Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 14 May 2016
I saw Jethro Tull live in around 1972 and was thoroughly disappointed, as they devoted all, or most of the concert to their new allbum Thick as a Brick! Having rediscovered them some 44 years later via a Best of Album I decided to buy some of their back catalogue. Having checked reviews I thought I would give Thick as a Brick another try. First listen I thought, oh dear I've made a mistake here, not a bit like the shortened live version I knew. Undetered I tried agin, this time with headphones so I could totally immerse myself; I was absolutely blown away. I have now listened to it four times, and can see why it gets such good reviews. What a fantastic piece of music. I thoroughly recommend you give it a try.
on 15 June 2013
I had this album on vinyl and never got round to replacing it with a CD. Thick As A Brick is of course a classic album from Jethro Tull, progressive music at it's best. I loved this album when it first came out and I still do today. Jethro Tull are a unique band and the music on Thick As A Brick is no less unique. Brilliantly written and played,this is a musical masterpiece from 1972.
on 22 July 2017
stunning, I forgot just how good Jethro Tull were.
on 16 April 2017
Class Jethro
on 21 February 2000
One of Jethro Tull's most impressive, memorable, yet strangest albums from the early '70s. The concept of a continuous song (but suddenly changing here and there), was clever at the time. Based upon the theme of a young poet acclaimed then denounced because of his 'strongly-worded' entry in a competition. The replica newspaper describing both articles - and much more besides! - was included with the original vinyl version. Yet two more extras were added to the 25th Anniversary of 'Thick As A Brick - LATE EDITION' CD: 'Live at Madison Square Garden' and 'Exclusive Interview with...'; the former can also be found on Tull's 20th Anniversary Video, (the first Live Transatlantic Recording) while the latter concerns Ian, Martin Barre, and Jeffrey Hammond offering insight to the uncertain, sufferable times during its creation in '72. Following the success of 'Aqualung', Tull were by this time sunning in the limelight, having achieved tremendous popularity in the music world, with one of the most important albums of their career. I deem this a five star classic wonder because of the Anniversary Package bonus tracks - although Jethro Tull really went to town by designing the realistic 'St. Cleve and Herald' community newspaper! Thus proving themselves multi-talented, Ian insisted that live performances resemble 'Monty Python' sketches, and add a little humour to the throng. Although Britain's audiences were doubtless rolling in the aisles, it was met with much puzzlement in Europe and Japan where early 70's bizarre British humour hadn't yet caught on. But that didn't matter - the band was there to earn money, perform (in more ways than one) to eager fans, and enjoy the good old days!
22 Comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 June 2001
I have been listening to my Dad's Vinyl collection and I asked my Dad about this particular record. He played it to me and I was astounded at how well the music was played. The strange time changes add to the superb playing of Anderson, Hammond, et al. The lyrics are so cleverly done (and in some places downright weird). I really like the sleeve that came with the vinyl, especially the way it really is like a local newspaper with poorly spelled words and bad typing, accompanied with a brilliant crossword (with which Me and my dad have struggled). Overall I have to say that this is, along with Aqualung, one of the best albums I have heard by Tull. I also recommend to any budding Tull fans to check out Gentle Giant ("In a Glass House" or "3 Friends"). Hope you enjoy this album (and others) as much as I did.
22 Comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2011
Bought this album when first released (therefore vinyl) and for one reason or another it has not seen the light of day for some years. Got the CD on a whim and wow......it is even better now than it was all those years ago. Great vocals, bass, percussion, keyboards, acoustic, in fact everything. And of course that flute thingy. JT is still much listened to here and I can't wait to see the band again at High Voltage this year.
on 29 July 2010
A great album from Jethro Tull. I saw the band live in Norway the 10'th of july this summer ... good playing and good sound.
on 19 September 2012
If you are contemplating buying the best album on the planet, your contemplating days are over....this is possibly the most incredibly alluring,entertaining,wondrous,erm...just buy it...k?
on 25 December 2012
I remember going to the ODEN in Exeter to see Tull. This brings it all back. I played it in the car for my trip from Bristol to Edinburgh and did not tire of it