Customer reviews

Velbon Super Mag Slider

on 23 February 2013
Construction quality seems to be good but as the tool is still young I cannot yet comment on its long-term performance.

The wide, slotted base makes it is easy to firmly attach a camera that itself has only a smallish base. The mounting screw that retains the camera has a nifty stepped knob with two diameters -- the smaller diameter step being useful for quickly spinning the screw in or out of the camera, and the larger diameter step being used to apply a tightening force.

The slider offers two directions of movement with more movement being possible forwards and backwards than from side to side.

With up to 250mm of extension (using bellows) I have found the sensitivity and stiffness of the adjustment knobs to be adequate and the movement of the deck to be acceptably smooth; neither too tight nor too sloppy.

BOTTOM LINE
Macro photography is much easier and less frustrating with this slider unit than it is without it.
14 people found this helpful
on 8 September 2013
I knew I needed a slide rail to make focusing more precise when using close up Macro lenses. My ball head a vanguard SBH-300 accepted the unit perfectly and my DSLR fitted the base you see in the image spot on.

I realise that it is not too cheap. Almost £70 I suppose seems about right for the quality. Takes a bit of getting used too but really does facilitate ease of accurate focus when getting up close n personal. I reverse a lens sometimes, which does indeed mean you are very close to a subject. Even using live view I find your fingers just can't get focus bang on. However the adjustments on the VSMS are down to the tiniest movement and DO ensure you get full on focus.

The side to side is to some extent IMHO a bit of a gimmicky bit; not a big issue as you can separate it and just fit the forward and backward on its own.

My DSLR with lenses and battery grip is a heavy old beast. I'm pleased to say the VSMS takes the weight perfectly. You will still need to make sure that wind is non existent to get a crisp shot if shooting in low-light higher ISO conditions.

It not only looks good by jove it feels good too! A worthy purchase indeed.
6 people found this helpful
on 4 June 2011
This sits on your tripod and allows fine tuning of focussing when doing macro photography. It is well engineered and the action os smooth in all directions. The low profile also helps to avoid wobble when you have your heavy camera and lens combo attached to the tripod.
The alternative is to physically move your tripod by a fraction of and inch or move the ball/socket of pan/tilt head and you find whatever you do, any adjustments made like this will be crude and not get the result you want.
For studio macro work, it is almost essential.
34 people found this helpful
on 21 July 2013
If you're looking at this slider, chances are you are into macro photography and/or focus stacking. I am, and for these purposes I can't fault this slider. It's well built and looks like it'll last quite a while.

You have an x (left/right)and y (up/down) rail, which is great if you're working at ridiculous magnifications. However, usually in these circumstances you're in a studio environment. If this is the case, it's possible (and I'd recommend it) to remove the x-rail, which gives you a bit more stability. This is easily done using the provided allen keys etc.

There's not that much more to say, other than that the knobs and rails move smoothly and are strong enough to support a Canon 7D SLR with the MP-E 65mm macro lens and MR-14EX Ring flash, in a vertical position.

My only criticism, mostly noticeable at the higher magnifications, is there is a little bit of "play" when changing direction on the rail. An example would be if you were to compose you subject centrally by gradually focusing down the rail, if you then change and move the focus up a little, the composition shifts a fraction of 1mm. Doesn't sound like much, but when you are at 5x magnification, the viewfinder can be filled by just a few mm! So long as you're aware of this, you can factor this in to your workflow and it's not an issue.
One person found this helpful
on 24 August 2015
Have replaced one item, and the second still has a loose feeling upper adjustment knob. Does not affect the movement/useage, seems like a bad design.

The overall construction is good, it''s' just the knob on the top slider, has a slight up//down movement. I returned the first item and asked for replacement but it's still present. Other users have also reported this when I asked. This is the main reason for 3/5 rating.

For macro stacking the device moves in fairly good increments. I would recommend making a bigger grip for the top adjustment knob, to be able to fine tune the stepping. As it is it would be hard to make ultra fine adjustments (but those device are probably cost three digits).
on 17 November 2013
Little to add to other reviews - it is solidly constructed and does the job it is designed for very well. Adjustment is very precise, unlike some rack-and-pinion models. Best used with a lens plate if possible as the weight of a DSLR with macro lens and ringflash at full extension makes control of weight distribution a real challenge. Agree that the transverse movement is not that useful but as others have said the lower unit is easily removed. Personally, I could have done with some graduations to assist adjustment for focus stacking, but only a minor quibble. Worth the money.
4 people found this helpful
on 1 April 2012
I am delighted with my new Velbon Super Mag Slider. I had been struggling to focus my camera just by moving the tripod. Now with the slider I can make micro adjustments forwards, backwards and sideways. It's a solid piece of kit as well, yet not very heavy. It fits onto both my tripods - carbon fibre and aluminium. A great addition to my kit. Highly recommended.
14 people found this helpful
on 1 January 2016
This is a good buy if you need a slider and don't want to pay crazy prices for brands such as really right stuff. I have tried the Neewer brand and similar that are around £20 and they just break. This one is well made, stable and allows a precision movement for/aft and side to side. My niggles are the two knobs being so close together is not helpful and would have preferred a metal attachment for the camera rather than cork. I would buy again though and is a must for macro. If you have a need for a slider you will be pleased with this.
on 5 March 2014
I tried a cheaper macro rail but it would not take the weight (mounted vertically) of my SLR & Tamron 90 - after a couple of tries, the threads ripped out and it ended up in the bin. I spent over a year looking around at other options.

Eventually I splashed out on this one and it is brilliant - no problems with the weight at all and I would recommend it to anyone.

Only minor gripe is that with the cross plate fitted (supplied but not shown in the photo) the 2 adjustment knobs are too close to each other for my big fingers to turn, so I rotated the cross plate so one knob is on the left and the other is on the right.
One person found this helpful
on 21 January 2016
I could see it would be a starting place, the picture shows that it could be a problem with the camera platform overhanging the end and as its for macro work the front on the unit could be in the way. Without going into all the details, I have turned the platform round and fitted a quick release plate for my lenses as they have tripod mounts. The balance is now better and the front of the unit has more room to play with. I have left the bottom slider in place at the moment but I may remove at a later date, I will see how it goes.