on 8 March 2017
Delighted!
on 4 March 2004
I have loved 'The Planets' since a young child, but there has been a problem since then: No recording of this work has quite lived up to the Dynamic i remember experiencing when i heard this music played live at the Liverpool Philharmonic.
The digital format raised hopes, but did not deliver. I have heard numerous recordings on vinyl and CD, played by orchestras from many countries. The best version i had was an 80's LSO recording, until this came along...
The Direct Stream Digital recording medium and an awesome performance by the current LSO makes me feel i have come home; THIS is the one! This CD is simply the best quality recorded performance of The Planets i have ever heard, it is breathtaking in it's scope.
Mark
44 Comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 December 2014
Agree with all reviews.
on 1 March 2015
Definitely Carl Davis and LSO
on 13 December 2014
Nice CD no problems with postage.
on 27 February 2014
This was the first classical record we were introduced to as children, very young children and I was blown away by it. To think a person translates his idea of planets into such sounds is impressive. One can disappear into the Universe with this music. He's even managed to bring emotion into those planets with his incredible musical version of them.
Incredible. You may not like all of them but please give it a chance and if you find one too much try another, personally I have a favourite planet myself, rather like one has a favourite track on a more modern genre CD or record.
Arrived in perfect condition and in the timescale promised.
on 22 October 2012
Holst's Planet Suite has to rate high on the favourite list with many a classical music enthusiast. For me, it's one of those rare compositions which possesses personality as well as atmosphere.
Before buying, I dithered and dawdled over choosing a new recording (after accidentally scratching an old, quiet, and frankly mediocre version). But after reading all available reviews, I chose this one - and hoped! I am pleased to find that this is so very much better than my old CD, which is now used to scare rabbits from my Azaleas. Truly, this is a superior recording, such crisp yet warm sound.
I love turning the volume up ear-bustingly loud for Mars and Uranus.
on 30 April 2011
I used to have a copy of the planets as covered by the Berlin symphony orchestra. Unfortunately I lost it so I bought this one and have to say what beautiful music this was. It was as good as the original one that I lost, the London symphony orchestra pulled off an absolute masterpiece here. Thoroughly recommended.
on 6 February 2012
I was searching for an album of the planets for quite a while,nothing struck me at all then I spotted this particular album and the name sir colin davis a name I new from a long way back when he was not "sir" an experimental album with a group called Deep Purple, I listened to a few excerpts and I decided to purchase what a delight sound quality excellent
on 23 January 2014
Like others here, I have loved this music since I was a small child. I still have my much abused original 1953 recording, which I have listened to thousands of times. I have tried other digital recordings, but have always come away feeling slightly cheated. However this version is superb, generating in me the same depth of emotion as my beloved and very scratchy vinyl recording. Not having listened to the Planets for some years now, I was taken aback by just how powerful and majestic this music is. This version truly does it justice. If you love The Planets, you'll love this performance.