on 30 January 2009
I'm glad I bought this albumn, some of the music is incredibly dense and the singing is funky, full throated, and sensitive. I like some of the tracks more than others though, at times it can sound like a Webber musical.
on 21 December 2008
The music is arresting. Particularly 'The Story'. The singer, an impassioned and captivating bluesy singer, sounds a bit like Tina Turner at her best but with more vocal range. Gorgeous chords and the intriguing lyrics bewailing the lack of stimulating informative content in the paper were what initially interested me. "Nothing of substance - nothing to break the spell". Plainly Herbert has an independent mind about politics. The track with favourite sounds recorded by Palestinians is, as you'd expect, beautiful yet horrifying to hear. I wasn't disappointed in this, my first purchase of one of his records. I shall be buying more.
on 21 November 2008
First time I heard this album was reminiscent of the time I first heard John Zorn's Spillane. The music bounces around, is funny, sharp, very well played and all within a rich narrative. The sounds crashes through you one minute and is soft and gentle the next. For those with a short attention span. Love it.