Customer reviews

on 15 May 2004
A strange one.
For sure there are some outstanding tracks here (Nice n Sleazy, Sweden and Death and Night and Blood among others) but the overall effect is a bit flat, as the music is dark, brooding and not a little depressing. Whether you can attribute this to lack of inspiration or the temptation to reject the predictability of building on the commercialism of No More Heroes is a point of debate, I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between.
That said the best of the album is extremely rewarding and packs an almighty punch, and really every self respecting guitar pop fan should own at least the first seven studio albums by this great and influential band.
on 19 July 2016
When I got this on vinyl and the sides weren't numbered, it seemed logical that 'black' came before 'white', and to this day, I cannot listen to this album in the apparently 'correct' order. 'Curfew' is an album opener, 'Tank' is a side 2 track 1 song, and 'Toiler on the sea' is an album closer. Try it!!
Anyway, utter classic completing a magnificent trilogy... sadly, they were never quite the same thereafter.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 15 November 2008
Fabulous album from 1978!

Ah... I remember when this album came out - bought it with the free EP and played it to death. That September (16th 1978) I went to see the Stranglers at my very first gig at Battersea Park.

This album has stood the test of time. I still love almost all of these tracks.

And Good value cos it includes the extra EP tracks (Old Codger, Mean to Me and Tits) but also Sweden in Swedish and Shut Up (b-side) of 5 minutes.

Also, this cd is remastered and is excellent quality! Buy it - you know you want to!
on 27 April 2014
Played this to death when I was 14, still sounds great 34 years later, God is it that long ago.
on 20 May 2016
A brilliant iconic album. JJ Burnel's bass at it's finest. It's a little bit niche in it's sound, not quite as accessable as Rattus Norvegicus or No More Heroes but nearly 40 years after it's release it still makes very good listening. The first real post-punk album influencing the likes of Joy Division or whatever, it's just a really decent album from a great band.
on 23 February 2013
In my view, this was the last ever submission to vinyl/cd which was 'the' Stranglers sound. It's not by any means pop music but the final throes of the punk era. Any Stranglers fan will love this album unconditionally and due to its age will now look upon this piece of work with rose tinted affection.
Stranglers fans - just buy it!
on 29 May 2014
The CD arrived promptly and one play later I was reminded of what a great album this is and what great band The Stranglers are. It should be played loud to get the full effect of JJ Burnel's savage bass. It has all the power of an ushirogeri.
on 29 June 2015
Stranglers at their best.
on 18 July 2010
The Stranglers is the name I had heard a lot along with other punk rock bands of the late 70's. Curiously, though, I had never actually listened to any of their music until 2010. The reason why I finally did was because I heard through the grapevine that their 1978 video "Nice 'n Sleazy" featured bare breasts on stage. So I checked it out, and it was so much more than I had expected. There were several women and even one man stripping naked during a live performance of the song. But it wasn't just the naked flesh and their really fabulous movement that blew me away. The music was amazing as well. I had imagined that The Stranglers would be some common punk rock hard to distinguish from Clash, Blasters, Ramones, Adam & The Ants or something. Actually, they are a very original band. I have never heard anything like it. The closest I can describe it is a mixture of Siouxsie & The Banshees, Mi-Sex, Underground Zero and Hawkwind. It's definitely worth checking out, especially the earlier albums. And that "Nice 'n Sleazy" video is an absolute must - at least for men. It's the best music video clip I've ever seen - although Massive Attack's "Be Thankful (for What You've Got)" comes as a very close second.
on 3 September 2013
i recently found this LP in my loft when i moved house. the LP was so warped that i couldn't play it properly, so i bought this and have enjoyed reminiscing. it was well packaged and arrived promptly with no problems