on 14 January 2017
I can confirm what other reviewers have said. This is a beautifully remastered version and sounds as good as the LP version I had all those years ago. The musicianship is terrific and the superb understated bass lines are wonderful. I've always thought Bowie never bettered this album and I now I know so. It's still so wonderfully daring: tales of sado-masochistic sex, a psycho killer on the run, his brother's insanity, etc. In fact today he'd probably never get it past some record co. exec saying "you can't do that - not safe enough for the kiddies". Brilliant.
7 people found this helpful
on 13 March 2016
One of my favourites albums, the heavy "Width of a Circle" being in my all time top ten. The usual bunch of critics from the 70's didn't like that song with its "Passages", but what did they know,they were probably too old then, dead now and didn't play instruments to appreciate what went into it. I think this album easily competes with Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust even though it's not as commercial. Tony Visconti plays an amazing thundering bass on "Width of a Circle, and Mick Ronsons guitar playing is flawless as usual on all tracks pity there is nobody playing his style today......at least that I know of. Other favourites include "She shook me cold", Running gun blues and Black Country Rock. Of all my Bowie albums this is the one I play most in the car, always at high volume. I don't have much of a stomach for later and newer stuff and rarely to never play them, I prefer the rawness of the seventies albums.
5 people found this helpful
on 14 December 2011
One of the very first vinyl albums I ever bought - and still one of the most memorable. The cover featured Bowie in his silver jumpsuit, rather than his Camilla Parker Bowles-alike frock coat/dress thingy, and was no worse for that in my opinion... Stylistically, TMWSTW is miles away from Space Oddity and Hunky Dory, and a great example of Bowie's career-spanning risk taking and inventiveness. Midnight black shade to Hunky's light, Bowie goes large on the mythology/mental illness/human extremes front in this dark and powerful set. Tony Visconti's production is doom'n'bass heavy, but it's lit up by Mick Ronson's scintillating lead guitar (that's enough of the light and dark contrast b*ll*cks - ed.) Standouts are Width of a Circle, featuring Ronno's extended work out, Running Gun Blues and She Shook Me Cold - you can see how this album influenced future generations of heavy rockers. Highly recommended.
4 people found this helpful
on 13 September 2016
Early Bowie, I love this album, some great guitar pieces on it.
2 people found this helpful
on 9 June 2016
Love This Album, this is a heavier rockier album than Bowie's other albums,with Mick Ronson at his absolute best in Full flight on guitar,sheer genius.
One person found this helpful
on 9 January 2009
The Man Who Sold The World was one of the last Bowie album's I got around to buying, and I could have kicked myself for not getting it sooner - it's a terrific album, full of dark, occult-tinged lyrics and haunting melodies. Only one below par track (She Shook Me Cold), this is also Bowie's heaviest album (in rock terms) and probably his most personal. Despite it's dark, mystical tone, the tunes are still great and Bowie's voice has never sounded so alien. One of his very best, I would say.
2 people found this helpful
|44 Comments|Report abuse
on 28 April 2018
who wouldn't like this
on 11 October 2017
One of Bowies best albums ever, a must for any collection!!
on 16 April 2018