on 29 May 2017
brilliant
on 5 April 2017
Love this, in my opinion, D'Angelo's best.
on 16 April 2017
Good quality
on 15 December 2014
Can't beat it
on 25 January 2005
In the mid 90's the future looked bright for r n b, a new wave of modern soul artists began to shine, D'Angelo among them, and a strong musical wave looked to be on the horizon.
D'Angelo's debut album, Brown Sugar, starts off on a high, so to speak. The title track is a smooth sexy song with brooding basslines and a catchy chorus. This is by far the best track on the album, and the rest of the songs are given the seemingly impossible task of trying to match it.
However on each track, the combination of funky basslines, elegant piano playing, and D'Angelo's sweet vocals seem to capture the mood just right, and would make even the most banal of men light up the candles and lay out the rose petals. Tracks such as the excellent 'Alright', 'Higher', and 'When We Get By' are delivered with such an effortless confidence it is hard not to draw comparisons with soul legends such as Al Green or even Prince.
In all, a fantastic modern soul album, so smooth it could make your speakers melt, and in a time of Usher and a number of other anonymous acts performing watered down pop rnb, a warming reminder of 'what could have been'.
on 25 November 2000
D'Angelo is quite frankly one of the very few, true musical genious' from this decade. I mostly listen to rap and r&b music but I have realised that there are a lot of artists out there who are only doing what they do to make money (wouldn't you?). D'Angelo is one of the few TRUE artists out there who strives to perfect his god-given musical talents. Most tracks on the album were composed, written, arranged, produced and performed by D'Angelo himself. He also played a wide range of the instruments heard on the album. If this isn't a talented guy, then I don't think I'll ever know what talent really is. I just love his songs which have a great relaxing feeling to them. The smooth, jazzy, soulful, rhythm and blues type of music found on this album is beautifully crafted together to create an all time classic. Most of the songs are woman-inspired and his soulful crooning about his admirations of the love of his life etc. make for great songs to play softly in the background, in a dimly lit room on that very "special night"... If you know what I mean ;). An absolute must-have album. This isn't your usual contemporary R&B like "Thong Song" etc. This is more of a hark back to some of the musical greats like Marvin Gaye and Al Green etc. D'Angelo has this ability to pack with him, the great stuff about the old-skool music and blend it in with more modern musical tactics to create his own unique sound. The songs are mostly slower love songs and ballads and a couple of jazzy/blues type songs. My favourite cuts are "Me and those Dreamin' Eyes of Mine", "Lady", "Smooth", "Brown Sugar", "Cruisin'" and "When we get by". An essential album for any fan of either modern day contemporary R&B or for those older old-skool heads.
on 12 April 2014
This was definitely his best album, I love it, got it for my Mum and Dad and they havne't stopped dancing to it!
on 13 July 2004
I bought this album when it first came out and by far it is my favourite neo classic soul album.. for the time I believe D'Angelo took a brave step with this album and by doing so opened the flood gates to a new generation of jazz/soul fusion artists.
The title track brown sugar is definately the strongest track on the album, however D'Angelo's subtle musical beauty and heavy bass licks are prominant throughout the album making it undoubtabley a classic! and with a fan base including Prince and BB King few could disagree with me.
His subtle use of the chorus line of Funkadellic's "one nation under a groove" incorporated in "when we get by" lends itself perfectly to the smooth jazz tune and is barely noticable as a sample. I would say my least favourite track is "sh*t damn motherf*cker" however in todays world of weak watery Rnb this is still a very strong track and serves well on an invincable album I would recomend anyone to buy this album! the follow up Voodoo is equally strong with maybe slightly less origanality than Brown Sugar yet more maturity can't wait to hear album #3
on 17 February 2007
One of the first R&B/Soul albums i have bought and it still ticks all the boxes. Whether you want to woo a woman, chill out in the sunny garden, or simply fall asleep to this, i cannot recommend this album enough. One of the rare albums in my collection where i like every song. the album encompasses every aspect of love and relationships in the smoothest coolest possible way. I was disappointed with his 2nd album "Voodoo", and i always resort back to this. Class.
on 28 March 2009
For me, D'Angelo is one of the best artists from the last couple of decades - and I think this album proves it. It's just so and smooth and soulful and I feel he really does connect emotionally to his songs (i think in this day and age very few artists do). It's an album I never get tired of listening to and keep comnig back to it over the years - too many artists are interested in making music for the masses but I have a feeling this will be a timeless classic.