on 3 March 2016
Having owned the original pressing on vinyl way back in '71, I am more than familiar with this album. I sold most of my albums and moved to CD format about 20 years ago; a bad move in some ways (my old vinyl collection is now worth shed loads!) but my well-worn copy of Bowie's masterpiece needed an update. I've never been entirely 'converted' to CD format. Great for the car but not for a home listening experience. The compression used and various attempts over the years at the remastering of many classic LPs has often been disappointing, to say the least.

So, I've bitten the bullet. My CDs are now gradually being sold and vinyl is back on the record deck! And I'm loving it. This time I'm being more discerning in my choices; buying what I know and like, whether the record is brand new, remastered or just a very good condition original. Paying silly money for well-worn secondhand vinyl is not what I'm into. It's not about collecting and watching prices soar, it's about a listening experience, a handling of a cover that has original artwork and it's about nostalgia. 'Hunk Dory' meets all of these and more. The listening experience is first class. This vinyl has a fantastic reproduction and every nuance is faithfully captured. The cover and insert are a faithful reproduction of the original (albeit with a Parlophone name on the cover, rather than RCA Victor). And nostalgia is there in bucket loads.

The album arrived very promptly and well-packed. What more can I say, as a reviewer. It ticks all of the boxes and it's recommended.
19 people found this helpful
on 1 November 2009
David Bowie's 1971 album "Hunky Dory", what a fantastic album, even though most the songs are ballads, this is a nice soulful lovely album to listen to. The singles include "Changes" & "Life On Mars?"

I will rate the tracks and explain why:-

1. Changes 10/10 - This is the 1st ballad of the album. This song is very well known. The piano work in this song is really great and the chorus is really fast paced.

2. Oh! You Pretty Things 10/10 - the 2nd ballad on the album. This song is just wow really, lovely piano work, lovely lyrics, lovely chorus, everything is just fantastic.

3. Eight Line Poem - 10/10 - This song is the 3rd ballad on the album. This song really shows emotion and lyrics. This song doesn't really have a chorus, just a8 line poem like the title says really.

4. Life On Mars? 10/10 - This is the 4th ballad on the album. This is my personal favourite song on this song. The lyrics are fantastic, the chorus is sooo good, this song has a great guitar solo in the middle.

5. Kooks 10/10 - This song isnt what i would call a ballad, its more pop then a ballad, the song is about the birth of Duncan Jones (born 1971) David Bowie's son. It's a nice paced song with lovely lyrics and a nice chorus.

6. Quicksand 10/10 - This is the 5th ballad on the album. This song is really lovely, the lyrics and piano work is really good, and i love the end of each verse "I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought and I ain't got the power anymore".

7. Fill Your Heart 10/10 - This is the 6th ballad on the album. This song isn't a too bad track. The lyrics are really thoughtful and emotional. Really is a good track to listen to.

8. Andy Warhol 8/10 - This song is about Andy Warhol, it isn't a too bad song, but i would say that this song can be a bit boring, cos the chorus is sang all the time. I would say this is the worst song on the album.

9. Song For Bob Dylan 10/10 - This is the 7th ballad on the album. This song is good i think, the piano work, the lyrics, the chorus, its just brilliant, worth a listen too.

10. Queen Bitch 10/10 - This song is really rocky. This song has a alot of guitar in it, and is really good to listen to. Great lyrics, great chorus, great guitar.

11. The Bewlay Brothers 10/10 - This is the 8th and last ballad on the album. This song has great lyrics & Chorus. This is a guitar ballad.

In conclusion, i think this album is fantastic if you like ballads a lot and 70s music. This song has 8 ballads and 3 non-ballad songs. This album is worth buying, you be singing to it and everything, if your a Bowie fan, this album si for you, to complete the collection.
on 17 September 2011
There was a certain something Bowie had about his early stuff that makes me wonder why he didn't get to the superstar status even quicker. If you like Bowie's style, you'll love this! The man is a musical genius!!
2 people found this helpful
on 11 July 2011
I guess the test of true song writing ability is when songs can sound as good today as when they were released 40 years ago (Hunky Dory was released in 1971). What can I say? One look at the track listing is enough to see how many classic Bowie songs are here - `Changes', `Oh! You pretty things', `Life on Mars?', `Kooks', `Andy Warhol', `Queen Bitch'. This is not to say the other songs aren't classics, but anyone who embraced Bowie whilst they were growing up will be as familiar with these tracks as the alphabet.

So what does `Hunky Dory' Remastered (released in 1999) give us that's new? To be honest, I'm not sure! I'm familiar with Bowie probably most on record and tape. That probably gives me an age of 100 or something. What's my point? Well, you obviously don't get the scratches and hiss of the aforementioned medium, but you still get the same songs. Classics. If that makes me a heathen then I'm guilty as charged.

`Hunky Dory' is a listening delight, remastered or otherwise. Stand out tracks? I'm going to pick out one amongst the many. This probably changes on a daily basis, but with a gun to my head I'd have to say `Queen Bitch'. It's got a killer riff, with a rock staccato feel that leaves you bouncing off the walls.

Enjoy folks.
40 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 14 January 2015
Superb, and rather beautiful album, with some of Bowie's best ever songs. The album belongs to Mick Ronson and Rick Wakeman as much as to Bowie himself, and Trevor Bolder's bass is gorgeously melodic. Funny, engimatic, strange pop art with an almost baroque touch. "Ziggy" gets more attention - and it is a great record, but for me he was never more interesting, adventurous and playful. For real music lovers.
6 people found this helpful
on 7 June 2012
This is Bowie at his best.From the classic Life on Mars to the quirky Kooks Bowie twists and turns through a great selection of songs. And styles. A must buy for ANY music lover.
One person found this helpful
on 1 March 2016
I mostly buy vinyl on Amazon but most of the reviews I have seen are for the CDs or downloads and generally consist of opinion on the content which is of little use to me. Though not my favourite of Bowie's, I do like this album but as its quite old and has already been heavily reviewed and raked over I feel there is little of constructive use I can add. Furthermore I think anyone prepared to shell out for a vinyl copy will most likely be already familiar with it, or at the very least be well informed about it. therefore this review will concentrate on the LP and packaging only.
First the sleeve. As you can see from Amazon's images the LP is now a Parlophone release, so the RCA logo's are gone. The front cover is laminated as per the first pressings. To the rear its the same image and handwritten style track list and annotations, but no 'Mainmain' or 'Gem Productions' although 'Gem Productions' appears on the labels and the logo is on the insert. The stereo recordings info is printed top left and there is a new catalogue number top right in small, bold type where RCA used to be. To bottom left is the UK copyright and licensing blurb, which brings me to my only real gripe about this item. The old US RCA blurb has been brushed over and the new one printed over the top. Unfortunately it has not been done very well on my copy. I can still read the words 'corporation 1971, RCA records, New York, NY, printed in USA' under the UK print. It's not glaringly obvious and OK, it's a bit of a nit - pick, but are these repressings not all about attention to details like this?
One good thing. I dislike bar codes very much, especially on records from the 60s and 70s as they look out of place and I think they always spoil the look of the thing. Here the bar code is on a sticker attached to the outer shrink wrap meaning it's very easily removed. A far better idea I think.
On opening the sleeve I find the vinyl housed in a plain white and poly lined inner. It has a, more or less, carbon copy of the original lyric insert and my copy also came with a second inner sleeve. This one was also plain white but without a liner and I think must be meant to represent the original RCA one, however it does not have the RCA records print on it. The records labels are the same orange as the old RCA one's and formatted in the same way. Where the originals had the RCA logo, these have 'BOWIE' in the RCA style outline lettering.
Regarding the LP itself - I have heard and read many reviews from people on and off Amazon expressing problems with modern 180gm pressings - edge warps and tracks jumping or skipping being the main ones. Well, I am happy to report no such problems here. The disc sits perfectly flat on my turntable and has played through both sides without issue. This is the first time I have heard the remastered version and I have to admit to being impressed. The whole album sounds fresher, cleaner and more defined and is considerable better at meaningful volume than my original.
I have given this item the full marks as I think it a good quality thing. With the exception of my little grump about the rear sleeve I have found nothing really wrong with it. If you are looking for a replacement for a knackered original or you are just curious about this album and fancy the vinyl, I see no reason not to buy it.
57 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 6 June 2010
Until recently I only had a Bowie compilation CD in my collection (Roxy Music were my 70s idols) but I have rectified that with Hunky Dory. The two massive hits here are 'Changes' and 'Life on Mars?' but in no way do these classics prepare for you for the other British folky hippy delights on this album. There's a real mix of styles here and Rick Wakeman's piano playing is great. I love 'Oh You Pretty Things' and I can't help wondering if any baby ever had a more touching and charming song written for him than 'Kooks'. Buy the CD rather than the MP3 download as you get the booklet with all the lyrics plus the utterly bizarre Pharaoh photos and the hand-written track listings on the back.
15 people found this helpful
on 30 August 2013
quite simply a brilliant host of sounds and quirky delights..... from the first warm ch-ch-ch-chord of Changes through amazing songs that have been the perfect host to the vagaries of a great british summer.
I first heard its 'life on mars' as a child working in the fair on Barry Island.... I found the LP in Hastings in '77.....it was my first second-hand record and it has remained, in my opinion, the best complete Bowie album....
my favourite tracks are the entire first side and all of the B-side.....thankfully the CD lets me play them all without having to get up and turn the disc over.....
so then put the roof down, gun the engine and let Hunky Dory out ....Bowie Is Hunky Dory.... and so will you be.... delicious
on 23 January 2014
The chameleon in an early guise, this is for me the perfect album. The mastering is clean and the piano just rings so true. The louche Bowie to come is here along with the fan who does not expect the world to truly get him; most songs have the intimacy of in crowd jokes that later became international headlines.
3 people found this helpful