Customer reviews

love it
on 28 January 2015
Absolutley brilliant album
on 23 June 2011
All the great Leadbelly numbers I remember hearing in the 60s, but with a massive gain in clarity, which particularly benefits his guitar playing. Anyone who has any interest in American folk blues should buy this album.
on 27 February 2017
Great to hear Leadbelly again and to know artists like him and Odetta are being re-discovered by so many young performers. In the 60s he was played up alongside electric blues men like Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters by we young blues fans. He stood out from the many good country blues singers with his unique vocal delivery ...plus he had the songs! 'course they dressed him up in overalls for the sleeve photo. He was a sharp dresser in reality!
on 19 January 2010
Excellent collection to introduce someone to this artist. I'd heard a little of his work on the radio and knew some of the songs through more contemporary cover versions, but this collection brought the artist to life. Good sound quality. Real quality early folk / blues music.
on 9 January 2010
I listened to the story of Leadbelly on Radio 2 with Eric Burdon and I realised I didn't have an album of this great bluesman. I bought this disc as many of the songs were featured on the show and I've played it many times. It's truly great and if you're a blues fan buy this. You don't realise how many brilliant songs he wrote that are still being sung today and tomorrow as well.
on 9 October 2011
good Album, I have used it as reference to learn some of his acoustic blues songs.well worth getting and adding to a blues collection.it is suprising how many riffs appear in other peoples more modern work.
on 29 January 2011
Leadbelly is largely unknown by my generation. I knew the Nirvana cover of Where Did You Sleep Last Night? and had heard a couple of songs that my Dad had but I didn't really know anything about Leadbelly's music. I am so glad I bought this CD. Leadbelly's work is so underrated. Here, for [...]-odd you can listen to some of the most soulful and expressive music ever recorded. Both CDs contain real gems, such as Rock Island Line, Blue Tail Fly and C.C Rider.

If you have ever enjoyed listening to a blues track then I am sure you will enjoy and appreciate this collection of songs. The simplicity of one man's voice, a great story to tell and an accoustic 12-string to play needs to be heard.
on 6 January 2013
You can't beat Leadbelly for real old southern music. I loved him when I was fifteen and I love him now I am seventy.
on 8 January 2014
My wife became interested in Leadbelly because of Nirvana's cover of 'In the Pines', and knowing that I had a few blues albums, asked me if I had anything by him. I didn't, but I was interested too because 'Gallows Pole' had been one of my favourite Zeppelin tracks since childhood. So we looked on Amazon and saw this album, which really was a no brainer at just £4.19 for 50 tracks, and with cracking reviews from many Amazon buyers. We duly took the plunge and, like most of the other reviewers, love the album with Leadbelly's skilful guitar playing and soulful, melancholic vocal delivery. Highly recommended. Don't even think about it. Just buy this great album by this timeless and most influential artist.