on 21 January 2016
Exactly as expected and the music is delicious!
on 14 November 2006
Finally, after waiting 19 years (since The Living Daylights), we have a Bond soundtrack that can rank alongside the greats of many of John Barry's efforts in this genre. This is simply the best David Arnold Bond soundtrack. Why? It contains less of all that electronic noise, and is back to good orchestration. As this is the beginning of Bond's spy career, it is only fitting that the classic Bond theme is really only heard at the end of the film (and so at the end of the soundtrack). African Rundown is perhaps the most fast paced piece of music (similar to the other Arnold Bond pre-title cues). Good cues throughtout the cd. Though, please be aware, the title song, You Know My Name, is not on this soundtrack, only heard in various cues. Good effort all round.
on 14 January 2015
Fair
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 April 2007
David Arnold delivers another superb Bond score, and this time it is his best. Riffing of the melody written for 'You Know My Name' he wrote for Chris Cornell (not included here because of a legal dispute with Cornell's label) Arnold delivers a thrilling and romantic score that is easily the best since John Barry's brilliant 'The Living Daylights'.

Highlights include 'Blunt Instrument' which is the dramatic here-IS-Bond music, the pounding 12-minute 'Miami International' and the ending classic best version I've ever heard of 'The Name's Bond... James Bond'

Okay - it doesn't have the theme song, which is bad, but this is due to a greedy label which has yet again displayed it's incompetence. The score is fantastic and stands up in it's own right. Go buy it now.
on 16 November 2006
As much as he had brought to the James Bond series, I had lost faith in David Arnold. Die Another Day was a mess of electronic beats and manipulation, with just a few minor gems.

No more! With Casino Royale he has totally reinforced his place as the successor to John Barry. Thankfully he was permitted to be involved in the theme tune which allowed him to include it throughout his score.

And what a score! The only track to include a lot of the synthesised music is the airport track (Miami International) and that works. "I'm the Money" and "Aston Montonegro" contain excellent orchestrations of the theme tune and "Dinner Jackets" contains (in the last half) a great tribute to John Barry.

The final track makes what was already a brilliant scene one the most outstanding pieces of cinema history.
on 14 November 2006
From the first track you will be astounded by the sheer quality of Arnold's score, it gets the pulse pounding. Rather Than use the Bond theme it uses You Know My Name By Chris Cornell (Which Unfortunatly is Not on the soundtrack) and gives the score a fresh and new feel.

I would recommend this to anyone.
on 21 November 2006
On the strength of only one hearing so far, I would say that this is a freer David Arnold. Although his firmly rhythmic action writing is never too far away, this work has a sense of breadth; as well as pace aplenty, there is space to breathe. If you are among those who like David Arnold's treatment of Bond, you should enjoy this.

My question is this: since when did a Bond soundtrack album NOT included the vocal track(s), be it the title track or otherwise? I am not impressed by this. Now you may call me 'old-fashioned' but, when I buy the original soundtrack to a film, I expect to get the title track thrown in aswell (is "You Know My Name" the title track? I haven't had a chance to see the film yet!), not just interpolations of it! Or is that now to expect too much? Have I missed something here?

For this reason I can only justify three stars - I dislike this sort of incompleteness.
on 6 November 2015
With this soundtrack, David Arnold has delivered the music that introduced Daniel Craig as the new Bond & succeeded on every level. His trademark broad & expansive themes, exciting heart-pounding action compositions are contrasted with poignant emotionally-charged melodic motifs, that convey personal dramatic moments.
Arnold's talent for new original music, yet tinged with that specific style that tells you that is a James Bond film, cannot be underestimated. This of course owes a debt to the great John Barry whom David Arnold naturally succeeds as the foremost film & tv composer in Britain today.
This soundtrack is a must for all Bond fans & film music enthusiasts, most of whom will already have it in their collections.
I would be failing if I did not mention the orchestra on this recording. Under the baton of conductor Nicholas Dodds, these hand-picked musicians give perfect accounts of every 'cue' in this score, from the shortest, quiet atmospheric encounter to the 12 minute rampaging excitement of the Miami Airport sequence! A remarkable achievement by everyone involved.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
(Delivery was very quick)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 November 2006
Wow!, this is my opinion of possibly one of the best bond soundtracks, since the first song, by the way, one of the best, African Runaway we can feel the sensation that bond is back!, another song that I must name is Blunt Instrument, the 4th one; in this one we can hear the Casino Royale Main Theme, is said, the Chris Cornell song ("You know my name") but orchestrated and without Chris very slowly and very exciting!

The rest of the CD is also very exciting, is a CD with a long running time, so we can enjoy it during approximately 80 minutes, and of course, the last song, My name is Bond... James Bond is espectacular, a brand new orchestrated James Bond Theme by David Arnold that is a perfect ending of one, i think, that will be, in a few days, in one of the most succesful and one of the best Bond movies ever seen.

Bye!
on 22 September 2015
In a soundtrack? Pointless.