TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 August 2016
This is "The Matrix" trilogy on Blu-ray. It consists of three films: 'The Matrix' (1999), 'The Matrix Reloaded' (2003) and 'The Matrix Revolutions' (2003), starring Keanu Reeves as Neo, Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, Carrie-Anne Moss as Trinity, and Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith. This trilogy is a popular contemporary sci-fi film series, known for its 'bullet time' special effects and philosophically derived story elements. All three films were directed by the Wachowskis, and all three were financial successes. However, the first instalment in the saga is typically regarded as a far superior film - as compared to its sequels. Indeed, 'The Matrix' won four Academy awards (as well as two BAFTA's and two Saturn awards). The first film can be watched and enjoyed as a standalone movie ... while the sequels really only make sense as part of the overall saga. The Matrix franchise does include additional components, such as the collection of animated short films - The Animatrix [Blu-ray] [2003] [Region Free] - and various videogames (e.g. The Matrix: Path of Neo (Xbox)). This 3 disc Blu-ray collection is available at a reasonable price - just £10 as I review - but it presents only a few extras. There are other options available, such as Matrix - Ultimate Collection (Ltd) (4 Blu-Ray+3 Dvd). The 'Ultimate Collection' presents 7 discs, with a huge amount of bonus features ... but I'd recommend that only to enthusiastic fans.

The Matrix saga is about a dystopian future, in which the bulk of humankind have been reduced to little more than fodder for a race of intelligent machines. These machines rule the Earth, and use humans as a power source. These humans are trapped in pods, and know nothing of their real existence. Each person is connected to a complex computer programme - a virtual reality - called the Matrix, and (nearly) everyone thinks that this is reality ... As such, people live out their whole lives inside this virtual world. Yet a few people, living deep underground, have made it their mission to free the enslaved humans. These freedom fighters enter the Matrix and try to persuade individuals that the world they know is fake. Of course, the machines don't like this - and so they use super-powered 'agents' to defend and maintain the Matrix. To greatly simplify, the main story of the films concerns one man who is born into the Matrix is destined to be able to manipulate the code of the programme and free others ... This is Neo. In the first movie, Neo is located by the freedom fighters and trained. He experiences an existential crisis of sorts, recognising that he is 'the One' - capable of doing virtually anything (and becoming akin to a super-hero). In the sequels, Neo uses his amazing powers to prevent the machines from destroying all of humankind.

The first film is excellent. It's one of the defining sci-fi movies of all time. It's unfortunate that the sequels don't live up to the quality of the original. Yet all are packed full of amazing special effects and action sequences. If you haven't seen these films, I do recommend them. I suggest watching the first - and, only if you really enjoyed it, do I then suggest watching the sequels.
6 people found this helpful
on 11 May 2015
Already knew I loved the films, I can't count how many times I've watched them, but bought them for my poor ignorant 16 year old daughter, who, when asked recently whether she would take the blue pill or the red pill looked on in puzzlement with no understanding of the wit of this comment. When futher quizzing took place & I realised she had no idea that De Ja Vu is a glitch in the Matrix!!!!! I knew immediately that this glaring oversight in her education needed to be remedied post haste! I will not stand & be accused of inadequate parenting, so have bought this trilogy at a ridiculously low price (when you think of what's at stake here... My credibility as a good Mum!) & my poor neglected child has been provided with this marvelous tool that will ensure, not only her future happiness, but hopefully a good many of her friends' who all stand mooning about without any concept of REALITY!
5 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 26 April 2015
This is one of the few sets of films that I have on Blu-ray that I have upgraded from DVD. Matrix was such a new theme when it first came out and really got you thinking "what if life as we know it doesn't really exist?"

There is far too much written about these films for me to duplicate it here in a review. IMDB.com has a good synopsis. I am just going to mention the quality of the image and sound. Both of which are very good. Now my collection of Blu-Ray films has grown I am getting used to the crystal clear images over DVD, so I am getting a bit more picky, but this set doesn't disappoint. The faces are much clearer the blacks are not as grainy or patchy. There are a few scenes where the computer graphics are more obvious because of such a good picture, one in particular is where Neo is set upon by a plethora of Agent Smiths. Other than that this is definitely a set of films worth upgrading to.

I don't have a decent sound bar, but what comes out of the TV speakers is deep and resonating where it needs to be and clear sounds add so much to the overall atmosphere if the films.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 14 November 2017
A great value trilogy package of one of the most visually stunning modern films (we'll eave the plot and the acting to one side!). High quality HD transfer and with many extras thrown in, this is a fine package and good value
on 22 March 2017
It's great to watch these films one after another. Sometimes I think I do, but if I'm honest I'm still not sure I understand what's going on. This is a positive because I'll be back soon to watch them again.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 2 August 2013
The Matrix trilogy are an annual visit for me so when ordered at the right price the upgrade to the Blu Ray seemed worthwhile.

I was a little worried about the blu ray quality afer reading some of the reviews but in the end they were fine, i'm not expert enough to have felt the picture quality was either better or worse than should be expected.

Bought at a tenner I'm happy with this as an upgrade.

And if for whatever reason you've never seen the films before, no question buy them! They are now iconic films that despite some failings in the overall trilogy still set the standard and tone for a lot that followed after.

I still remember sitting in the cinema to watch this along with an audience who like me had no real clue what the film was about back in the day when trailers didnt contain the whole plot and final scene of a film, came out of The Matrix in awe of a great film.
on 13 April 2018
I remember watching this many year's ago by a teacher who introduced me to it. Ever since then, I've loved watching it, the whole in's and outs of it and of course the storyline, and I fondly remember that teacher everytime I watch it. I would definitely recommend buying it.
on 8 February 2017
I've been desperate to watch the Matrix for a few weeks now and not been able to find the films on TV. I'm very happy! Very good film, all the characters are great (especially Agent Smith, I have a bit of a crush on him, hehe!) I recommend this movie!
on 18 June 2016
Keanu...I love you! We all love Keanu, and the Matrix Trilogy. I don't need to write a review because I don't believe there is a person in the land that has not seen these movies...and if not, where have you been MARS?

My review would be totally bias anyway, because I do not have a bad word to say about Keanu or any of his movies!

Hence, this is a AWESOME TRILOGY BUY IT :)
on 5 December 2012
The Matrix film franchise is one of Warner Home Video's largest and most prestigious, having grossed more than one billion dollars worldwide. All three films are in the top ten best-selling sci-fi films of all time and have been nominated and won numerous awards, including four Oscars . The Matrix was the first film on DVD to sell more than one million units during the launch of the DVD format.

If ever a film series was meant to be seen in HD DVD, that series is now here. The Matrix, the legendary, groundbreaking sci-fi film, and its visually dazzling second and third installments, The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions were produced with future technology execution in mind.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image