Customer reviews

The Magic Of Doris Day
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£9.99

on 4 August 2014
After seeing a recent BBC4 documentary regarding Doris and being impressed with her singing I decided that I wanted a CD of her best material. Being an Alfred Hitchcock fan, I was already aware that Doris was a good actress from her performance in "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and the song from that film "Que, Sera Sera" highlighted an amazing voice. I have also recently seen the film biopic of 20s and 30s singer Ruth Etting in "Love Me Or Leave Me" where again, Doris gives a great performance both in singing and acting.

This CD has all the tracks that I want of Doris' career and in particular I like "Que, Sera Sera, Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps, Move Over Darling, Pillow Talk, Teachers Pet, It's Magic, Secret Love, The Deadwood Stage, The Black Hills Of Dakota, Love Me Or Leave Me" and "Sentimental Journey." The rest of you songs are also highly enjoyable.

The sound quality is very good on this release from Columbia and comes with an 8 page sleeve, 3 pages of which contain liner notes by Paul Grein where he gives a brief history of each of the songs. Lastly, a couple of pages detailing song titles, writers, original release dates and song timings are here.

I recommend this cd for anyone who wants to celebrate the best songs in the career of Doris Day.

Footnote: Ignore the first tracklisting that Amazon have put on this page as it is incorrect. The second listing further down however, is correct.
One person found this helpful
on 9 June 2013
She absolutely loves it and plays it on her personal CD player while shes ironing!! No MP3 or I pod for her.......................... shes 75 and likes to have her cd player attached to her belt!!! She also is known to have it belting out on her ghetto blaster (her words not mine) and has been known to ignore callers at the door cos nits so loud......... As a teenager of the 50's this compliation hits just the right spot.........Would recommend and have actually made her bring it with us to play in the car so we can have a good old singalaiong on the way to Tesco...........
One person found this helpful
on 14 June 2017
Bought for my mum who has dementia, and what a superb buy. All the songs bring back so many memories of Doris Day films. She even remembered some of the songs and sang along to them, which was my main reason for buying this. Loads of fab songs, I even loved it too.
VINE VOICEon 22 February 2009
Doris Day was part of my childhood. My older sister was a massive fan and later she dragged me off to see Move over darling at the cinema. It was then that I realised not only could she sing but she looked fantastic as well. This collection has all her gems and she is a very calming singer. If you need to just sit down and listen and relax this is a great album. While you are on Doris Day her christmas album is also a very good album and includes one from the fifties which still hits me around December 1st each year.
on 25 July 2012
All good'uns on this collection. All the classics and a couple of unreleased tracks. Track listing info is good too, giving details of original release dates, composer , conductor. No pictures of that beautiful face but the sound is good and no doubt it will confuse the neighbours hearing this amongst the nickelback, U2 and Miles Davis.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 July 2016
another great one from doris day really enjoyed listening to this
have never heard a bad one from Doris this one is no exception
I love it
VINE VOICEon 27 March 2011
For anybody of a certain age, this lady is a must. Her voice and her ability to capture a melody, is unsurpassed.

It is a great pity that those seeking their fortunes the relatively easy way, via television 'talent' shows should learn from singers such as Miss Day and Jo Stafford.
5 people found this helpful
on 13 May 2016
Fantastic CD been a fan all my life. Already got all her CD s .but downloaded from kindle do not hesitate to download you will not be disappointed
on 28 May 2017
all ok
on 29 August 2012
This CD is a very good quality recording with a decent number of tracks on it, also great value for money, one of the best CD's I have bought and certainly the cheapest.