• Zorro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 December 2008
I'm a little suprised to be the first to review this, seeing as it's doing fairly well in the West End at the moment.

This musical tells the story of the famous masked hero Zorro, and does so through music from the Gypsy Kings, lots of swordfights, stunts, and flamenco dancing. I really enjoyed the musical and was looking forward to getting the CD.

And it was worth the wait. The CD is a mix of up-tempo tracks (some previously recorded by the Gypsy Kings, some brand new) and some new songs for the musical, some traditionally more what you'd expect from a musical.

Almost all of the songs are really very good - I think what sets this apart though is the fact that it's very different, as all have a nice Spanish-sound to them. The up-tempo numbers are really a lot of fun, and the slower ones take a while to get used to, but are great for belting out in the kitchen.

I was a little suprised when I got it to find out that it was recorded live, but thankfully all the performers are of such good standard that you wouldn't notice or mind, apart from some applause (fading out) in places - in fact the singing is remarkable considering it's live. On the up side, the live aspect means the show's energy is well captured and you get to hear some of the sounds made by the wonderfully aggressive and atmospheric flamenco dancing.

All in all, one to check out. Particularly for "a love we'll never live" which is almost like a parody of a musical song, particularly the way Matt Rawle sings the first line - "I'm a fool/nothing more/whose just living a lie". But this isn't a show which takes itself too seriously, so I don't think listeners have to either...
on 16 November 2008
This CD is amazing.I saw the show in August and loved it and the CD is just so wonderful.The passion and vitality of the music is all there.Matt Rawle is an amazing actor(and a perfect Zorro,I just luv him) he has a very powerful voice(especially in Hope) and Lesli Margherita (Inez,the gypsy queen) is wonderful in Bamboleo and Djobi Djorba another very powerful voice, the rest of the cast add to the flamenco fiesta atmosphere. The music of the Gypsy Kings is so vibrant and passionate you just have to get up and (try) to sing and dance along.I have listened to it constantly since I got it (5 days ago) and it is now one of my favourite west end cast cds and I have a few.Buy it and enjoy.
on 10 March 2009
Hadn't really thought about seeing Zorro until a very hard-to-please friend told us how brilliant it was. When we saw it was closing (shame!) we went along. From the moment we entered the auditorium and saw the set we were impressed. Then, when the show started, my wife and I were totally blown away. This is a wonderful, life-affirming, show which deserved to run a lot longer. The CD, when I get it, will be a wonderful reminder of a superb experience. Let's hope, after its travels around the world, Zorro returns to London. And congratulations to Inez on her Olivier Award - thoroughly deserved.
on 2 March 2009
I saw this new musical in Southampton before its London opening & I was blown away. So much energy & atmosphere. Cast & crew delivered on every leval. Foot tapping & hand clapping fun. This CD brings it all back & captures the flavour & energy of the show perfectly. See the show then buy ths CD and play it with volume turned up. Fantastic!
on 8 November 2008
I can't wait for this cd! I saw the show in London just after it opened. I'm looking forward to the cd evoking the same energy and atmosphere of the wonderful blend of authentic flamenco music/dancing and more traditional West End musical theatre performances, in my own home!!!
on 28 June 2011
Had to go and see the show when it was on in the West End and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Unfortunately the energy does not translate to the cast recording in my view. Nice songs but probably better off sticking to the Gypsy Kings's greatest hits for this type of music.
on 13 April 2009
This is an enjoyable listen, with all of the original London cast singing. At the end of most of the songs you can hear the audience applauding - this may be a slight drawback for some, but the sound quality of the singing is not affected by what appears to be a live recording.
on 16 February 2012
Typically Amazon quality service. The item arrived within 3 working days. The CD of the theatrical play Zorro is great - specially for roads trips. My wife and I have been enjoying it a lot.
on 5 February 2014
it's a new show & i'll be in it in march next year 2015, with kms @ solihull arts complex wonted to hear the music
on 6 December 2008
I enjoyed this musical very much and it was excellently acted especially by the actors for Zorro and the gypsy lady. My one complaint, and it's not one that should ever stop anyone from seeing this lively fun musical with delightful gypsy music, is that it's not quite the original story. It appears to be based on a fan story - by an admittedly very good writer, Isabel Allende - who said Zorro was one of her childhood heroes and wrote a story about his childhood and teens etc, in which he does have some of the adventures we see in the musical. Whilst the book is very entertaining to read, it's not at all as I see Zorro so ultimately I found it a bit disappointing, so I wasn't entirely thrilled to find the musical following it, but I can see that Gypsy Kings would see it as more suitable for a musical because of the far better opportunities for musical numbers. So, don't be put off, see it as a version of Zorro and that way it works excellently.

The Zorro I love is more based on the original book - Tyrone Power's exciting and often very very funny version which I don't think has been bettered except for all I know by Douglas Fairbanks in an old silent but I haven't seen that. It also gives some attention to Zorro's lady love, whilst in the musical she rarely appears and is almost a bit part whilst the gypsy lady with whom he has been having lots of fun earlier takes the star part - obviously another excellent opportunity for lively music whilst the heroine is more for sentimental love songs than gypsy dances.

So, see it, enjoy it, but worth seeing some of the movies as well for another angle on Zorro. Not just Tyrone Power's wonderful portrayal with surely the most accomplished sword fight ever in a movie (Power and Sanders both expert fencers, even better I think than Errol Flynn though Toby Stephens and Pierce Brosnan have a magnificent swordfight all over the place in Die Another Day which is also superior stuff) and also the delightful recent movies with Antonio Banderas who is a simply splendid "new Zorro". Here again you find a very different angle on Zorro who has been imprisoned for a long time, after the "Tyrone Power story" and is bitter and angry - played by Anthony Hopkins you can imagine this is a very different Zorro to the lighthearted guy in the musical!

All fine versions on an old book by Johnson McCulley, in which you can find out who Zorro really was originally before films and TV and spin off books some by McCulley himself enhanced the legend.