Customer reviews

Greatest Hits
Format: MP3 Download|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 24 March 2014
'Slade' fronted by the voice of the legendary 'Noddy Holder' were one of the
most successful outfits around during the 70's.
'Noddy' was also mostly responsible for penning much of their material, of
course he was famous for deliberately miss-spelling song titles (it was of
course on purpose) ...it just added to the fun approach they had in song
and in their stage performances.
The Hit 'Merry Christmas Everybody' continues to earn 'Noddy' a shed load
of cash annually, the Christmas hit of 1973 smash has charted in various
positions in the U.K on between 16-17 occasions since 73'
The Band had six number ones in the 70's those being ....'Coz I Love You'
'Take Me Bak 'Ome'.....'Mama Weer All Crazee Now'.....'Cum on Feel the
Noize'.....'Skweeze Me Pleeze Me' and of course ...'Merry Christmas Everybody'
They also had a further ten Top-Ten entries most of which were in fact Top three
placings.....and yes several more reaching the U.K Top 30.
They were truly one of the great successes of the seventies.....among some of
my other favourites on board and of course well remembered tracks for many
include.....'Gudbuy to Jane'....'My Friend Stan'....'Everyday'....'Far Far Away'
'How does it Feel'....and....'We'll Bring The House Down' ...just a sample of some
of the other great sounds on board to cherish and remember.
Many of the tracks are of course great 'party-listening' down the years.
This is a great purchase to add to your collection for sure (listening to it while I write)
44 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 July 2013
Slade's career from 1964 to 1992 is represented here with twenty-one fine anthemic numbers. Together the band stacked up seventeen Top 20 hits during the 1970s and continue to find success all the way up until 1991. From the start of being a straight-forward rock band, the glam rock years, and then expanding musically by delving into all kinds of sound during the mid-1970s, Slade constantly evolved. But it didn't stop there. After their comeback at the 1980 Reading Festival, the band developed a harder rock sound, almost heavy metal, before moving into a more commercial 1980s pop-rock sound. I first discovered Slade around 2004 when I was about ten years old, and with this compilation, I was hooked...

In chronological order, with the exception of Merry Xmas Everybody, most of the band's biggest hits are here although in all fairness you couldn't fit all onto one single disc. Get Down and Get With It broke the band back in 1971 and shows the band's knack for good time rock and roll, however it is the following numbers that show what great songwriters vocalist Noddy Holder and bassist Jim Lea were. Coz I Luv You's simple but so effective structure shows off the beginning of the Slade anthemic sound, with electric violin as the highlight. Look Wot You Dun highlights a piano-based sound but not without a more serious outlook, as well as a great chorus. Take Me Back 'Ome, Mama Weer All Crazee Now, Gudbuy T'Jane, Cum on Feel the Noize and Skweeze Me, Pleeze Me (all number ones in the UK except Gudbuy T'Jane which hit #2) are fantastically infectious stomping tracks.

A new sound develops with the more novelty, piano-led number My Friend Stan, a jolly little track that remains memorable from start to finish. This was at the end of 1973 when the band decided to expand their sound. Everyday, a piano-based ballad, was Slade's first hit with a true ballad number that Slade could be versatile and create effective, emotive material. The Bangin' Man returned to the usual anthemic sound but this time more mature and perhaps tighter. Far Far Away stands out as a great acoustic-rock number, and How Does It Feel is undoubtedly one of Slade's best piano ballads - featuring a full brass backing in places. The final 1970s track is In for a Penny - an interesting number highlighting an accordion, almost French-like sound.

We'll Bring the House Down, from 1981, shows a new thunderous sound, but in the traditional Slade mould. Heavy, powerful and anthemic. The same goes for Lock up Your Daughters. My Oh My saw an outside producer John Punter giving the band a fully commercial, friendly and glossy production which works wonders on such a beautiful ballad like this one. It builds up musically too, with a great anthemic sing-a-long finish. All Join Hands from 1984 is similar too. Run Runaway was Slade's first American Top 40 hit and rightfully so with its celtic rock-jig sound. The swirling electric violin, and the song's great guitar riff and violin melody, is enough to win over any listener alone. Radio Wall of Sound, the band's final 1991 hit, sees Jim Lea on lead vocals - another strong guitar-based rocker with a pop/friendly edge. The last track, 1973's Merry Xmas Everybody needs little introduction as one of the finest Christmas songs, even if it had overshadowed Slade's work.

A highly recommendable album for those interested in diving into the Slade world. The Slade Box (a four-disc remastered box-set) is also a good choice for those wanting to continue to explore the band's work. A greatly underrated band, any Slade album is recommendable for the fact that every single one is full of excellent tracks in a variety of styles, but always holding that Slade sound. The only other thing missing is Slade's live performances, and the albums Slade Alive! or Slade on Stage give a good taste of what a strong live act this band were.
on 7 December 2000
Every song on the album can be listened to over and over again. I usually skip from one track to another after about a minute of listening or sometimes as soon as I have heard the first chorus. NOT SO with this album. A real delight from a class act. Noddy Holders' voice has never been replicated by anyone and is never likely to be either. This is the best value CD I have ever purchased.
0Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 March 2016
The most under rated British group of all time. Noddy' rasping, rock vocal is unique and while the beat is fairly simple rock 'n roll it drives along and pulls you into it.
This album has all the big hits (and they had many). If new to Slade then start here. If a fan from years gone by then this one won't disappoint.
A great value CD.
on 17 February 2000
I am only 14 years old, and have weird taste in music (mainly 70's and 80's). I bought this album since I had been humming a tune (from ITV's 'Grimleys') for several days, and decided to put my money where my 'NOIZE' was! The album is great, with lots of catchy tracks that you know you've heard somewhere before - it even got my mum dancing and singing!
on 25 December 1999
people think slade are a bit of a novelty, with merry xmas being brought out every year. but they're not. they are one of the greatest pop/rock bands ever. they did at least 10 songs of pure genius, and frankly that's enough for me. and they're all on this cd. brilliant.
on 1 September 2000
With most of these songs instantly recognisable there are still some songs that really stand out and makes you realise why Slade were a great band
on 8 January 2000
You won't be disappointed if you buy this compilation with loads of great tracks. I didn't know Slade had so many hits. Best played loud :-)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 June 2002
This CD shows us where Glam Rock came from.Not Glam, but Glam Rock.
Marc Bolan started the glam look when he put glitter stars under his eyes on Top Of The Pops in 1971 and the glam look just snowballed from there with the likes of Slade. Sweet and Gary Glitter. T.Rex and Sweets early hits were great pop tunes with the likes of Metal Guru and Blockbuster. But it was after Slades early hits that Bolan and Chinn/Chapman (The guys who wrote the hits for Sweet) turned up the volume listen to 20th Century Boy and The Ballroom Blitz. Even Bowie and Elton got in on the act, from Space Oddity to The Jean Genie. (Bowie) and Your Song to Saturday Nights All Right For Fighting. (Elton) All these guys were I believe Inspired by the success of Slades early run of hits.
So what about this CD?
21 Brilliant songs my only complaint is the omission of Thanks For The Memory. No7 in 1975. But which song do we take off to fit it in?
Maybe All Join Hands?
I cannot talk about all the songs, as I do not have enough room so I will just mention my favourite songs.
Coz I Luv You. Their Frist of six Number ones just a great song.
Take Me Bak Ome. Mamma Weer All Crazee Now. Gudbuy T' Jane. Cum On Feel The Noize and Skweeze Me, Pleeze Me. Glam Rock at it's best.
After these songs Slade changed direction but the songs were still great.
Everyday. A great ballad. Far Far Away, from the film Flame. Maybe just maybe my favourite Slade song. In For A Penny. Their last great 70's single.
So on to the 80's. We'll Bring The House Down. Their great comeback single and first top ten hit for six years. My Oh My. With it's simple but great melody to their last hit Radio Wall Of Sound.
This is truly a great CD and a must for anyone who liked the music of that time.
22 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 May 2015
Before I listened to this wonderful greatest hits album, I only knew a handful of "Slade" songs, such as "Coz I love you", "Mama weer all crazee now", "Cum on feel the noise" and of course their classic christmas song "Merry xmas everybody". But after hearing the album I now like "Slade" more than ever and the majority of their hits in the album are hugely entertaining to listen to. However I wasn't as keen on their later songs, but I did like the number two hit 1983 single "My oh my" and the over the top but catchy 1984 song "Run runaway", which was unbelievably their biggest single in America and the song does sound very similiar to "Big Country's" 1983 hit "In a big country". Overall this is a great album and I would highly recommend it and "Slade" are without doubt one of the greatest glam rock bands of all time.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse