In our music teachers room at school back in the Sixties, the album cover (LP) was pinned up on the wall, it always intrigued me as to the music on the album. Not the sort of music that appealed to me back in the Sixties, but over the years, hearing the music every now and then, I decided to take the plunge and order it. Was I disappointed, not one little bit. Even managed to play the whole of Jupiter on a radio programme recently. Great recording.
on 3 January 2018
Bought for my 13 year old Granddaughter. We enjoy this recording together and I believe it exposes her to great master pieces so she will continue exploring this form of music as she grows up.
on 23 January 2014
Like others here, I have loved this music since I was a small child. I still have my much abused original 1953 recording, which I have listened to thousands of times. I have tried other digital recordings, but have always come away feeling slightly cheated. However this version is superb, generating in me the same depth of emotion as my beloved and very scratchy vinyl recording. Not having listened to the Planets for some years now, I was taken aback by just how powerful and majestic this music is. This version truly does it justice. If you love The Planets, you'll love this performance.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 April 2016
I have several versions (conductors and orchestras) of this well known piece of music ... this version has now become my favourite. My other versions are all very good ... but there is something about this CD that is sublimely beautiful. Highly recommended.
on 9 May 2014
I first bought the Planets Suite on vinyl when I worked at Decca at the age of 16 (over 54 years ago) and have loved it ever since. The CD is an excellent version and I just adore listening to it. With the sound turned up high, you can imagine Mars the God of War charging across the sky towards the planet of the same name. A very good buy.
on 14 March 2012
After reading a very detailed review, I thought I would buy this. I was not let down at all. The fullness and command of the Symphony was excellent. It gave me goosepumps as I can remember the record being played as a child, walking into morning School Assembly and hearing this music blaring from an old gramaphone. I thought wow who wrote that. Now as an adult a little more wiser, hopefully, much appreciative of it's meaning. Again a good priced CD.
on 17 June 2018