Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 18 January 2012
One of my favourite albums! So underated when it was originally released it's untrue. Gary is an amazing songwriter and this is clearly shown in this album. If you're a Take That or Gary fan you will love it.

If you're thinking about buying it, think no more!
on 20 December 2006
After Take That disbanded, I had been expecting Gary's solo album as he is the one I fancy most among the 5 lads.This was a typical Gary album,full of easy catching ballads. I was not surprised as it was as good as I expected. And the most important is that this album led me to know my very first love when I was in college.

He was standing on the stage, singing So Help Me Girl and the voice touched me. I fell in love at first sight. We'd been together for a period of time. Gary's music was our favorite topic. Though we splitted later but that was the happiest time in my life.

My fav in this album are My Commitment, Never Knew,Forever Love.
on 12 July 2013
It had sentimental value as about 15 years ago someone had taped it for me on a cassette which I no longer had. It was at a difficult time when my son was very ill and it gave me a lot of support. He is now fine and well and I am enjoying it again now in happier times.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 August 2016
Take That's Gary Barlow is an excellent songwriter - period. When Take That split up, he embarked on a solo career which saw, between 1997 to 1999, the release of two studio albums, and a string of hit singles, the first two of which went to number one in Britain.

'Open Road' was Gary's first album, and contained the aforementioned chart toppers, the beautiful ballad 'Forever Love', and the catchy pop pleaser 'Love Won't Wait. If I'm honest, along with the excellent, reflecting 'Open Road', which was another single, these were, and still are the real highlights of this record. There are some other moments of note however, including the soulful 'My Commitment', and 'So Help Me Girl', but the rest are not only in the standard style of typical adult contemporary pop, there also dull, and rather uninspiring.

Whilst you can take anything away from the singles, and the huge success of 'Open Road'', which was a big hit the world over, I do think that this album was indeed a good first solo offering from an ambitious, and talented young man who was trying to make a name for himself outside of Take That, but it was a clear indication that with a few more years under his belt, he was capable of a better set of songs. Indeed, his 2013 comeback record Since I Saw You Last was just that. Gary Barlow was undeniably the best songwriter of his band, but Robbie had the most charisma, and really, I prefer Mark Owen's under appreciated music the most if I'm honest.

If you remember 'Open Road' with a lot fondness in the '90s, then you will probably always carry a soft spot around with you for it, but as someone who was just that little too young to be able to remember all of the hype, then I can still enjoy it, even if I find a lot of it's contents to be a tad underwhelming. The talent was always there from the very start, but Gary was to improve with age and experience.
on 21 February 2013
Although this cd didn't sell many at the time I couldn't resist ordering after seeing him on tour. Music is good and can sing along to. Can understand every word he sings and not this loud banging music that there is so much of. Wish I'd bought this earlier.
on 31 December 1999
Well- I'm left pleasantly surprised with this album, and at the same time disappointed in the general reaction to it. It's a shame it ahsn't been picked up on before - most likely due to Barlow's lack of credibility and poor public image - that is his squeaky-clean boy next-door image. It's not the fact that it's terribly good - for it isn't. Only that I know of far worse singer/songwriters out there who are on the same par as old Barlow here yet are getting a lot more attention/credit for it.Still, that leaves the likes of me and other discerning customers to enjoy this album - put this album on, dim the lights and imagine you're on top of a skyscraper overlooking New York City, the twinkle of the stars and city lights lighting up the dark. Sounds romantic? (Or is that me......)
Undoubtedly the finest song on this album is track 2 - So Help Me Girl - though that might be probably due to the fact it was one of the few on this album NOT written by Barlow. Likewise track 7 - Fall so Deep - is a pleasant soul-soother. track 4 - Hang on In there Baby - is reminescent of brand New Heavies - the background beat reminding me of Midnight at the Oasis. Track 5 Everything I ever Wanted is unashamedly a love ballad that works well, yet nothing astounding. In fact it sounds like one of those chinese pop ballads translated into English - a type of classic formula that all ballad-writers employ to ensure commercial success - neither offensive nor spine-chilling.
The most abysmal sickening songs on this album would have to be his most commercially successful so far - Forever Love - no doubt bought by all those screaming teen fans out there. Contrived and overly-sentimental not to mention stomach-churning this album is worth spitting on for this track alone - however So Help Me girl redeems it (thankfully) from being cast into utter oblivion. Open Road is catchy yet nothing out of the ordinary. A pretty ordinary album made up of tried and tested ballads that are non-offensive but at the same time nothing groundbreaking either. Even Diane Warren's collaboration on Track 3 - My Commitment - is disappointing.
However So Help Me girl - I cannot recommend enough. Buy it for that track alone. Or sue me.
on 2 December 2016
There Are some beautiful songs on this written (mainly by Gary) but Barlow at the time was a young artist with no creative control of over his music which ends up resulting in a dis-jointed album.
Stand out tracks for me "Forever love" "Open Road" and the brilliant cover of Johnny Bristols "Hang on in there baby", if your fan of Gary and take that you will love this but if not there ain't much here for you to be honest.
Gary is an amazing song-writer, singer, producer and this album proves all these! I love the album! I have to confess OPEN ROAD song is my favourite! He will not disappointed you.
on 9 June 2013
What can I say,I have every Take That single/album as well as any of their solo efforts and I just love them all. I really really love this album and could listen to it all day.Its amazing especially Forever Love. I remember when thsi was first realeased and listening to it in my car,just after I first passed my test.
on 10 March 2013
Very good,easy listeneing. Gary is a good song writer and deserves continued sucess. Looking forward to more from him. Great