Customer reviews

This is one of those recordings which transforms a work. I had struggled for years to like the Sonatas and Partitas, but a succession of recordings by great violinists had left me feeling thoroughly excluded by them. When I heard Rachel Podger, I was able to see the utter delight and involving beauty in the pieces. She loses absolutely none of their intellectual weight, but makes them dance, glow and sparkle. In the great Chaconne from the D minor Partita, for example, I had always previously reached the end feeling rather wrung out and exhausted with the effort of trying to penetrate a difficult and forbidding piece. With Podger's recording I find myself engaged, carried along and very sorry when the final, breath-holding not dies away.

Rachel Podger has established herself as one of the truly great baroque violinists of our age, and here she is at her wondeful best. I cannot recommend this disc too highly - it is truly outstanding.

You may like to know that Volumes 1 and 2 have been issued together at budget price Bach: Complete Sonatas and Partitas for Violin Solo. The two single volumes are well worth the price; the Complete set is an absolute bargain!