Customer reviews

Price:£3.99

on 31 July 2017
Yes, my old friend.
on 5 May 2015
Excellent condition and value for money 😊
on 22 January 2015
Cool
on 11 December 2014
Easy listening
on 22 September 2014
My favourite album from gomez
on 20 March 2016
Love it
on 28 March 2004
Having been quite scathing of UK bands and particularly of the 'music of today' I came to this album with some reservation and trepidation but boy was I wrong? These guys are the real deal, the real mccoy. Embrace are often talked about in almost hushed reverential tones as the purveyors of Britpop and I can see why. This is not Britpop. This is Southern-fried, gently flowing, ambient Blues a la early-Little Feat. That is no exaggeration. I can actually hear Lowell George in this chap's vocal delivery. Blimey, this is England for bodsakes!!! What's going on? Can music be this good? Yes it can. At no point do I feel they are robbing from this great music, they are adding to it and enhancing it.
Imagine it's the late-60's and California's bands had somehow sheared off and gone in a slightly different direction, gaining hindsight of what was to follow and then creating their own way of doing things, you would be close to what Gomez are doing with Liquid Skin. I love this album. It's dreamy, wonderfully presented, faithful to the influences but forward-thinking enough that people in 30 years will look back with fondness at what they are doing. Forget the rip-off that Paul Weller is and listen to this band. A classic!
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 December 2012
There's nothing that revolutionary here, but at least when they do their thing, they do it really, really well

Forgotten what a great album this was until listening to it again

And for me, "We haven't turned around" is worth the price on its own, wonderful.
on 9 November 1999
It's difficult to explain why I like this album but I'm going to try : first, this band has a particular style and plays a music that has been rarely heard before-the way they mix, blues, country and world-music, with the soulful voice of Ben Ottewell, is very original and interesting. Second, they write real songs-not so common among british bands in my opinion : "rhythm and blues alibi", "revolutionnary kind", "Rosalita"and particularly "devil will ride" (my favorite, definitively) take place in your mind and it's quite hard to get rid of them. Third, Gomez has already released a pleasant first album in 1998 and, according to the legacy, the second one should have been poor but it isn't!!
on 10 July 2002
I find it wierd that the review for this record states that Gomez five members don't have "an original idea between them" whilst that for new album "In Our Gun" calls them the most inventive British band of the past decade. Wierd.
Which is nearer the truth I couldn't possibly say. Certainly Gomez are unlike anyone I come across today in my adventures in building a record collection, but then every band is influenced by other bands before them. The only way not to be would be to write a record having heard no music before ever.
No, what is called originality today is when bands mix influences. And what I hear from the 3 Gomez records is that they do just this, and they are particularly good at it. Blues, country, cool jazz and good old southern rock and as many other influences are here in varying measures making each track sound different but unmistakably Gomez. There are also some fantastic arrangements, aswell as one of the best vocal parts around today (although I can see that Ben Ottewell's gravel voice is an acquired taste).
The end results is a laid back, bluesy, record that grows on you no end until you cant get them out of your head. Best tracks for me are "revolutionary kind", "we haven't turned around", "rhythm and blues alibi" and the epic "California". I'd recommend it to all who like their music laid back, quirky enough to keep your attention but not too quirky to alienate everyone, and who has a weakness for the blues. Great Stuff.