Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 23 July 2013
I thought the offer of three original Canon batteries for £70 was too good to be true. Turns out I was right. These are not Canon batteries, and make no attempt to look like them (unlike the photo!). I have used third party batteries in the past and they completely died after a couple of months. I'm not going to test the product just send it straight back!
on 9 July 2012
After looking to save a few £, I initially bought 2 of these from a seller on a well known auction site for £30 something... In what appeared to be Canon packaging, and only to realise on delivery that they were NOT genuine Canon, "forgeries". I returned them and received a full refund... Thinking I couldn't be stung again, I ordered one from another ebay seller, in "original" looking plastic packaging with hologram... only for this battery to be a forgery as well. Very clever, but there are a few distinct ways to identify a genuine battery. The +/- next to the edge is in a lighter gray plastic with gold coloured contacts - not black with metal looking contacts. The label wasn't neatly positioned. The 4 character code was 5 characters and upside down. The serial number (when you register the battert in your camera was 7 digits, not 8)... there are other factors but I thought I'd list a few from my recent research.

Yes, there are cheap batteries, but to pay good money for a Canon branded battery and find its a fake makes me annoyed. Hahnel and a few other brands, make licenses batteries... but I wanted Genuine Canon. If a dodgy battery leaks inside yoru camera and wrecks it, you have no come back with Canon... especially when you have an expensive camera.

These batteries direct from Amazon, are 100% genuine and 100% perfect :-)
on 14 May 2013
I got a used battery in a packaging that had been opened before. A printed a label saying "new". The battery looked like Canon but showed marks of previous use. Almost identical to my Canon battery but slightly different. Obviously a used battery (or who knows, maybe a fake Canon). Not happy.
on 8 January 2014
I got mine from supplier SALLY CPL STORE (fulfilled by Amazon), whose rating of 4.8 stars left me confident when ordering, but unfortunately I got scammed too. At first glance I did not find anything suspicious as the lettering was clearly the same as Canon's but...

1) the plastic enclosure was not sealed
2) the plastic piece that clamps to the bottom of the battery was loose
3) and the hologram, although with changing colours, was much simpler than the official one (see link below)

By this time I was pretty sure that my battery was a counterfeit. The final solid proof came from the battery's serial number shown by the camera: as you can see in other posts here (thank you all!), counterfeit batteries have a 7 character serial number while original ones have a 8 character serial number. Sure enough, mine had 7.

As they are currently more than 60 suppliers for this battery and complaints are a dime a dozen, I really recommend you to buy only from Amazon and not from third parties (even if fulfilled by Amazon). The risk is simply too high.

Thankfully I contacted Amazon and got promptly refunded for the amount spent. Five star service!

See Canon's site on counterfeit accessories and expand the [+]
[...]
on 27 July 2009
Have searched around for OEM batteries, and read lots of do's and don'ts and that the full charge may not displayed, I decided that having paid £2k for a damn good camera, why spoil things with cheap Chinese batteries, so bought the Canon battery, and it's great. Managed 920 shots the first time out.
on 21 October 2013
Looked the genuine article but I became concerned when the battery lost 25% of its charge in a single day without being in the camera. I am new to Canon so looked for Canon battery problems on the web. A very useful u-Tube video gives you an idea in differentiating genuine from fake. This battery only had a 7 digit serial number whereas genuine Canon batteries have an 8 digit serial number. Good old Amazon Customer Service though, and a refund will be made on the battery's return to Amazon. The seller by the way was speedy link and fulfilled by Amazon. Canon LP-E6 Battery Pack

Update: Since posting the review, I purchased a battery from Bristol Cameras (extra £22.00) The packaging on the new battery is much more secure being sealed ALL the way round (and difficult to open!) than the battery packaging as supplied by speedy link. The battery simply slid out of the unseal bottom of that packaging. Buyer beware.
on 4 October 2009
This is,in my humble opinion, a brilliant battery. It does exactly what the Canon blurb says. Only 4 stars because of the expense and it surely cannot be beyond the wit of all those Canon boffins to have made this fit the 30, 40, 50 or 5D Now I have to carry two sets of batteries and a charger for each set....a real downer....Still a great battery.
on 14 March 2010
I wanted to get a spare battery to go with a newly-purchased Cannon D7.

With my previous Canon (500D) I used cheap non-Canon batteries which worked just fine, so my first thought was to look around for substitute batteries.

I couldn't immediately find any substitutes, so I settled for the time being with another 'official' Canon battery.

One advantage of using a genuine Canon battery is that it does 'talk' to the camera, and will allow the camera to tell you about the condition of the battery.

For example, the battery is telling the camera at the moment that:

(a) It has 81% power remaining,
(b) It has processed 308 exposures so far, and
(c) It's 're-charge' capability is 'perfect'.

Whether it's worth paying for this information, I'm not really sure.

I must admit that the capacity of the battery does seem rather good, though.

However, I'd like to think that it won't be long before some non-Canon batteries will be available at 10% the cost of the original.

Oh yes. Charge time -- about two-and-a-half hours from dead.
on 12 June 2015
These are fake. The signature code the camera reads from the battery is a 7 digit code. Genuine canon battery have an 8 digit code. These are not even convincing fakes, they feel different, lose charge fast and are very tight to get in the camera.

Not even the sticker on the rear of the battery is similar!!

I find it hard to believe after paying £100 for 2 batteries you assume I wouldn't notice your intentionally selling cheap batteries instead of actual Canon goods.

Fraud.
review image
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 5 September 2011
I decided to buy the genuine Canon item rather than a cheaper clone, and this is definitely genuine. Keen photographers with several batteries may like to know (I found this by accident) that when you drill down through the battery menu and "register" the battery (the camera does NOT do this automatically), the status screen shows the last known status of ALL batteries, not just the one in the camera. So if you are part way through a busy day and have 3 or more batteries, the camera can tell you which ones in your bag are fully charged and which are flat, in case you lose track of it yourself. (Of course, you would have to cycle through putting all the charged batteries in the camera at the start of the day so it can "see" they are all charged)

Expensive, and worth it. You didn't buy a cheap no-name camera, did you? :-)