on 5 January 2015
My wife bought this for me (a chartered electronics engineer) as a joke "christmas stocking" present, hoping that I would enjoy showing our young grandson how to build something that I and all my friends had constructed at his age, some sixty years ago. Quite frankly, I would not insult the lad! The contents of this kit are worth no more than a few pence, and it does not take a genius to spot the shortcomings of its "skeleton" design. It might conceivably pick up a signal from a high-powered broadcast transmitter in the immediate vicinity, but it would do so no better than a rusty safety pin! Needless to say, It did not work at all for me, and it is difficult to see how it possibly could.

Googling "crystal set" will come up with a vast range of simple yet viable designs, together with sensible information on how they work. This product is absolute rubbish, and anyone paying more than £1 for it needs their brains testing.
on 18 March 2017
I used to make crystal sets so I recognised the circuit. The coil is poor. The instructions are not clear: a decent earth is needed, and a few feet of aerial as supplied will not produce a decent signal. The wire supplied is so microscopically thin that is virtually impossible to bare it. The earpiece had a plug on it that had to be cut off (not that this was mentioned in the instructions). The idea of tapping the coil can work in some circumstances, but the inclusion of the more usual component of a .0007 variable condenser might have given the thing a chance of working. The screws supplied to mount the coil were over-size. I spent a long time with a sad 12 year old birthday boy, and got as far as a very faint crackle before I gave up. It is a complete waste of time and money.
on 11 August 2014
simply awfull pieces didnt fit no signal pointless
on 6 February 2015
A very attractive idea. However, rather fiddly to build (especially on Christmas morning). Aerial and earth fitting call for a lot of space. Never did get it working.
on 16 April 2016
This was a present, received with pleasure but I don't really know the outcome!
on 4 January 2015
good gift for someone who likes to be different
on 22 September 2014
just wonderful
on 10 June 2015
The kit's contents looked fine to me, but without the proper tools to test the (few) electronic parts one cannot be sure of their quality. After many hours of serious trials there was not even the slightest hint of radio reception. Failure might at least in part be due to unknown local circumstances. In spite of the disappointing results I prefer to give the kit the benefit of the doubt.
on 16 March 2013
This product was bought as a gift and my husband is looking forward to showing our Grandson how it works as he had one when he was 6.