on 14 April 2017
A truly wonderful film directed by Geo Wolfe and starring Richard Gere as Paul and Diane Lane as Adrienne who meet through fateful but unusual circumstances. Gere plays Paul, a surgeon whose life is in turmoil, distanced by his son and in the throws of being sued for malpractice by Robert Torrelson (Scott Glenn) whose wife Jill dies in surgery. Adrienne has an equally traumatic life, a husband Jack (Chris Meloni) from whom she is separated after he has an affair with her ex-best friend. Adrienne helps out a friend Jean, the inimitable Viola Davis by offering to take care of her small but comfortable 'hotel' on the beach in N.Carolina where Paul is going to be the only guest for a few days. Romance blossoms from the great respect and understanding both Paul and Adrienne have for each others situations. Produced from a Nicholas Sparks novel, this film has a poignant piece of music played by REAL musicians in the style of Cajun/ Appalachian bands entitled 'Before I met You' and an end-song 'In Rodanthe' written and recorded by Emmylou Harris. Excellent acting, beautiful Photographic and Camera work and well deserved of top marks! Keep the tissues handy.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 June 2017
Against my better judgement, I have been on a three-film Nicholas Sparks binge. And of the three, this one is my favourite. These films are saccharine to be sure, but they're just so pretty! I mean who can complain about watching Diane Lane and Richard Gere circle each other for 90 minutes in a spellbinding old ocean-side inn? Richard Gere is a doctor with a broken marriage, an estranged son and a difficult malpractice suit looming. Diane Lane is a mother of two with a straying husband who wants to return to the family fold after breaking her heart. Chance throws them together for a long weekend at the Rodanthe Inn, where a big storm of hurricane potential is brewing. Perfect film for an afternoon with a cup of tea, a box of chocolates and plenty of tissues!
on 3 September 2016
I have watched nearly every film Richard Gere is in but I always put off watching this one due to a friend letting slip the ending! However, I'm on a free Prime trial and this is one of the free films on there so I decided I would give it a go. I had actually forgotten it was based on a Nicholas Sparks novel and although I loved 'The Notebook', I find the other films based on his books are all of a similar theme.

This one had a beautiful setting but I found the storyline a bit boring. I like Diane Lane but she looked quite frumpy in this one. I think because I knew what was coming with the ending, I wasn't as invested but as usual, Richard Gere was a great romantic lead.
on 6 June 2017
A great low budget movie, where it seems you are drawn to the life of two people, maybe not so different after all. A true painting of a true life when nothing goes quite to plan, even if you try your hardest; filled with strong feelings and emotions; a mix of highs and lows; and memories of a lifetime. The story is about waking who you truly are inside and what you make of it. It is about second chances and it is about taking risks, and it is about who you really are and what you are made of. I did not see the twist coming so great director indeed. get your tissues handy.
on 15 July 2017
If you love Richard Gere films, this is one of his best. How much I wanted to step into Diane Lane's shoes.......
on 28 May 2017
I knew when I saw the listing that I had already watched it, but it was even better the second time around.
on 27 May 2017
a beautiful storyline well produced and acted
on 1 December 2017