Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 31 July 2005
Usually when someone jumps on the band wagon of a music phenomenon...they are not generally regarded as someone who knows much about music, and I confess, I may fall under this category. I have however, been avidly following Coldplay for a couple of years now and I can categorically state that these musicians are truly talented and this is in my humble opinion their best album to date (07/2005). Why, you may ask am I compelled to write a review for their first album now? The simple reason is that I believe it is the most innovative and the best and needs a riposte to its critics.

Recently Coldplay critics have bemoaned the montonous, boring and unimaginative tunes of Coldplay's music. I would hail these critics as themselves unimaginative and furthermore ignorant. For, in fact with PARACHUTES Coldplay were the innovators as it was they who started the Indie Revolution that has swept the UK in recent years. It is the other bands that sound like Coldplay not the other way round.

I implore you if you have been living on Mars for the last five years and havent heard this album, to at listen to Chris Martin's melodic and dulcit tones. The tracks on the album negate individual description and awkward literary praise, the quality speaks for itself.
on 6 September 2000
This album really deserves the Mercury Music Award this year. I think it's chart success speaks for itself, straight into No.1. Personal favourites of mine are the two released singles "Shiver" and "Yellow", Chris Martin's ethereal voice, quivering with emotion, you feel that the they are part of you. Once I heard the album, I instantly fell in love with the new tracks. One song in particular and that was "Trouble". The piano being played was stuck in my brain for a long time. I would definately recommend a listen to other tracks such as the opening track "Don't Panic" - which has a nice little guitar riff, "Spies" and "Everything's not lost". I could list the remaining tracks and talk about them all day, but there would be nothing left for you to discover. Ignore comparisons of Coldplay to Radiohead, when you look deep into the depths of this work of art, you can really see that whoever started the rumour off really probably hasn't heard the album themselves. And one more piece of advice, try and catch them while they are on tour which starts shortly - you can't beat them live!
on 20 June 2004
On hearing Parachutes, it's easy to see why Coldplay have followed U2 and Travis in conquering America. This album is true popualr classic, creating a new sound that others are trying to emulate. But the combination of Chris Martin's soaring vocals, which give a strong, hopeful, yet vulnerable emotion, singing haunting and catchy melodies and great lyrics over epic guitars - awesome.
The opener, 'Don't Panic', is short and taciturn, but sets an uplifting, hopeful tone for the whole album...'we live in a beautiful world'. The album moves into second gear with the opening chords of the upbeat 'Shiver', one of the best song introductions ever...the guitars sing and lead you through a song about hopeful yet unrequited love.
The pace slows a little with the mellow 'Spies' and 'Sparks', the first of which will stick in your head for hours at a time. Then the album explodes into 'Yellow', a bright and sunny track with a catchy melody and a strong vocal performance. As if that could be topped, the masterpiece, 'Trouble', is next. The haunting piano riff is overlaid by Martin's over-wraught lyrics of pain and desperation, and I promise that you'll be pressing repeat on the CD player for this one.
After the brief and acoustic 'Parachutes', 'High Speed' kicks in, a mellow look at early romance with soaring vocals countered by an over-arching guitar that just bubbles away at you. Then the album slows a little too much, with 'We Never Change' and 'Everything's Not Lost' perhaps slightly overlong, but the musical tension and vocal emotion keeps you listening.
Overall, this is a must for any collection, and has a song for every occasion - it's great for summer chillin' or winter driving. Buy it and play it - lots.
on 1 April 2001
I'm currently in disbelief that I haven't written a review of this amazing album, six months after I bought it. Coldplay's debut is a strong, melancholy-yet-uplifting album that exudes beauty from every track. From the opening bars of 'Don't Panic' to Chris's Thom Yorke-esque finale on 'Everything's Not Lost', Parachutes contains every possible emotion and does so in a heart-warming way, just like the best indie.
The strongest track has to be 'Shiver', which recieved unfairly little airplay when it was released early in 2000, but sonce then has got onto the playlist of some of the mainstream music channels. It's an uplifting, mellow-yet-energetic track with beautifully true lyrics and the only track that uses full ability of Will Champion on drums.
'Yellow' has gone on to achieve Top 5 success and even after all these months is still not tired. 'Trouble' managed chart success also, bleeding emotion from every bar with Chris's amazing voice and great lyrics.
Other strong tracks have to be 'Don't Panic' (their third single) and 'Everything's Not Lost', which single-handedly makes up for some of the more downbeat tracks on the album. Probably the weakest track is 'Higher Speed', which fails to create the atmosphere the other nine tracks do.
Parachutes is an eclectic, emotional debut album that will hopefully be a brilliant basis for future albums, which will hopefully see Chris, Guy, Jonny and Will moving more towards indie-rock.
No, it is not 'whiney, pathetic, high pitched wailing' as one reviewer commented. It is beautiful, heartfelt music from one of the best indie bands in many a year.
on 6 July 2006
Parachutes is the debut album by the ultra-talented Coldplay. It has a soft sound to it,that anyone fond of the likes of Radiohead, Muse or the Doves, should enjoy.

1:Don't Panic: 9/10

A beautiful opener. It has a simple melody but a deeply moiving chorus of "We live in a beautiful world"

2:Shiver: 9/10

Another great track with a cool guitar line running throughout it. It is perhaps one of the "Rockier" tracks on the album.

3:Spies: 9/10

A soft beautiful song that was reportedly banned in China for it's mentions of a "Spies". It is mostly soft but has a real epic sounding verse of "If we don't fight here, they're gonna find us".

4:Sparks: 9/10

Perhaps the most beautiful song on the album. It is a soft romantic song about seeing "Sparks".

5:Yellow: 9/10

This is the song that made Coldplay famous. It has a beautiful verse, a great chorus and while it is a sad song it has a positive feel to it.

6:Trouble: 8.5/10

Another song you've probably heard a few times on the radio. It is yest another soft piano driven tune, with a nice chorus.

7:Parachutes: 8/10

A very short, but sweet song.

8:High Speed: 7/10

Possibly the weakest song on the album.

9:We Never Change: 9/10

A beautiful song despairing on the darkness and faults of the human species.

10:Everything's Not Lost: 9/10

A Brilliant positive ending, with the best chorus of any song on the album. The guitar line lifts the outro and gives it an epic feel. There is also a positive acoustic bonus track at the end which finishes the album brilliant.

Overall: 9/10

This is a beautiful debut that stands among the greatest albums yet produced by Mankind.
on 28 July 2006
The start of Coldplays wonderful career starts with this marvellous debut album, full of classic pop tunes, some people say its boring, some people say its different. i think its wonderful, the best debut since Definitly Maybe, and how many times have you heard that been said before.

"Don't Panic" - A wonderful start not very long but still a fine opening. 4/5

"Shiver" - The first single maybe a bit long but wonderful non the less. 4/5

"Spies" - The darkest song on the album, this song got the album banned by the Chinese Government because of the lyrics I think that it is a wonderful song though. 4.5/5

"Sparks" - A lovely song, another great highlight on the album. 4/5

"Yellow" - The classic on the album, still played live by the band and often described as there best ever single. 5/5

"Trouble" - Another wonderful ballad that always gives me shivers when i hear it. 5/5

"Parachutes" - The slowest song on the album. 3/5

"High Speed" - Good song, a bit like Radiohead, but still great. 4/5

"We Never Change" - quite good, possibly the one song off the album which i don't listen to that much. 3.5/5

"Everything's Not Lost" - Brilliant song that ends the album in style. 5/5
on 23 February 2002
In my humble opinion this is without doubt the greatest debut album from any band anywhere.
In fact it has displaced Pink Floyd's The Wall as my favourite album of all time. I could listen to this album everyday and never tire of it, it is brilliant. Like Many i heard Yellow on the radio and thought it was a great song, i bought this album expecting to hear a few songs like yellow and fully expected the rest to be just okay, how wrong i was....
This album has some brilliant music ( Shiver & Yellow),
Touching Lyrics ( Sparks & Trouble ),
Excellent Mood ( Spies, We never change )
Great Optimism ( Dont Panic & Everythings not lost )
It is a combination of some very good songs, a very talented band and great production.
My view of this album is that it is Essentially about relationships, yes they go wrong and it does hurt but it is still a beautifull world and life goes on. It is by no means a depressing Album like many before me have said, if listened to properly it will not depress you!
I have seen Coldplay live at Slane Castle last summer they were good despite what i would guess was a very daunting experience for this still young band. I would like to see them again without the pressure of having U2 and the Chilli peppers to follow !! If their next album is as good as this then there is no reason why Coldplay can not become as big as the giants they were supporting that day in Dublin.
Since the first time i heard this album i have been waiting to hear the next one...
I still am
on 1 September 2002
The Talent of cold play in the album"Parachute" was an incipient and likely to grow stronger in the coming years.
10 powerful songs profusing emotions , love , in a soft genteel ,and refined melodies.
"Yellow" the chart hit single expedited the success of the album whereas " Trouble" established the band for further future hits.
the group were circumspect to give birth for something coherent and aethetic in a way.
the Album remindes me of some Radio Head early songs.
Even though i am enjoying the album the best of all is "Trouble" and "Spies".......
Parachute is definetly a Five Star Album!
on 26 May 2002
WOW! this is good, the first time I heared this band was when they where doing top of the pops playing "yellow" I thought it was ok but, I had always loved oasis because all the songs are amazing and often a new band would come along and have a great single and i would think this is it! a band as great as oasis! only to find the album was pants and the 2 or 3 singles where the only good tracks. So when I heared coldplay I thought "here we go again" so i didnt hear anymore of the band till about 5 months later when I was on holiday with my cousin and he said listen to this, He put parachutes on and "Dont Panic" started Oh My God!!! I left that song on reapet for about 3 days it was the best song I had heared since I dont know when! then i started to listen to the rest pf the album and it kept getting better! "trouble" blow me away and i found out "yellow" was better than "ok" Every song was a classic. That was my best holiday ever :-) I dont think i will ever get that feeling again when listing to the first track of an album......
oh and if anyone says they are like travis and starsailor again i'll go crazy!! they are ALOT more skilled then those (not that they are bad)
Here is how i rate all the tracks
Don't Panic 10/10
We Never Change 10/10
Everything's Not Lost 10/10
Life Is For Living (bonus track) 9/10
on 29 October 2014
I am a fan of the old sound of Coldplay and that's why I have been collecting their albums before Viva la vida. A few years ago I bought X & Y due to it having my favourite Coldplay song on it - Fix you, and I was impressed with the album. Last year I purchased A rush of blood to the head and really liked that album too. So after working my way backwards the only thing left was for me to buy this album which features the classic singles Yellow and Trouble on it.
After the band released a couple of EP's - The safety EP and The blue room EP (which also features an early version of Don't panic), this debut album was released on 10th July 2000.

The album cover is a picture of an orange coloured globe apparently purchased from WH Smith for £10, which contrasts with the black background. The album has 10 songs and features a hidden bonus track.

Don't panic starts off and it's not the Coldplay you expect. It's based around acoustic guitar and it's a ballad with a chorus you're likely to recognise. Shiver comes in like an alternative rock track but slows down for the verse and has a quirky guitar riff between Martin's vocals. The overall sound is stronger and the lyrics of yearning are good. Spies is another acoustic song with soft vocals, a consistent sound with decent guitar and a high pitched vocal for the short chorus. It's pretty good and is the (naturally) longest track here at 5:18. The middle 8 gets big and intense but it comes back to the soft sound it began with, with Martin squeaking "they're just spies!". Sparks is another acoustic track with a melancholy sound and a sober tone. Yellow is the best track here and 1 of Coldplay's most famous songs because it's the song that got them recognised. This song is upbeat, has a great chorus and features electric guitar.

Trouble is surely the 2nd best and another famous track from them with a great piano riff you should immediately recognise. It's a strong song with Martin asking for forgiveness stating "I never meant to cause you trouble". Parachutes takes us back to a quieter, slower sound with acoustic guitar carrying this. It's incredibly short at just 47 seconds! High speed is a bit heavier, once again with a guitar riff wrapped around the vocals. It's still got the quiet, relaxed sound that this album has throughout. We never change is another acoustic track with a soft tone and electric guitar wrapped around for effect. It's another really laid back, sombre track. I think we've had a bit too much of that already in my opinion. It would be nice to have more upbeat, exciting tracks. Everything's not lost is a slow piano driven track with some cool guitar. It's another track where Martin sounds like he's complaining, with his pathetic earnest. It's a decent closer with a sound we've got used to by now. After a gap there's a 1:37 hidden track called Life is for living which is a folk sounding acoustic track with echo-y vocals at the beginning which gets cleaner and features what sounds like an organ.

If you don't like soft acoustic songs then you are not going to enjoy most of this album! Besides the 2 standout tracks which are the singles Yellow and Trouble, this album is very soft, downbeat and quiet and you are going to have to have an appreciation for that style to like this album all the way through. I like it and it's definitely worth listening to but I just wish there was more variety to it because then it would have been great not just good.