on 16 December 2016
Been listening to kings college choir every christmas for many years and gave a friend my kings college choir CD because they loved it so i bought myself a new one. Many shops have been playing christmas songs since october but i always wait until december to listen to christmas tunes and every year when i hear kings college christmas carols i always get tingles down my spine and goose bumps because I know it will be christmas soon which instantly lifts my mood and gets into the christmas spirit. The voices on this CD are absolutely superb and everyone's favourite christmas carols that everyone sang at.school are on this CD so i highly recomend it.
on 21 January 2018
So I treated myself to this CD of Christmas carols from Kings. My Mum had a record that was similar when I was a kid. Playing it Reminds me of her in the kitchen making mince pies with the record player blaring away in the living room so she could hear it.

Funny thing is this CD starts with “Once in Royal David’s City”. The first verse is sung by a very young chorister and is very quiet (it was recorded in the early seventies when the microphone would have been bigger than him). So you crank the volume to hear it. By the end of the second verse when the rest of the choir join in the windows are rattling and ornaments are jumping off the shelves. Just like when Mum was making those mince pies when I was a kid.

So I live it but be aware that is compilation of very old recordings which may not be to your taste.
on 19 October 2017
We expect King's to be excellent, particularly when David Willcocks is directing. That being the case, this lives right up to expectations.
All the classics are there, ditto most of the great Willcocks arrangements with which we are so familiar. That said, there are one or two lesser known works and they simply add to the mix.
Anyone who loves Christmas, and in particular the music of the season, will love this.
The price is unbelievable, too - so much of a steal that I almost felt like handing myself in.
Buy this, light the fire, dim the lights, pour a warming drink and savour the pure delight of it all.
on 30 December 2013
Gave it a four star rating because I know it will only have a limited airing in our house. Having said that, I adore carols sung well and this is a good example and Christmas morning had a quite magical feel to it this year. Watching the kids unwrap their presents with the hauntingly beautiful sounds of carol singing in the background was lovely....so lovely that nobody wanted it turned off and we listened to the entire CD together.
Theres loads out there, but would recommend this as good value.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 December 2013
December 2014. I downloaded this from Amazon last year, but it was only as I was enjoying it yesterday that I realised I still hadn't reviewed it - Perhaps that reflects the seasonal nature of this album? But I want to rectify my ommission, because I think this is a truly superb collection. I have been lucky enough to attend both the service recorded for TV in early December (subsequently shown on BBC2), and the inimitable Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols transmitted live from King's College Chapel on Radio 4, without which Christmas Eve just doesn't seem complete in our house. This album recreates the special atmosphere perfectly!! The 25 tracks cover the "must-have" carols performed every year, as well as some of the finest specially commissioned works. My advice? If you are tempted by this, hesitate no more! Get it!! Then curl up in a favourite armchair with a glass of mulled wine, perhaps a warm mince-pie or two, and ENJOY!! Happy Christmas!!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 November 2017
Simply superb just as good as Carols From Kings that BBC 2 show on Christmas Eve well pleased with the quality of the recording on this disc really puts one in the mood for this coming Christmas.
on 31 January 2016
This got played a lot whilst I was at work over the Christmas period - put everyone in the right mood! Good quality recording of lots of very traditional carols, interspersed with some not so well known seasonal music. Excellent value as well as good quality!
on 5 December 2016
At best mediocre. Their rendition of "It came upon a midnight Clear" is the worst I have ever heard. If you want a great Christmas choral CD don't buy this one - go for Trinity College or St John's instead.
on 31 December 2015
Good renditions of Carols celebrating Jesus birth . Excellent with that feeling of joy, mince pies and peace. Sound superb.Also music to put on and dream by the fire, excellent
on 20 March 2018
Not the joyful sound I had hoped for but because we had a couple of deaths over Christmas, it's miserable tone made us feel even worse.