skylarking. Great tuneful melodies and clever introspective lyrics. Partridge and Moulding wrote some great songs.
on 25 January 2018
its the ants knees
on 4 August 2015
What's not to like - English pop rock at its best. Quality musicianship, thoughtful lyrics, tunes to hum. An underated classic from Swindion's finest. Brought a new copy as the old one was getting tired.
on 1 February 2011
I have no idea why its called oranges and lemons whatever the reason it doesn't matter this album is pure XTC amazingness
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 June 2014
I hoped this would be an improvement on previous 90's version. upper range is overtly bright. The engineer I think did not get the complexities of the mid to lower end of bass and rhythm parts - I've gone back to original. Lets hope Mr Wilson gets to do a 5.1 version as with Nonsuch which is a gem of a remaster.
44 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 January 2018
I am a huge XTC fan, bought this album in the 90's, listened to it once, thought it was bad and got rid of it. But after watching a recent Sky Arts documentary about the band I decided to give it another chance - it was highly praised. At the end, I was really pissed off that I didn't listen to it on Spotify before buying it. It's by far their worst album. The 80's synths, the unremarkable melodies, the hysterical vocals, the incredibly insipid overproduced songs annoyed me so much, I decided to write this review. Its a highly disappointing experience, as opposed to listening to 'English Settlement' or 'Drums and Wires' or even 'Mummer'...