Customer reviews

Pictured Within
Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 8 January 2014
This is modern classical music with a certain depth and intimacy that you won't find anywhere else, I think. There's a certain sadness and melancoly to Jon Lords music that some might find heavy going, but there's real strength and beauty at the heart of it that make it a very satisfying and pleasing listen. I don't know how spiritual Jon was but this music is unmistakably good for the soul. I personally don't favour words and lyrics in classical works but that might be the thing that makes it for you, everyone's different, so Evening Song, Crystal Spa and Wait A While are not my favourites (thought the title track, words and all is very beautiful). However I think that all the other tracks are absolutley outstanding, especially Circles Of Stone and Menorca Blue. I never was a Deep Purple fan but I have recently developed a huge appreciation for Jon Lord's work. If you like moving, meaningful and emotional music this will touch you deeply.
on 9 September 2012
Although, I already had this, I neaded to replace my old copy that was damaged. I'm a huge Jon Lord fan, and this is possibly his finest solo work. With his passing on 12 july It seemed appropriate to ensure that this wonderful musicians works are complete. I have a favourite track 'Music For Miriam' which he composed for his late mother. As I also have suffered my Mothers sudden departure, this track is especially comforting. The whole album is a joy, I only hope that many others listen without predjudice to this album and realise that this man was not just a keyboard player in Deep Purple but, a genuine all rounder whose influence was a blessing.I'm now awaiting The release of the re-recorded Concerto for Group and Orchestra, in 1969 when it was first shown it filled me with wonder. I'm sure it will again.
on 7 April 2013
Delighted that this has been re-issued. Probably Lord's best. I nearly forked out the £70 some joker was asking for it a year or two back before the re-issue. Can't believe I only had to pay £5-75 for a modern masterpiece.
on 15 February 2018
Bliss . Peaceful. Powerful . Joyous . Emotional .
Any one who loves music should own this
on 20 May 2013
one of his later works verging on or at least with classical nuances.This will take a few sessions to get into - even so it's no "Gemini Suite".
on 1 January 2013
a well respecting man is gone and his music still for ever with his hammond organ in our soul.

on 1 April 2013
He's just the master of music. This album just proves his capacity of making any king of music within the best quality. RIP Jon!
on 10 April 2009
Not a lot I can say about this one. Inspirational, uplifting and mesmerising. My advice? Simple. Buy it.
on 10 October 2016
I think I've become addicted to Jon Lord. I now have several of his solo albums and they're all great.
on 4 May 2014
Unfortunately, I am technically unable to write one review for two items, so my review here also very much covers the 2004 follow-up Beyond the Notes.

Several images spring to mind whilst I listen to Pictured Within. One is that of Jon Lord retiring to his hotel room following a sold-out arena concert and a few late-night drinks with his Deep Purple cohorts and experiencing a feeling of personal unfulfillment at what has gone on in the last few hours. The search for something else.

Although I had liked Purple's material, I had not taken to them in much the same way I had to the likes of Pink Floyd or Yes. I had certainly not paid any special attention to their founding member and keyboard player, admiring instead the talents of his contemporaries Richard Wright and Rick Wakeman respectively.

All this altered in June 2011 following a concert given by students of the Baden Württembergische Pop Akadamie at Salem Castle here in Germany: their special guest was no less than Jon Lord. A medley of Deep Purple classics formed the encores, whilst the main part of the concert consisted of solo work by Mr Lord.

I was immediately taken by the quality of the music and after searching on the net, discovered that most of it had been culled from two albums: Pictured Within and Beyond the Notes.

Solo efforts by members of successful groups can be quite diverse. Some gather a selection of superstar collegues around them to create an economical version of the parent group. Others choose an ethical musical genre to produce music which satisfies the artist, yet not the casual fan.

In the case of Jon Lord, he has returned to the roots which formed the basis of his original musical education, namely the Barock works of Johann Sebastian Bach and Georg Philipp Telemann. Indeed, the music as a whole reflects not so much Jon Lord the keyboard-playing superstar but rather Jon Lord the composer. To achieve his aims he has surrounded himself with some very talented musicians, creating what is sometimes akin to a Barock ensemble, sometimes a swing combo.

The tracks are neatly divided into 4 subtitled groups, each containing 3 pieces. Highlights for me include From the Windmill, Circles of Stone and Menorca Blue. Evening Song, with lyrics written and beautifully sung by Sam Brown, feature wonderful violin and cello solos.

Some of the pieces I can imagine being performed at a funeral and Jon probably had this in mind when he composed Music for Miriam, dedicated to his late mother. Having lost both my parents in the last 5 years, the images that go with such an event, plus the feelings they arouse are rekindled in me through this music. An extended version of Music for Miriam appears on Beyond the Notes.

But all is not doom and gloom as a wry sense of humour shines through via the sleeve notes to both CDs. What strikes me is that the music is worlds apart from Deep Purple. That this is the case may alienate potential listeners, but one must realise, that artists generally step out of the constraints of their parent groups to produce music that satisfies themselves without having to compromise with their collegues.

I'd like to conclude by quoting from other reviews here, as I find they express exactly my feelings about this music:

"This music is at peace with itself."
"It is melancholy, atmospheric and romantic."
"Allow the beauty of this CD to seep into your heart and soul."

Jon Lord sadly passed away just a year after that concert at Salem Castle and the music world was deprived of yet another talented force. Both Pictured Within and Beyond the Notes provide musical epitaphs to his talent. Jon Lord: Rock and Rest in Peace.