on 12 June 2015
These are fake. The signature code the camera reads from the battery is a 7 digit code. Genuine canon battery have an 8 digit code. These are not even convincing fakes, they feel different, lose charge fast and are very tight to get in the camera.

Not even the sticker on the rear of the battery is similar!!

I find it hard to believe after paying £100 for 2 batteries you assume I wouldn't notice your intentionally selling cheap batteries instead of actual Canon goods.

Fraud.
review image
on 20 December 2013
I bought one of these batteries from the seller Swintons (fulfilled by Amazon) and it turned out to be a counterfeit. I don't know whether the seller was aware of it. The battery and packaging looked very similar to the real product and I almost thought it was genuine until I tried it with my camera and it simply would not fit into the battery compartment. I cheked out the link below which shows you some of the features of faked products compared to the genuine Canon batteries and there are a few questions specifically for LP-E6. The font on the front of the battery looks similar to the genuine one but on close inspection it has some slight differences, but the main difference is the hologram. Today I bought a genuine battery from a local shop and found out some other differences in packaging. The one from Swintons was not sealed at all but the one I bought from the shop was properly sealed. The faked one also did not come with any documentation and the one from the shop comes with an instruction sheet in multiple languages.

I think Amazon should really do something about preventing more faked items being sold from their website.

[...]
on 23 July 2013
I'm not convinced that this is a genuine Canon product, the serial number present is illegible unlike genuine Canon parts and the surface finish is different. More importantly as stated in the heading it fails to hold a charge for any significant time period unlike a known original Canon battery.
on 21 October 2013
Looked the genuine article but I became concerned when the battery lost 25% of its charge in a single day without being in the camera. I am new to Canon so looked for Canon battery problems on the web. A very useful u-Tube video gives you an idea in differentiating genuine from fake. This battery only had a 7 digit serial number whereas genuine Canon batteries have an 8 digit serial number. Good old Amazon Customer Service though, and a refund will be made on the battery's return to Amazon. The seller by the way was speedy link and fulfilled by Amazon. Canon LP-E6 Battery Pack

Update: Since posting the review, I purchased a battery from Bristol Cameras (extra £22.00) The packaging on the new battery is much more secure being sealed ALL the way round (and difficult to open!) than the battery packaging as supplied by speedy link. The battery simply slid out of the unseal bottom of that packaging. Buyer beware.
on 21 November 2011
I was cautious about these batteries as they are so cheap. However they're closer to RRP than the clearly grey market/copy batteries I've seen. So I thought I'd take a chance.

I've bought third party batteries for my Canon 5d Mark 2 before and had problems with the batteries being slightly too large for the battery compartment. They fit in easily enough but didn't spring out when released meaning I had to yank them out with tweezers. This doesn't happen with my Canon batteries and I resolved to only buy 1st party batteries in the future. I ordered two of these from In Stock Right Now/Big Norman and had the same problem as with the third party batteries. Again I had to pull one out with tweezers, I didn't even bother to open the second. Now I'm not sure if this is a problem with the batteries or my camera.

However, I would note that these batteries are different in appearance to my two other official Canon batteries. The plastic is slightly lighter and has a smooth finish whereas my expensive shop bought batteries have an ever so slightly dappled finish. The lettering stamped into the battery seems differently manufactured and the font is ever so slightly different. The middle of the 'o' is a different size. The docking clips are straight and acute on the shop bought batteries, but are rounded on these.

The seller offered a refund without quibble, although its yet to appear in my account. I returned the goods 15 days ago. They said that the refund was processed 6 days ago. I've also lost out on £10+ in postage which they won't refund.

Others have obviously had a positive experience. I won't risk it again.
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 November 2013
I hesitate to make an outright statement that these batteries are Canon wannabes BUT I ordered two of these bringing my total of LP-E6's up to 8. These are also the newest by 3 years, but I now have commercial jobs where the camera needs to be recording on the move for a whole day so I needed to supplement that batteries that I had available.

My other 6 Canon batteries can hold a full charge for weeks without being touched. These batteries, do not hold their charge for more than 3 days without dropping to half strength. Not only that but whilst they fit into the main body compartment of the camera OK, they do not fit properly into the battery pack, so badly in fact that I had to dig them out with a multi tool.

Be warned. Consider buying these with extreme caution!
on 1 November 2009
Original Canon battery, arrived super fast, and lasts for over 1200 shots in my Canon 7D. Has been charged 4 times, and everytime delivers endless shooting. Much better than any 3rd party battery. Also Amazon have the best price on the web for this original battery. Go on treat yourself.
on 24 April 2014
I've bought a few of these batteries and at first they seemed fine. Convincing packaging, hologram on the packet etc. However, now that I have bought a few batteries from the same seller I've noticed inconsistencies in the battery design. Different style of serial number, different shades of blue on the stickers on the back... this wasn't an issue at first. However, one by one they are failing. Badly. They don't hold their charge, one of which has stopped charging at all. Now, two of these batteries have started literally falling apart at the seams.

Im a very disappointed customer, I thought paying extra was a good move, alas not. From now on I'm only buying from official Canon Distributors.

Be warned.
on 25 November 2013
I decided to go for it anyway despite the other warnings. Sure enough, the one I received (from Swintons) was counterfeit. It had the wrong logo on the packaging, the lettering on the battery was different to my bonafide battery I received with my Canon 60D, and it had a bogus 7-digit serial number.

Most importantly, it provided just 44 minutes of video recording as opposed to three times that capacity with the original Canon battery. I have returned it and will expect a refund from Amazon/Swintons.

My advice is to pay full whack from a Canons authorised dealer. It's a shame - £50 doesn't seem like good value for a battery - but the alternative is a load of avoidable aggro.
on 11 November 2013
I was sold a fake LP-E6. This was confirmed by Canon after I sent photographs of the battery and packaging. Amazon has given me a full refund and looks like they've removed the product from the seller's store. The store that sold the battery was Batsby. I reckon that whoever sells the fake batteries keeps changing their store name. I missed the many reviews saying they'd been sold a fake battery as I was purchasing a lot that day - my mistake for not reading the reviews properly. I realised something was off once I tried to take the battery out of the 5D3 and it got stuck and had to be manipulated out of the battery casing. Be warned.