Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 31 August 2017
brilliant
on 18 March 2017
Fabulous album at an excellent price
on 30 June 2017
Great Maiden Album well pleased.
on 16 October 2016
excellent
on 26 June 2017
For me personally, I think it's their best album!
on 18 February 2013
What i love about this Iron Maiden Album is the the total rawness of it all.
Every Track is absolutely Brilliant and Paul Di Anno adds a raw edge to every track.
Prowler is absolutely excellent and the guitar work on Transylvania is also unbelievable.
This was very early days and Iron Maidens Debut but WHAT A DEBUT!!!!.
I know Steve Harris has gone on record to say that the production on this could have been better but i totally disagree as this is Iron Maiden at there very best and totally RAW!!!!.
Every Heavy Metal or Rock Band has a stand out classic such as Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
But i believe and still believe today that the Track "Phantom of the Opera" should join those Classics as it has to be one the very best Heavy Metal Tracks of all time as the Guitar Work and Musicianship and interchanges are on a different level even with today's standards.
I would say the best Debut Heavy Metal Album of all time.
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2011
I first bought this album nearly 30 years ago and it sounds just as good today as it did then. Maiden have released some good albums over the years but in my opinion none of them better this. I can't understand the argument that Bruce Dickinson is a better vocalist than Paul Di'anno, a more commercial sounding voice maybe but I'll always regret the day Paul left the band. Fantastic album!
on 24 October 2012
i ordered all 8 lps and i already have the box with the 1st 2 picture discs still sealed, i will never unseal my copies as i already have the first press lps from back in the day also have the cds too, i see this here for £250 already with just 2 lps so what will all 8 lps be worth in the box? have to wait and see.....
on 13 December 2012
I feel I have to write something in response to the more negative reviews here.

Yes £250 is expensive for a box set, but the thing you have to remember is that it didn't cost that much when it was a new release.

I pre-ordered all eight picture discs as soon as they became available on Amazon, and I received an email a few weeks later saying that I could cancel my order of the first two LPs and change it to this box with the albums inside. It cost £40.10, which was actually a couple of quid LESS than just the two LPs alone.

So, there's no rip-off here other than people trying to make a quick buck by selling a second-hand copy for a £200 profit. And that is nothing to do with the band or Amazon.

And yes, of course picture discs don't sound quite as good as black or coloured vinyl, but that's the nature of the beast (ha!).
on 15 October 2014
Reissued in October 2014 this reprint is a straight copy of the original 1980 release. Adding a new barcode and a Internet address to the artwork. For me the new print in better quality but not by too much. Better printing techniques and higher resolution is most likely why it seems sharper. But the sleeve is also better quality cardboard, tougher and more durable. The print labels do look darker on this edition, not sure if it is a fault on production line but it is no real problem.
Printed from original masters (this is not the 1998 re master) on 180g black vinyl the album looks nice and new and glossy.
Now the sound, yes it is good and I think a nice like for like transfer. The band always were less positive on the first albums production but for me I love it. The drums sound great as do the guitars but for me the vocals was always the first albums plus point. Paul still sounds great and the feel is there. Turning the volume up and that bite the band always had is still there. Phantom of the Opera sounds terrific.
Like me if you want to replace those loved old vinyl albums then now is the time.