Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 4 October 2009
I bought this album with the reservation that it had a 'budget' tag and did not expect much. However, I have been pleasantly surprised. Good songs, good mixing, great performances and incredible value for money.
on 7 July 2014
I bought this soley for the song highwayman as it was cheap.

I like country music and I am a big fan of the four legends performing on this album. If you are a casual listerner and have no specific music genre to call your own (I would class myself in this bracket) then this probably isn't the best album to buy. Yes it is a good album. I like most of the songs but in my opinion there are some poor ones on there also.

If you are new to the genre then you'd proabbly be better off giving this a wide birth and looking for a multi artist compleation instead.

As mentioned I like highwayman which is there but some of the other songs I really like and I know this quartet performed arent. I knew this before I purchased but I was hoping all the songs I didn't know where as good as some of the ones I did (ghost riders in the sky, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys) and sadly they're not.

overall a nice collection of songs but I find no.1 gets repeated and the rest largely gets ignored.
on 1 August 2009
So four of country's all time greats get together, and you get what?. Well, brilliance, in short.

The guys get together and reinterpret some of their own songs to great effect. The voices come together fantastially well, trading off each other and adding multiple dimensions to previously fairly flat songs.

For me, the jewel of the crown in this collection is Silver Stallion. Now, if you listen to this song and don't feel like getting a motorbike and riding away from your life, then you are dead or clinically insane. It's scientific, it is THAT good.

And I think there is a DVD out there as well. Well, what are you waiting for, get them both!!!
on 30 August 2009
I can not fault this item. Absolutely fantastic. Played it over and over again. If you love country music this is one for your collection.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 October 2013
This was bought as part of my discovery of Johnny Cash.

This compilation of the groups first two albums back-to-back makes an enjoyable listen. It's relaxing there is some good American country style storytelling contained within the lyrics of the songs.

When listening to this collection for the first time it seemed that the majority of the songs sounded subdued. Partly this might be because the majority of the songs are of the same slow to medium pace so when the 20 songs are played together few come across as being particularly memorable.

The inclusion of a re-work of Johnny Cash's "Big River" gave a rare injection of energy.
There is some gentle toe-tapping on "Welfare Line","The Twentieth Century Is Almost Over" and "Songs That Make A Difference". I also like "Born And Raised In Black And White", which is worthy of a mention.

The collection could have done with a re-work of the Waylon Jennings, Dukes Of Hazard theme "Good Old Boys" to provide some more familiarity, particularly for those of us in the UK who are generally not so familiar with the likes of Jennings.

I was watching some of the clips of the "Highwaymen Live" on YouTube and this looks really entertaining so I have ordered a copy on DVD. I notice that the set listing of the live show does include quite a few of Cash's Rockabilly standards, so I am anticipating enjoying the live show more.

On second listen I had found that the collection had grown on me, with the underlying quality of the artists shining through.
on 20 August 2016
This is one CD which I have waited a long time to come as like The Traveling Willobys which was made up of top Country and western stars this is the same it is made up of top Country And Western singers such as Johnny Cash Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
on 12 January 2012
Mustn't sound negative actually about this compilation as I have loved listening to it, but it is a tad depressing and very sort of trad Country stuff. Having said that it was a bargain price, and it will get played on long journeys !
on 9 July 2009
This is just about the best CD I own.
Almost all the songs are great, and though I didn't know all of them before purchasing this CD, the more I play it, the more I like it.
Johnny Cash has always been a favourite of mine, but this is a bit different from his usual records. To be fair he does tend to be a bit gloomy and dark at times, but the combination of the four voices lifts the tone.
I love it.
on 17 August 2009
Loved this album, great mix of songs. If you have never bought a Highwaymen album before I would recommend this one to you, it gives good idea of what these guys are about. I have always loved to listen to these guys sing and when you put them together on one album its pure magic. Try it - these Highwaymen will steal your heart away..
on 5 October 2009
This is a classic album with four of the best country stars of all time. I love the way that despite what must be some serious ego's they work so well together and make the listener part of their enjoyment. The album has been around for a long time now but well worth a listen if you have not already heard it.