VINE VOICEon 27 March 2010
Better get this out of the way first. I'm not a fan of Country Music though I am a recent fan of Johnny Cash (an artist I consider to transcend the boundaries of genre) hence my buying this CD.

Super-groups have a tendency to be less than the sum of their individual parts for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it's simply a mismatch. Sometimes the individuals concerned are trying to avoid standing on each others toes and the result lacks any edge. In this case it's a bunch of strong-willed but old buddies who know each other well and the result is a very polite recording, though they are clearly having fun. Each member sings a line or a verse in turn and then they harmonise on the chorus. The musicianship (don't know who played what or what sidemen were employed as there are no details provided on the minimalist inlay) is precise, skilled and tasteful, often moving from Country to Country-Rock.

The two best songs are the 1st and 10th which opened the respective original albums. Not being a country fan, I've no idea if any songs are standards (apart from Cash's Big River) or original to the albums or somewhere in between, but they're largely enjoyable with good hooks. The vocals are all strong and impeccable -you wouldn't expect anything else- and the harmonies are more rough and vigorous but still good and no-one ever expected them to be Crosby Stils & Nash anyway.

The result, an enjoyable accessible CD that's well worth having -a steal at Amazon's current price- but does nothing much to convert me to Country.
on 13 April 2013
The wonders of technology, I recalled The Highwayman song, called it up on Youtube for a listen, read a little about it and bought this CD from Amazon. It opened up a world of country music I had not been aware of before, more 'lonely cowboy and wild west' than the usual run of C&W songs. Yes, these are covers, no, they are not copies but invested with the talents of these four great men.

I've got it on constant replay in the car at the moment. There are some fine tracks here and it definitely comes across as four giants having fun in the studio, giving us a good time by recording these tracks.
on 7 September 2014
Let's face it, anything that has a coalition of JOHNNY CASH, WILLIE NELSON, WAYLON JENNINGS and KRIS KRISTOFFERSON is going to be something special, and this album is no exception. It is very easy to listen to, introduced me to some new songs and you don't have to be a country music fan to enjoy it, because that is what you do when you play it, enjoy it.
on 20 June 2017
Old favourites sing old favourites
on 23 October 2017
Wow, does a collection get any better. Great bunch of guys singing great songs.
on 15 February 2018
You can't go wrong with these boys
on 8 March 2016
Four of the best country singers on one disc most of the songs are written by them
on 23 November 2013
I looked forward to hearing this CD after I ordered it BUT I listened to it in the car tonight and I was rather disappointed with it. The CD did not live up to the Title track, (which I always loved) and maybe 3 more tracks were OK and I was not aware of any of the other tracks before now. Perhaps it will grow on me in time BUT that was not required with the title track. ( I loved that from the first time I heard it on the Radio. I am very glad that I did not pay full new price for it but rather a reasonable used price
on 20 June 2016
Got this for my Husband for Fathers Day and he Loves it Arrived well before delivery due date Highly Recommend this CD
on 14 December 2017