on 8 February 2009
Bought this model at local PC world 6 months ago for my folks when their old modem needed replacing due to ISp upgrade. Intial set up was proving to be too much for me so I turned to their helpline (0800 026 1418). It patched me through to the philippines. After a 1hr chat with a friendly operative who knew exactly what she was doing, the modem was up and running. Since then my folks called up once when the signal was lost and spoke to operatives in India. Today I called as I needed help on my laptop which couldn't access signal (not Linksys's problem at all - but they still helped me and stayed patient with my slow laptop!!).

Congratulations to Linksys for having such brilliant after sales care. Even though I only needed it for my own incompetence and third party hardware issues!!

Summary - low profile, wired (up to 4 devices) and wireless capability, freephone helpline to people who know what they're doing
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Not a great product. For a start, if you're LLU (Unbundled) then there are no settings for you - try using Bridge mode as the encapsulation - as LLU does not require passwords/usernames. One useful feature is the MAC address faking, which is helpful when you're replacing0 an existing router - the system will connect faster if you fake the MAC address of your old router.

Speedwise it's a dog - my other router/modem synchronised on my ADSL2+ at 10M, but this managed a terrible 3M. Changing settings and re-synchronising a few times didn't help.

The wireless access point worked OK - no connection problems, although it was very slow picking up and connecting. The web interface was clean and usable.

I really wouldn't recommend this, not with such slow ADSL2+ speeds.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 March 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There were two ways to configure this router: using the supplied setup CD and manually. As I loath so-called set-up CDs that install huge amounts of gratuitous software on my PC I decided to wing it and put my networking skills to the test and set up this router manually.

There were no surprises, even with the rather brief Quick Setup notes that come with it. The cabled set-up routine worked almost immediately, and the wireless setup took a bit longer, probably because I tried to use WPA rather than the WPA2 encryption my PC was expecting. My own fault, of course, and eventually it all sprang into life. You can limit the connection to the wireless signal by MAC (network card) address for better security if you want.

This router is unusual not least because it has no external antenna for its wireless networking. That, however, did not stop the internal aerial giving me truly excellent coverage in my house from the stable wireless signal.

It can send you an email if you are ever subject to a Denial Of Service (DOS) attack (highly unlikely, unless you are a business worth hacking) although my firm's VPN triggered it. Goodness knows what they were trying to send me, but it didn't stop the link working normally. More usefully, you enable the Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) that intelligently works out that if you didn't send out a request (packet) to the internet (such as a page request) then you aren't expecting one back, so will block unsolicited communication (sniffers, for example) from the web.

I did find it a little disappointing that the logging level was pretty basic and didn't even tell you how many times your broadband line had dropped its communication link from your ISP (a sign of an unreliable connection). I searched high and low but couldn't find this information.

It has all the usual ports you can open for hosting web (http) sites, FTP servers and for on-line games. I use the former only (on port 80) and it gave me absolutely no trouble at all. It even allows you to configure a PC on the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ) where you might have a public facing web or FTP server or PC which has limited connectivity to your own private network; I guess this is only used by businesses usually but could prove useful to enthusiasts too.

It certainly looks quite sleek, especially as it fits in with my black office furniture and given its Cisco heritage I certainly expect no issues with it in the future. As it can support ADSL 2+ it should be well able to support very high speed broadband connections when (and if) they ever arrive in my neighbourhood, over and above the current 8Mbit I enjoy.

All in all, it's a capable router with an impeccable pedigree (both Cisco and Linksys names are well known in the networking community) but the level of logging and other broadband line statistics is disappointing, if you need such things. There are certainly slightly cheaper (and equally capable) broadband router/modems out there; you pays your money and takes your choice.
on 24 March 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First up, the actual router itself is very nicely designed and seems solid. It'll fit on a shelf very nicely thanks to the lack of an aerial... but that's where the first problem comes in.

Signal strength just seems to be lacking compared to my previous router, and I would have thought providing a good wireless signal was one of the key aims of a wifi router. If you value form over function then fine, but I'd rather have an ugly box with a better signal; after all, you can always hide the box.

I also experienced trouble with the quick setup CD and instead ended up configuring it manually, which actually isn't that hard but I can see how it would be daunting for someone who wasn't familiar with the process.

Other than that there are no real complaints. The administrative webpage seems clear enough and all the usual options are there, especially around the all-important wireless security. All the cable connections seem well built and the router as a whole functions well.

Overall, three stars due to the issues mentioned above. If you're after something neat and compact then this fits the bill, but at the cost of signal strength.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered this router as the one that came from my ISP (orange) did not have any extra ethernet ports which I required. Being IT literate, the setup was very straight forward; as with all routers you need to install the software first and connect the relevant cables when prompted. Setting up the password was easy for my PC, laptop (both running Vista Home Premium) and PS3 and only needs to be done once. Wireless speed is fine and obviously dependent on the bandwidth from your ISP but I have had no lost connections in the several weeks it's been online.

The only slight issue is the odd looks, which don't really do it for me, and the curved shape means it can't be stood up on its side which may be an issue for some. For those who want an additional hard-wired connection (e.g. hard-core gamers) in another room, I would recommend looking at the Linksys by Cisco PLTK300 PowerLine Turbo Ethernet Adapter Kit. Geeks may want to check the other reviews for more techie input but those wanting a decent home wireless set-up can stop here :o)
VINE VOICEon 23 April 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have had problems in the past with routers, but this one advertised as having a very impressive wireless range.

The router is nice and small in size, and designed very well. It has an inbuilt antenna which is more asthetically pleasing to look at. It has just 1 button on the entire router..a 'reset' button. It seems that ciso knew which button people would most like to use. This button didnt really seem to work very well for me when I tried it a few times, so I just usually reset the router by flicking the mains switch on the wall.

The range of this is very good, and it maintains a good, solid connections near enough 100% of the time. The strength of the connection for me improved a lot, and my internet runs all that bit faster.

Overall I have been very impressed with this, and would recommend it to others. It was very basic to set up; no more hassle than any other router. It is simple, fast and reliable.
on 26 August 2009
If all you want to do is get your PC or laptop online, then this is fine. Not great, but fine. Signal fluctuates from low to medium in different areas of the house (never yet had a high wireless connection), and occasionally it has been known to cut out altogether, quickly fixed after a power cycle though.

If though, you want to connect games consoles to your wireless network, think again. I cannot say for the PS3 (not having one), but for the Wii and XBox 360, there is no easy way to get them connected, and as yet I haven't succeeded at all to do so. I have followed numerous tutorials to get the 360 online, and none have worked. I believe it can be wired physically to work (via ethernet cabling), but that is not suitable to my setup. For consoles I would advise to avoid this router.
on 10 March 2009
Just purchased this and got it running in a few minutes. There was one small hitch during initial setup: when I entered my ISP details and the modem couldn't connect. My heart sank, but I chose to ignore the issue and go on with the rest of the installation, planning to investigate later. But once the installation was complete, the Linksys EasyLink Advisor software "repaired" the issue with the network connection and I was up and running.

I was also impressed by the way the installation software on the CD helps you secure your wireless network adequately, encouraging a change to the admin password for the modem and setting up a key so that only authorised users can access the network. Finally, so far, I've found the signal strength fine around my home. Very nice product.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this as a replacement for my aging Netgear modem (so old that it will soon achieve 'antique' status, I think!)

What with increases in technology, etc., I thought I might have seen some sort of dramatic improvement in speed, but I can't really say that I've noticed any.

However, it does the job, and it wasn't TOO much of a hassle to get running. I've deducted a star because I personally had some problems, but perhaps this is a bit mean as my setup isn't 100% normal. However, I do think a few things could have been better explained in the setup process.

So... Not exactly a WOW review, but it does what it's supposed to do, and does it well.
VINE VOICEon 24 July 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Working in IT I have experienced many routers, a lot of which fall down in the basics: good connectivity and reliability. Reliability is the main thing for me really. You want a router that you can leave turned on and forget about it. Well with this one from Linksys, I can safely say that I have had no problems with it.

For the price this router is excellent, all the features a home user can ask for with the reliablity and the backing of a two pukka names in the trade. For those wanting an easy to set up, reliable "turn on and forget" router, this is an excellent choice. For this price range, this is a winner.