on 5 May 2017
A legendary singer with a simply gorgeous American accent and exceptional song writing skills, Dolly Parton has long since become a huge favourite of mine, so I was very happy to receive this CD album in the Christmas of 2016. I just love "9 to 5"; it is brilliant, and it makes a wonderful get out of bed call even on a non working day! (I just know I'll love the film of the same title)! I much prefer Parton singing "I Will Always Love You" to Whitney Houston (even though of course Houston has got an equally fantastic voice) since it is Parton's very own song after all. Her duet with Kenny Rogers of "Islands In The Stream" is drop dead gorgeous; I've watched it on Youtube and he sounds just as wonderful as he looks! "Jolene" is one of Parton's many songs that I heard for the first time on Youtube besides "I Will Always Love You", and of course got me hooked on her music no end! I also love "My Coat Of Many Colours" which both she and Shania Twain, another of my favourite singers have sung together, and "In My Tennessee Mountain Home" is well lovely with those cute lyrics of ' "Life is as peaceful as a baby's sigh" '. It is just beautiful! "Here You Come Again" is just great, and is one of the songs that was performed by one of the female singers in Dave Arch's band on "Strictly Come Dancing" for the Foxtrot; it is well worth dancing to! "Baby I'm Burnin' " is very raunchy and is also equally easy to dance to."Love Is Like A Butterfly" is so sweet and charming, and "The Bargain Store" and "Potential New Boyfriend" are pretty darn powerful considering the issues they address with giving away certain parts of your life and, contrary to this, holding on to the one you love.
Willie Nelson sounds well nice singing along with Dolly Parton in "Everything's Beautiful (In It's Own Way)", and it's a lovely reflection on the magic of nature and creation. Tammy Wynette and Loretta Lynn also complement Parton's voice with their own brilliant voices in the well melodious "Silver Threads And Golden Needles", while Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris do the same in "To Know Him Is To Love Him" which is just so beautiful! In contrast to this "Why'd You Come In Here Lookin' Like That" is sheer playfulness; the melody just pulsates with huge drive and energy as well Parton's own breathtaking voice, and she and Tanya Tucker, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Kathy Mattea and Pam Tillis all sound fantastic both singing and chatting, and giggling together as the would be Juliets in the well raunchy and sensual "Romeo" while Billy Ray Cyrus sings the part of the title character. Getting back to a not quite so upbeat rhythm, "Tennessee Homesick Blues" is sheer joy to listen to as Parton reflects on how she moved from the country ranch of her humble youth to fame and fortune in the big cities, followed by "Dumb Blonde", which is not quite so judgemental as the title suggests since Parton pokes fun at it with the lyrics ' "Blondes have more fun" ', it's very clever! "Applejack" is absolutely sensational; I don't know how Parton managed to give it an end, because whenever I sing along to it, I don't want it to end! It's great! The last track, "Old Flames Can't Hold A Candle To You" is yet another hopelessly romantic song that gets me swaying to the melody.
The overall lilting, melodious, big hearted country music that plays through all of these songs is hugely infectious as well as all of the song lyrics and Parton's voice; it's timeless and always puts a massive smile on my face. I've heard a taste of it from Miley Cyrus in "Hannah Montana The Movie", who of course has sung with Parton and doesn't sound too bad, but considering the way she is now, it's her godmother who's the most successful and who keeps going from strength to strength. Dolly Parton, you rock!
on 29 March 2017
Fantastic cd love it .i paid for two but only received. One .im sure it will be resolved. .
on 27 May 2017
As the title suggests - the very best of Dolly Parton.
on 13 July 2017
Love Dolly Parton would recommend this.
on 6 June 2017
Very pleased with the CD also the price.
on 30 April 2017
listen to her all day great songs
on 3 July 2017
received and very pleased with this CD, thank you
on 20 May 2017