• Dare!
  • Customer reviews

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 June 2017
Highly enjoyable synth pop LP from 1981 featuring no fewer than 4 great singles :- 'Open Your Heart', 'The Sound Of The Crowd', 'Love Action' and the insanely catchy No 1 smash 'Don't You Want Me'. Of the remaining 6 tracks, 'I Am The Law' is an unusually stately song which segues cleverly into the bouncy 'Seconds' whilst 'Darkness' is a very classy outing as well. Well worth investing in here I would say.
3 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 26 August 2017
I love DARE to death. So many great songs on one album, sounds incredible, but it's true. As pioneers of the New Wave/New Romantic movement back in the early 1980's, The Human League achieved cult status before anyone could say Jack Robinson. Their unique image, combined with great vocals and well-crafted pop, propelled them instantly to the top of the charts. If you're hesitating to purchase this gem, don't, as it will give you a lifetime of listening pleasure. I know that there are other versions of this classic out there with remixes and whatnot, but I recommend sticking to the original album, it's the real McCoy, and in my mind, still the best version. It has been remastered and sounds absolutely crystal clear.
on 7 March 2018
Human League's Dare was groundbreaking at the time of release and its influence and quality has not waned since its release in the early 80s. There is not much I can add in terms of how good this album is and the only disappointment is that the group (in all its varying iterations) have not been able to produce anything approaching the standards set by this album ever since.

The album starts with the cold, calculated, drum-machine thump of The Things That Dreams Are Made Of, moves through the fist-pumping, energy of The Sound of the Crowd and ends with the glorious pop and synth wizardry of Don't You Want Me. The beauty of Dare is that the individual tracks are superb (as evidenced by the chart success of Don't You Want Me, Love Action and The Sound of the Crowd); however, the album still functions superbly as a complete piece of work. In this day and age where churning out hit singles is more important than constructing an album that provides a more complete listening experience, Dare was probably the first electronic release that was a great album in its own right, even though it had two of the best-selling singles at the time.

I own a multitude of formats of this classic release (original vinyl, CD, remastered box set) and of course the lovely vinyl picture disc. Why? Well I'm a sucker for a lot of stuff that glitters but it's more to do with the fact that this album holds a special place in my collection and I want to enjoy and listen to it in whatever format that happens to take my fancy at the time :-). If you don't own this album already then you need to rectify that promptly as Dare is a masterpiece of pop-synth excellence.
on 19 August 2017
Brilliant 80's album!
2 people found this helpful
on 30 May 2017
This is a really good album the first record I ever bought as a child was the DARE album and have never been disappointed with there music.
on 3 June 2017
A great album from the early 80's, I used to have this on vinyl and wanted a copy of it on cd to add to my collection. For anyone into 80's synth
music, this is a must.
on 10 April 2017
This is one of my favourite 80's band dare is one of their finest albums during the early 1980's Don't you want me, and love action are one of that decade classic singles I love this record very much.
on 18 February 2014
The five stars is for the seller who I have purchased from several times and are brilliant. The vinyl record however is possibly the worst modern vinyl release I've heard in terms of the pressing quality. It was very noisy on side b and generally sounds flat, lifeless and totally lo fi. Nothing like the mfsl vinyl of yazoo or yaz upstairs at erics which sounds awsome as modern vinyl should. I have an original copy of dare which blows the new one away in every respect. Luckily the seller refunded me in full.
on 21 December 2017
The product arrived on time.
Was well packaged and as expected.
I have been listening to the CD in the car and have been enjoying it !!!!
on 16 February 2018
Loved this album when It was first released still great now great pop album .if you want an introduction to 80s music look no further also hysteria which is also with Amazon is another good human league album