VINE VOICEon 16 April 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Well, as someone who has suffered countless numbers of virus attacks and spyware infestations I thought this product might be a good idea, and on the face of it, it appears so. Although I have not had the product for very long I have had the unfortunate privilege of trying out many different Spyware and virus applications. I decided to compare this product to AVG's Anti-Spyware Program as AVG seems to be the most popular application out there.

INSTALLATION:

The installation process was a breeze and ran quickly with no real consequence. The only thing I could fault the program for was that I had to reboot my computer in order for the program to work. This is understandable however as the program focuses on registry files a lot.

RUNNING IN GENERAL:

In general the running of the program is very smooth and quick. The PC I am running the program on has 4GB RAM, a 3.00GHz AMD Dual Core processor and an nVidia 8600 GT Graphics card and the program runs fine. One problem I have always found with "anti software" was that it took a large amount of memory running in the background and loading up as the computer starts, although Webroot Spy Sweeper seems to run almost undetectably in the system tray and even when it is in full swing - allowing you to carry out sweeps of the system without compromising performance.

The software has detected quite a few "threats", albeit most of those are cookies which pose no real issue. Coincidentally Webroot Spy Sweeper discovered a small Cookie on it's first sweep and moment later out of the blue AVG suddenly detected this threat. The only thing that seems logical here is that Webroot woke the file up which in turn activated AVG. Interesting.

DOWNSIDES:

The only downside I can think of is that the program does not come with a virus or root kit scanner. You have to add these additionally at a cost or buy the "all-in-one" package. Yet somehow having a dedicated Spyware Sweeper seems safer than having a product which handles everything. Although this is probably just a false sense of security that I have.

CONCLUSION:

Webroot Spy Sweeper is capable of protecting your system from spyware threats but not much else. If you're looking for full protection then buy the add-on packages or get a program which can handle everything. If it is just Spyware you're vulnerable to then this should adequately do the job for the foreseeable future.
VINE VOICEon 4 May 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The initial install was no problem, nor was registration or setup. The GUI is plain to ugly, but that's only aesthetically, navigating it and using it are pretty straightforward. It is possible and simple enough to set up a scheduled scan, which so far has worked fine.

It has scanned three times now and returned the expected results. I am very security conscious and I wasn't expecting it to come up with anything much more than tracking cookies, but it did find one low-level piece of spyware on the initial scan.

There is an option of upgrading it to antivirus as well, but I'm covered for that, so haven't explored it.

It doesn't seem very keen on games or Mozilla Thunderbird. I keep getting error messages referring to it's inability to scan email attachments, which is curious because none of the mail it was scanning at the time had attachments. Also when in long gaming sessions, which is frequently for me, it will quite happily bring me out of the game either to inform me, smugly, that it has updated, or for an "unknown error" report. Fortunately you have the option for it not to tell you of similar errors again. There is also game mode, which disables notifiers, but this lasts for a woefully short four hours before disabling itself.

In summary, it seems capable of it's designated function, but it's not pretty to look at and has one or two bugs. However for £20, I would say it is quite good value.
VINE VOICEon 4 September 2010
I've had this disc for over two years. I've recently decided to use it as I've got a rather persistant google redirect virus. So if the product manages to get rid of that and protect me afterwards I'll be most impressed. I'll update when I have further news.
It seems that we are moving into a more persistent level of viruses so its probably a good idea to have extra cover with a spy sweeper.
Installation has gone off without a hitch and the scan doesn't look like it will take longer than 40 minutes.

update: 09.09.10
----------------

This program did not manage to detect the virus or remove it. I was recommended to use Microsoft security essentials with malwarebyes so I'm going to see if that works.

update: 27.10.10
----------------

The above didn't work either. I eventually found the answer through a forum. I needed to switch my Broadband router back to obtain ISP automatically from ISP. What was happening was all our Internet traffic from every machine was being sent somewhere else. Then processed manipulated and then set back, corrupted.
VINE VOICEon 4 April 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I guess this is one of those products for people who're wary of downloading free applications from the internet, because there're plenty of free downloads of stuff like this readily available. Personally,I've been using Spybot for some years now, which is free, although it has become somewhat more intrusive than it used to be and for that reason alone I would consider buying this.It certainly does what it says it will do, and when you register you get a free year's updates, which for the price isn't bad.It found several items of adware on my laptop, which I haven't downloaded Spybot to,but as others have said, it's fairly slow. So, if you're not keen on downloading applications like this or your granny wants something she can rely on, this is good enough, although by no means perfect.

I've just uninstalled Spybot from our PC, because it was running very,very slow and it has speeded up considerably, so I shan't be reinstalling it, but will use this instead from now on.
on 13 April 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This isn't the first spyware program that tries to install a search toolbar by default, so if you don't want the 'Ask' search bar, make sure the option is unchecked during the installation process.

Installation was quick and painless on my Vista Home Premium desktop PC, which runs McAfee and the excellent free Spybot. However, one nice extra you get with Webroot is 1GB's worth of online storage, useful if you want an additional back up of important files and documents. Another nice extra is free updates for a year!

When I ran a full first scan it took just under one hour on a 360GB hard drive, but only found a few harmless cookies, so McAfee and Spybot have been doing their job well. Also, with Spybot, in the advanced settings you can choose to ignore certain cookies if you know they're harmless. That may also be possible with Webroot but I haven't looked deep into the customisable options yet.

Although I found it less of a resource hog than Spybot (which often renders my PC unusable when it's scanning for spyware), the fact is Spybot is free and very simple to use. No need to pay out for an update at the end of a year. But I appreciate that many people don't like to download any free software from the internet (I have friends who are totally against it for fear of viruses etc), so Webroot would be a good budget option for those with the same concerns.

Using Webroot has shown me that the products I already use do a very good job of protecting my computer so it was worth trying just for that. I'll carry on using it though until the free updates expire, and then decide if it's better than my beloved Spybot :)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 March 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This does exactly what it is meant to.

Install was pretty quick but had a couple of issues with serial numbers. I put the right one in and it argued twice that it was incorrect and then just accepted it, not sure what the problem was.

I have just done a scan of my laptop and bearing in mind the laptop has a big hard drive and I also have a 1TB removable memory it has only taken 30 minutes to search. It has found 36 items, mainly tracking cookies etc that I can easily delete, but would be taking up memory etc.

The Spy Sweeper runs in the back ground and you can schedule sweeps. It can update automatically but you can also tell it when to do that too. And you can tell it waht to scan and how to scan and you can configure all sorts of different shields.

It is only taking up 70.8mb of disk space so you hardly notice it is there, and it isn't too invasive. It doesn't through warnings up every few minutes.

I would recommend this even as a precautionary measure. I have an anti virus that is running to but want to protect myself as much as I can, and it hasn't conflicted with that.

Just one last thing, the postman nearly ripped my letterbox off putting it through, and all that is in the big box is a CD (help is built into the program so no instruction book). Surely software companies can just put these things into a DVD case and sell them like that. Talk about excessive packaging!
VINE VOICEon 23 April 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like some others, I had a few issues with Internet Explorer 7 after installing this product, although it seemed to fare fine in Firefox, my browser of preference. However, when you're dealing with a security product, you're really looking for something that doesn't act flaky with the most common browser.

Away from that, the programme itself installed smoothly, and the user interface was very easy to use and straightforward. The scheduler does its job nicely, running system scans on time, and it did manage to root out a few spyware items which had slipped through the net.

It's been running nicely for a couple of weeks now, although I'm still not happy about the IE issues and will probably be heading back to my previously installed software. I haven't used the add-ons like the integrated online backup and restore capabilities, but the package seems to be good value, if you use IE8 or Firefox.
VINE VOICEon 29 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It is a shame that so many spyware or firewall products seem intent of making the machine upon which it is loaded almost unusable and this one is no exception.

I have a 2 month old high spec machine with dual core 64 bit chipset, Vista home premium, 4 GB RAM with dedicated Ati graphics card and even basic programs such as MSWord ground to halt and caused my machine to hang with memory leak dialogue boxes appearing.

My recommendation is to avoid this product and go online and obtain a lower cost alternative that doesn't turn your PC into furniture for the duration of the scan (which found 0 results by the way after almost 3 hours!)
VINE VOICEon 12 April 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm not convinced by these sorts of products - I get the impression that they work, but then how would I know? The spyware 'found' when I did a sweep was all pretty benign and I can't say I bothered about any of it, although I quarantined the lot just to be sure! If you are worried about spyware then this seems to be about as good as anything, except that you have to pay for it - not too much though, so if you don't trust freeware products or your existing security suite (which will no doubt already contain basic anti-spyware controls) then this may be for you.

I did find one problem in that the I couldn't reliably send emails to my server with the email shield 'up'. Not sure why that should be considered to compromise my privacy - so I took down the shield and it all works OK again.

Bottom line - if I had to pay for this I wouldn't!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm always reticient about posting stuff about computer related equipmetn because one never knows whether any faults are the result of coding problems in teh software itself or the machine that you are using. I was using a fairly new laptop running off Vista. I save everything to external drives so the memory capacity left on teh laptop was huge, even so, this programme kept bringing Vista to a halt and i've never had this before. I also found problems wiht the amount of time it took to do it's scanning thing and I found it annoying that it wouldn't open certain websites - nothing dodgy just things like Ebay etc. I've never had a problem running McAfee or Norton so I wonder if it's just this Webroot software that didn't like my Toshiba. IN any case, I pesronally have gone back to McAfee as it seems to be a match made in heaven with my laptop.