Customer reviews

Bad News [Explicit]
Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 11 October 2009
Whew...where do I start?!

As an 80s teenager, I watched Bad News Tour and More Bad News on Channel 4. My mate bought the (very funny in itself gatefold LP). If you like the Young Ones, Bottom etc you will love this! Down the years I bought the original Bad News CD (not this one), the VHS tapes, the Bad News second release CD (not this one) and I managed to acquire the Bad News Bootleg LP which was VERY hard to track down. I will probably have to buy this CD just to complete the set (needless to say ive got all the vinyl editions too!). I even have a Bad News poster on my bathroom door (you can only see it if the door is shut - Bad News - geddit?!)

I recommend anyone reading this to buy this CD and dont think about it - thank me later. Also, buy the Comic Strip DVD boxset (which has both Bad News episodes) on - there you go. Anything else, well Ebay is your friend etc.

Me, my brothers and friends have been quoting this since the 1980s - yes that might seem a bit sad, but this is funny to the max! Spinal Tap was very funny - but Bad News are the next level trust me. And I actually think the audio recordings are a bit better than the videos as there is far more of it and its also more dangerous too!

Honestly, it doesnt get much funnier than this! You definitely dont want your girlfriend/partner etc to hear it though - I will confidently bet that 99 times of 100 they wont like it!

Bad Dreams are keeping me awake at night...Bad Dreams, I think im gonna turn off the light....Bad Dreams, oh wish theyd go away....Bad Dreams...here comes the beast again!!! AARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! (if this makes no sense you need to buy the CD!)
on 9 June 2016
Its Bad news, do I have to say anymore? :D I must have watched the Bad News films a few dozen times now, they never get old, and of course good old Rick Mayal playing Colin, this CD doesn't disappoint from their opening live song right through all the background chat in the studio to their own version of Pretty Woman, please note, there is a lot of bad language on the cd so if your offended please stay away, however if you do have a sense of humor and love things like the Young Ones and the Comic Strip Presents then you really should have this in your collection. Hey Mr Bass man, get the night bus home.
on 6 February 2011
Released before spinal tap (1983)this is a satirical look at the life of a rock group, It's part of the "Comic Strip Presents" and stars Adrian Edmondson,Nigel Planer, Rik Mayall and Peter Richardson. The album contains some great if awful rock tunes such as Warriors of Ghengis Khan Marturbike,Drink til I die, a cover of Bohenian Rhapsody in which May himself plays the crap guitarring and the great Hey Hey BAD News in which the crowd reassuing reply at the chorus F*ck off bad news. There is commentary on the making of songs and the collation of sound effects("flap flap flap flap, dong dong" "well whats that?, first it was a bat then a bell). "BOVINE isn't F*ckin heavy" among a long list of lines and the reflective "On a clear day you can see my penis". This is great fun a little crass and very silly. It could be released today and still be a hit. The album is a pleasure. I would listen to this with headphones though it helps with listening plesure it doesn't quite work just played on CD outright you can miss dialogue. Although if you are on a bus with your MP3 player on you will laugh out loud. The album will grow on you with Vim Fuego being a great comic character, Planer shines with his drole repose and mayall plays mayall at his best, Ricghardson is quiet but the few lines he musters are funny "Veal the album". So Baically if you like Comic Strip presents Buy this album, If you like rock music buy this album, If you like Bottom buy this album, If you just want to have fun buy this album. A guilty pleasure ENJOY
on 29 July 2004
Well, where do I start! This is posibly one of THE funniest recordings I've ever heard & I still hold very fond memories of myself, my friends, my younger brother & his friends, in my bedroom listening to this, crying so much it hurt. We wore the tape out in the 80's with this one & we STILL sadly quote some of the lines to this day. Let's start at the begining:
The 4 members of Bad News are: Rik Mayall, Adrian Edmondson, Nigel Planner & Peter Richardson. 3 of the 4 you may recognise as ex-members of the comedy series The Young Ones. In Bad News they play a parody English heavy metal band, akin to Spinal Tap. This recording is a spin-off from a particular episode of The Comic Strip Presents...More Bad News (again another 80's comedy series). This took the form of a fly-on-the-wall documentary and is just as hilarious as the CD, but never quite reaches the heights of the CD.
As you can see, the right ingredients were there for something special & fortunately a classic was born. The heavy metal 'tunes' they bang out, excellently mock the metal bands of the day. Stand out tracks include: Hey Hey Bad News, a rendition of the Queen classic Bohemian Rhapsody & my all time favourite, Drink Till I Die (genius lyrics!).
But, this is just a soggy four leafed salad starter compared to the real meat & veg main dish that is the studio chat. This CD documents the band recording tracks for the album & all the in-between recording banter. These are the bits that propel this CD to unreachable heights. You almost feel that you are sitting down as the producer of this record, listening in to the band bitch, fight, swear, argue, swear and erm....swear.
Don't throw out your Moby, Air, Cafe del Mar or Buena Vista Social Club CD's just yet though, as it's not quite background dinner party music & is definitely an acquired taste. Personally, I have been waiting for this to be put out on CD for years. I have a feeling though, that my girlfriend possibly won't appreciate me ordering it.
It's crude, it's rude & unlike anything you'll have heard before or since. Do yourself a favour and buy it NOW. If you are a Young Ones or Comic Strip Presents...fan then it's a must.
0Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 August 2015
Pre spinal tap...and just has good.Some great spoof tracks c/o Brian May..but the derek and clive type banter make this 18 rated soit it loses a star
on 14 January 2013
I overlooked something because I thought I ordered the DVD - didn't know there was a Bad News CD. The liner notes were very interesting; didn't know they went so far (1 doco & that's it, I reckoned). Later on downloaded Bad News Tour & More Bad News - didn't know the comedians could actually play - rather brave considering the festival they performed at & what bands they were sandwiched between!! Gives 'em more credibility in my books.
on 1 October 2009
I am a big fan of both The Young Ones and Spinal Tap, and I stumbled accross Bad News by accident - but I think it was meant to be!

This is pant-wettingly funny, thoroughly obscene stuff which is delivered with typical "Young Ones" enthusiasm! The songs are hilarious and the arguing between them is even better, and this was many years before Metallica embarrassed themselves with "Some Kind of Monster"!

Fans of Queen (me included) will especially appreciate the slaughtering of Bohemian Rhapsody - something that has to be heard to fully appreciate! Brian May produced it, but lets just say it may not be his finest sounding end product!

Audio comedy doesn't get better than this - just don't listen in a public place (because laughing to yourself is a little strange) and keep away from innocent minds - this is one cd that really does deserve to be "parental advisory". However, if you are old enough to appreciate it (and you are a fan of The Young Ones/Spinal Tap) you are guaranteed a barrel of laughs!

"Look, its taken us three days to tune up - can we just settle on something?"
on 7 August 2015
like Derek and clive with electric guitars, and brian may.
on 22 August 2015
It is a cult
on 17 May 2015
Long live Rik Mayall! Ah bugger...