Customer reviews

on 6 June 2011
This is a live recording and it sounds it.Excellent atmosphere with great sense of involvement and of "being there". Thankfully no one with a severe chest infection turned up, so no coughing to spoil things .I can only compare it to the Naxos recording and this live recording definitely sounds superior to it,good as the Naxos is.However on Amazon.com I notice that some reviewers take issue with Sir Colin Davis's interpretation of Bruckners 6th, but I think it sounds wonderful. Buy with confidence.
on 28 January 2012
I've heard Colin Davis play this symphony several times with the LSO and it is a work that he clearly loves. It is the Bruckner symphony that seems to suit him best of all. He has a greater warmth and spontaneity than Klemperer in his famous (and marvellous) recording but with much the same sense of scale and proportion. Compare Davis and Klemperer at the end of the first movement and you will see what I mean. There is detail and there is power without bombast. The sound quality is some of the best I've heard from the LSO Live source. It is a reading of the symphony that repays close scrutiny and is one of my favourite Bruckner recordings. Highly recommended.