Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 19 December 2015
I couldn't afford Deacon Blue when they came out, but I hummed along...along with all the other lads in my dorm at Uni.

Anyway, finally got some money and have shelled out for this.

There are a lot of influences: anthems, dramatico and the ubiquitous Fleetwood Mac - also what sounds like Massacusettes by The Bee Gees.

Chocolate Girl is great as are some of the album tracks. There are touches of U2 guitar, and understated drum and bass lines. Bob Clearmountain on Production Duties.
on 28 September 2016
Great band, great album. Nothing else to say.
on 8 May 2016
Brilliant
on 15 June 2017
Replaced old tape. Great
on 23 July 2017
arrived on time and cd as described. thanks
on 1 August 2016
I had this album on cassette and always wanted to replace it! Great songs which I can now listen to anywhere on my amazon library
on 12 June 2017
Excellent!
on 30 January 2009
Been a fan of them from the begining.All the hits in one package.What more could you ask for?
on 2 January 2014
I was never their greatest fan when they were around, I was more into AC/DC and rock at the time but I have mellowed with age. I bought this on a whim over Christmas and downloaded it to Amazon player for the car which is a nice featue. I received the CD a day or two later and will rip that to a higher quality lossless format for my archive but the download format is good enough for casual listening when out and about.

I recognised some of the songs from their name when buying but when playing I found I know more of them than I thought I did. Years spent in a garage with the radio on in the background must have ingrained more of their melodies on me than I thought but it's no bad thing. Deacon blue are a good band, a nice change from todays mostly screaming (sing it loud - sing it proud) vocalists they are able to sing softly and still convince me they are singing from the heart. The lyrics are understandable and just as relevant today as they were back in the day, even my 20 odd year old daughter asked who they where so they have appeal across the generations.

The girl that sings with them (I had to look her name up - Lorraine Mcintosh) is superb. Ricky Ross's voice is quite distinctive and you can listen to him for a while without getting tired of hearing him, but Lorraine's voice is very good as both in harmony and on it's own. I would love to have heard more of her on her own. I don't like the way many of the female singers today seem to believe that 110% is the way to sing, singers should be comfortable singing the song because it is within their vocal range, not because vain popping shows ultra commitment and taking it to the next level or making it their own or doing Liverpool proud is what makes them a celeb.

Sorry got carried away there.....

Back to the album, it is a great collection of Deacon Blues hits and some tracks that are quite good that were not hits. It is a good slice of nostalgia for anyone who was around when they were in the charts but also a good experience to broaden musical taste for anyone who wasn't. I would recommend the album to those who are not die hard fans and want everything they ever done (like myself), they just want a good album that is melodic and easy to listen to.
on 6 October 2000
Deacon Blue's compliation cd "our town" is an excellent album. It is great to listen to whilst getting ready to go out. Alternatively, with its upbeat sounds and memorable lyrics it is perfect to sing along with whilst driving in the car. I always feel cheered up when listening to this album and have it placed alongside ABBA, to put on when it has been "one of those days".