Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 December 2008
Hi, this is my 2nd PS3 - SOLD my 1st 60GB version on ebay for more than it was worth and decided to buy this 80GB version with some of the profit. Although this doesn't have backwards compatibility that was never an issue for me because I never played PS2 games on it.

This still has upscalling for watching dvds in HD and off course the option to watch full HD BLU-RAY Movies.! - I still have my 360, and it has its moments too, but doesn't have Wireless WIFI, Bluetooth or Blu-ray playback like the PS3.

The PS3 Has built up quite a large games library, my favs include: Metal gear solid 4, Motorstorm 2, NFS Carbon, and Burnout Paradise.

I Bought this Limited Edition system cuz it came with Little Big Planet free, today is Xmas day, and I still havent got around to playing it, but its ment to be really smart.

The great thing about this version is it has the latest cooler chip (45nm) CPU, and gone are the days when my system use to puff out hot air, which is great. Only small minus is 2 USB Ports instead of 4, however I can live with it, as the 360 has 3 USB Ports which aren't much different, I can use a USB adapter if need to attach keyboard and other stuff.

Also v 1.3 HDMI Port at rear and no messing about this time, it all configured itself 1st time round, without having to fiddle about. Came also with free upgrade to the new rumble "DualShock 3" sixaxis bluetooth controller and USB Charging lead, the HDMI cable should come free if the amazon special offer is still on, so make sure you click on the special offer to get it, before making your way to the checkout.

For those of you who are new to consoles, the graphics are a dead heat between the 360 and PS3, the PS3 looking better in some games, and the 360 looking better in other games, but usually its hard to tell the difference, because they are both of a very high standard graphically. The Wii is just in the race for fun, and fun only.

Thanks for reading.!
33 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2009
What can I say that hasnt already been said? Great machine for gaming, watching blu-ray movies, DVD's and for those with a hint of nostalgia, you can also play original Playstation 1 games by either downloading them from the online store (PSN) or popping the disk in if you still have the originals hanging around somewhere.

This package comes with, quite possibly, the BEST none-violent game available for the PS3 at this time, with subtle humour, and an awesome array of FREE downloadable levels that have been created by other LBP owners. Not to mention constant content updates via the games creators some free to download, some for a minimal charge (usually licenced items e.g metal gear solid pack, God of war costumes etc etc)

The Sony Playstation 3 comes fully equipped with:

Built in blu-ray player
Wireless internet/multiplayer gaming access
blue-tooth support for upto 7 controllers / media remote / headset
up to full 1080p HD picture quality (game support required)
up to 7.1 Surround sound support

-------------------------Geeky bit now----------------------------
Built in 80gb HDD EASILY upgradable to your liking
Ability to run a second operating system (Linux)
---------Supported By Sony, Instructions Included in manual--------

Ability to store Movies / PSN Downloaded Games / Music and pictures transferable from CD/DVD, USB Memory Stick or via PC Connection on the built in hard drive. Plus you can also watch Digital TV through it with the additional cost of around £60 (Play TV add-on) allowing most (if not all) Freeview channels, recording of shows and the pause/rewind live tv abilities also.

All in all, a great product for fulfilling many of your multimedia / gaming needs and highly recommended. Especially with so many great 'Exclusive' games coming out this year.

on 31 December 2008
I ordered this item like a week before Xmas eve. Unfortunately, it didn't arrive even though the carrier was telling me it has been delivered. 5 STARS for Amazon on this case since Amazon managed to send another unit out just in time to arrive on the 23rd, well done!

Now for the item itself, I must say that for weeks I have search for better deals on the web but every day I had to find that Amazon just was/is unbeatable. I received the console, the game LBP included and another NFS Undercover plus a blockbuster (Dark Knight) and a HDMI cable for under £300.

I hope this helps others when trying to get best deals, please always check Amazon!!!!

The included Game LittleBIGPlanet is just one of the best games ever.
Even my wife who never played any console games before tried this one and loved it. It's not worth writing any more lines about this fabulous game as I have given it 5 stars please check this game's reviews.
on 17 February 2009
Sony PLAYSTATION 3 80 GB Console with Little Big Planet (PS3)
Well, I have ordered this as an after xmas present for my family along with Sony Bravia 32" LCD TV (not from Amazon). My brother and sister worried about the controller (we always used to play games on PC with keyboard and mouse), but after few hours of playing they love it! The second free game was MotorStorm: Pacific Rift and for and additional £10 I selected Need for Speed: Undercover.

LittleBigPlanet is my sisters favourite game and she is playing it for more than a month now almost every single day. My brother sticked together with NFS: Undercover and I really enjoyed the MotorStorm: Pacific Rift. And all that I bought for £293.79. That's what I call a great deal. Thank you ;-)
on 8 February 2009
This game has given us hours of great fun. Chance to be really creative and the expressions on the faces of the sock people are brilliant!
on 4 February 2009
I bought the PS3 with little big planet, to get a bluray-player for my home theater - and the game was thought as an introduction to console games for my three daughters - especially the oldest ones (7 and 9 years). And what an introduction! They just loved the game. It was marvelous when it started to download danish language the first time we played it. It is their absolute favorite game.

And as a bluray player, you just need to get hold on the PS3 remote! The PS3 is an online bluray player with a harddisk, and it is actually a very good bluray player. Even my wife is happy, because she got "Mama Mia" on bluray :-)
on 7 June 2009
Although I have played games on a PC for years this is my first console. I did consider the 360 for about 5 seconds but went for the PS3 because even though it is a little more expensive you do get so much more as standard and of course the 360s external HD DVD is now no good for anything except a paper weight. The internal hard drive is easily upgraded by removing a plastic cover and 5 small screws and can take up to 1Gig, Sony are happy for us to do this and it does not void your warranty. The 360s hard drive is so complicated to change that i'm not even going to attempt to explain it. There is a very good built in Bluray player that is capable of playing discs at Full HD 1080P, it also upscales standard DVDs to picture quality similar to Bluray. Built in Bluetooth for connecting your wireless peripherals. Built in wireless connectivity plus an ethernet port so you can access the internet or stream music and video to your PS3 from your PC. HDMI and optical out ports. There are only 2 USB ports but I haven't needed more so far and if you ever do then get a USB hub that you can pick up for a few quid. You can sign up to Playstation Network which is free and gives you access to online gaming and chat or the Playstation Store where you can download games, demos, film trailers and much more. Xbox Live has a yearly subscription of about £30 or £40. It is possible to install another OS on your PS3, this then gives you access to all the types of software programs that you would normally get on a PC. I've installed YDL6.1 on mine and although not the easiest thing to do if you have a little PC knowledge it isn't too daunting a task. Graphics wise there isn't really any difference between the 360 and PS3. The 360 has a few more games available but the PS3 is catching up. As for the Little Big Planet game included with this bundle, well i think it's a nice looking game and quite fun to play, not too taxing on the brain but plenty to keep you amused even making your own levels. My favourite games so far are Call of Duty 4 and Star Wars the Force Unleashed. Although not necessary I would recommend getting the PS3 Remote for watching films, it just makes life that little bit simpler. Overall I would say that the PS3 is a fantastic piece of kit that you wont be dissapointed with.
on 29 January 2009
There are so many things to make play and share my head was spinning, this game is like no other game you've played on playstation its completeley diifferent.
This game is the beggining of a new genre of game.There shooting, adventure driving and now there going to be a CREATING genre.

You have to get this you won't regret this and its for all the family. I prefer playing this to Call of duty 5

Definite buy, only problem is you might get addicted.
on 14 February 2009
We decided bought this pack, and we compare the price, with the rest of the internet shop's prices, and Amazon win at all.
Very very fast to recived it in our house, 2 days Ingland to south of Spain, with DHL service.

We recomend it, and we recomend Amazon to buy everythings.
on 3 February 2009
My 9yr old says this is the best game in the world and he has played it every day since he got it at christmas.
Probably the best part is being able to collect stuff and make your own levels with often hilarious consequences!

See one answered question