Style: Freestyle Breast Pump|Change

on 13 April 2017
This works well and has a high quality feel, as you would expect for the price. It comes with all the kit needed including a bag, another smaller bag, cooling insert and a bottle with new features. My only slight complaint is that it is a little fiddly to assemble/disassemble but that seems hard to avoid with the technology employed. It is quiet in use and the batter lasts a long time if you need to use it without being plugged in. In terms of getting the job done, results will obviously vary by person but we found it worked as expected.
on 5 March 2017
Superb pump making it possible for me to still be breastfeeding my baby four months in, exclusively pumping. Have found it better than the hospital medela symphony personally and it has the convenience of being able to clip to my jeans and teamed with a hands free bra means I can get some jobs done at same time ( just don't lean over forwards too far as milk will spill). Easy to assemble and clean. Handy cool bag gets used a lot. Timer is a useful feature. Can be used as a single pump if you hold your finger over the other tube or cap it with something. Highly recommend. Pricey but worth it if expressing 4+ times every day. Open system so could also be used by another person or passed on eventually.
on 24 August 2016
I love this breast pump, only reason it's not 5 stars is because i had to send back with loss of suction though amazon got another delivered the next day which is what I needed as I express several times a day for my son who is tube fed. I'm hoping a one off and not cos using it so much. I dry the pump attachments each time before expressing so does take abit time but i suppose would need to do with every pump for best results. If you are expressing often I recommend this pump.
on 17 September 2013
Pumping sessions done in 10 minutes for 100ml of milk. I paired it up with a portable steriliser that I could leave at the office, not the microwaveable bags type but a small compact container. The cooler bag is perfect for keeping the milk cold during my 1.5 hour train commute.
on 9 April 2014
I had a medela swing (single) and decided to buy this one in order to save time pumping. Big mistake as it is a lot less powerful and does not provide effective pumping. I just made a test this morning - expressed for 20 min, absolutely nothing came out of my right breast and only 15 ml of my left one. Immediately after I switched to my old medela swing and got 15ml out of my right breast within 7 minutes. Conclusion - it is more effective for me to use the single one and the double one. I wish I had bought a second medela swing as it would have been much cheaper and time efficient.
on 10 December 2015
used to express for my twins, great suction when all the parts were completely dry. lost some suction if they weren't but that's my fault really, not the products.
on 12 May 2017
Brilliant - have been exclusively pumping and this has been a real life saver! I've used it 8-10 times a day for 4.5 months and so far have not needed to replace any parts. I am so pleased with this purchase that I have been able to breastfeed my little boy despite him having a tongue tie. The medela bottles are also great that come with it - helps them to suck. Really great purchase.
on 22 August 2012
Due to the price of this I would start off by saying that this pump is only worth it if money is no object or if you plan on exclusively expressing your milk ~(i.e. not breastfeeding but needing to feed baby solely on your milk). I have used the Swing pump and this too is very effective and is all that is needed if you are also breastfeeding.

The double pump has made it so that I am able to still feed my baby breast milk, even though I am unable to breastfeed. The fact that it is a double pump means that it takes half the time to pump, which is a life saver when needing to express in the middle of the night or when you're out.

Looking at the hands free side of things, I didn't bother to use the straps that come with this, so I can't comment. I used my old nursing sleep bras - I made a small hole at each nipple area and I detach the shield from the expresser and feed the expresser through the hole and then pop the shield back on, this holds the shields close to your breast as if you were holding them. This allows for hands free where I can apply some hand compressions to the breast if I am in a rush to get the milk out. The battery is great because it works in a way that you can have it connected to the wall (where it will also charge), but it is also just as easy to use the battery and clip the machine on to your jeans where you can get on with chores around the house, rather then having to be plugged in and sat down - this is important when having to pump every 2-3 hours for 20 mins.

A few things that makes this machine better then the swing and that I love is that there is a timer on this pump, with the swing I never knew quite how long I had done it for. Also, the valves work differently on the expressers, which I think makes a lot of difference for the comfort and ease of expressing - when I used the swing, if milk built up in the breast shield part it would quickly go straight in to the tubes which was incredibly annoying, as you would have to turn off the machine, and stop pumping until you had cleaned and waited for the tubes to dry, it is also unsanitary. With these new valves milk getting in to the tubes is virtually impossible, It hasn't happened to me yet, which means no needing to stop in the middle of a pumping session and no cleaning tubes (this also eliminates the possibility of milk getting in to the machine and damaging it). The valves are also very easy to clean because of this. This pump comes with a few extras - 1. Medela Calma Solitaire which is great for bottle feeding your breastfed baby, as baby uses the same latch technique for this teat as they do the breast. 2. Medela Cooler Bag with 4 Bottles, although not the teats. This makes it easier to pump away from home and keep milk fresh (this bag could then go in the fridge at work without no one seeing your liquid gold. 3. Medela hand bag. This is great for keeping all your pumping equipment and bottles in the area when going out.

The 4 medela bottles that come with this are fine for me as I do not have alot of milk (they fit 6 ounces in each), but I would have thought they may be a bit small for other woman, I would suggest ordering the bigger bottles if you have a lot of milk. I have seen some woman comment on the bottles leaking, they will leak slightly if the bottles are full and you tip your body forward enough for the milk to come out the top. The only way to work with this is to either by bigger bottles to allow some tipping forward or do something around the house that does not require tipping forward.

If you use a personal fit breast shield, not to worry, these expressers allow for this and will fit on fine.

This pump pulls milk out of the breast very efficiently. I have used a hospital grade pump and I would say this is more similar to the hospital grade then the swing. When I was using the swing pump I would need to spend 20 mins on each breast and apply hand compressions the whole way through to empty my breast, with this pump I still use it for 20 mins on each (but am able to at the same time) but I do not need to use hand compressions to empty my breasts, so I am able to play with my baby or get on with chores.
on 7 April 2015
This is an excellent product. I really wanted to breastfeed my daughter and did for two weeks but she used to mess around at the breast and not get enough milk and I was exhausted. I ordered this product and I was able to get around 4oz from each breast in around ten minutes. It is simple to use and I would really reccomend the double pump over the single as its saves so much time. My daughter is now able to still be fed breast milk all the time and my partner, friends and family can all give a bottle. I know everyone's supply us different but if I ensure I drink enough water I only have to express around 4 times a day. Only negative is comes with standard sized nipple shields and there should be option for larger/smaller.
on 29 April 2017
Medela are the best.... (but you pay the price)
Bought the Medela Swing in the first place but clearly one breast at a time isn't quick enough especially if you are planning to express most of the time - Amazon have been brillant regarding the return.
Given you do two breasts at a time it's twice faster - if not more. It takes between 12 and 17 min for my wife to express.
Expressing is not the most pleasant thing but definitely less painful than actually breastfeeding. The machine is gentle on the breast and you can modulate the strength of it.
The Calma teat works really well with us - love the fact that nothing will drop if he's not properly sucking: you can't overfeed your baby
One problem: one calma teat and a couple of bottle is not enough (especially if you won't to skip the 3/4 am set cleaning) so if it works with you get the Medela Breast Milk Store and Feed Set Medela Breast Milk Store and Feed Set - White
It is a lot of money but I don't regret a penny .
Tip: you can buy these bras made for hand free expressing.