Byron 1217 wired doorbell kit - Classic sound - White
Package Quantity: 1|Style: Original Packaging|Change

on 24 November 2010
As with the previous reviewer, this was purchased after several attempts with wireless door chimes. For whatever reason, our house alarm wireless PIRs constantly set off the wireless door chimes - albeit with a different tone to the one programmed for the door !!! It's nice to have a fairly loud, simple system that works.
0Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 July 2013
Was fed up with successive wireless bell units which failed miserably over time so decided to go back to tried-and-tested wired job. But the results were not much better.

The construction of the Byron 1217 left much to be desired. The terminals for the wiring were small and fiddly and poorly designed. The same could be said for the bell unit itself. The unit assumed the wiring would be from behind the unit, fine in theory except that 95% of wiring will arrive fitted along a wall etc. If it does you will have to cut your own access into the casing yourself. A simple breakout for such wiring would have been simple to incorporate but no such luck I'm afraid. The supplied instructions were also poor and sparse.

So all-in-all I thought this item poorly engineered and cheaply produced. Not a manufacturer I will buy from again.
on 13 November 2017
This bell worked very well for me. Extremely quick and easy to wire-up to my ancient original brass bell-push, and easily loud enough for me to hear anywhere in the house. It is of course also the traditional ring tone which will ring continuously for as long as you keep your finger on the “push”. The only criticism that I'd make, and which nobody else seems to have made (??), is that the printed instructions do not tell you how to open the battery compartment, and there are no obvious screws or marked indications on the plastic case either. In fact what you do is put the tip of a wide flat-bladed screwdriver in one of the long slots on either side of the plastic case and twist to separate the case in two halves … that might seem obvious in the absence of any other instructions, but it's also a method which obviously risks cracking the plastic case if the fit is at all tight. But apart from that – it's inexpensive, works beautifully (so far!), and it's perfect for anyone trying to connect it to an old original antique bell-push for a traditional sounding bell.
on 8 December 2014
Like many others, bought to replace wireless system. Important to check the length of your planned wiring run - the cable supplied only just made it from my door and through the porch into the hall. As a direct line, this is probably about 1.5M, but following skirting etc, I used all of the cable. Bell push is a little flimsy and I was concerned about watertightness, so bedded it into silicon sealant.
My wife initially thought bell case was an eyesore and demanded that it be changed, but the white case blends into the top corner of the hallway, so not really noticeable after a day or so. Good loud ringer can be heard both in the upstairs back bedroom that I use as and office, but also by the delivery person, so an added bonus is that they actually wait a little longer for me to get to the door.
on 10 October 2015
the bell isn't very loud at all, we wouldn't hear this in any room other than the room the bell was to be located. Sounder is a small bell that only rings while the button is pressed, anyone pressing quickly would hardly activate sounder. The bell is so quiet it can't be heard from outside so the caller wouldn't know to keep the button pressed longer. Certainly wouldn't be heard over the sound of a TV or radio
on 31 January 2014
This product comes with packaging that advertises 'New louder sound!'. I would say it's about average loudness - adequate to hear anywhere in a small house if there isn't too much other noise. Unfortunately I bought this for my ageing in-laws who are going quite deaf and don't hear people hammering on the door. I put it up in the hallway, asked them to go into the lounge and put the TV on while I rang it. They couldn't hear it at all - weren't even aware that I was ringing it. I realise of course this is more to do with their deafness than this product, however I'm just making the point that it's not super-loud, even though it takes some monster D type batteries. (Although maybe the size of the batteries just means they'll last longer rather than be louder).

It does have the advantage of being the type where you can keep it ringing as long as you keep your finger on the button which I like, rather than the ding-dong type.

Overall it looks nice, it's black and white which I think looks much better than the beige that it appears to be in the photos. You get everything you need except for 2xD batteries. There's plenty of cable, I think it's about 6 metres, although there's no cable clips.

In the end I ended up not using this as it just wasn't loud enough for the job I needed it for - it may be totally adequate for others.

The first one to arrive didn't work - just made a feeble tapping noise. I sent this one back and the replacement one worked fine.
VINE VOICEon 29 October 2014
The bell kit has a white case and black bell, which looks okay and it is simple to install - just attach the two wires to the bell and then to the bell push and add batteries. All bell systems that I have used are fallable in different ways, but the simplicity of batteries and cable mean that this system works reliably for quite a long time. The main problem that I have found is corosion, due to the weather, at the bell-push. The bell sound is quite loud, so it is audible in most parts of the house. There is nothing much to be critical about; the bell cable, at 6 metres, is long enough to position in the hallway, screws are supplied, but not cable clips and it is easy to install and maintain.
on 29 February 2016
I had lots of issues with wireless bells so bit the bullet and fitted in this wired unit. You can't drill through a double glazed door frame like mine but routed it round the door with 2 holes in the wall, then neatly cabled up concealing all wires with cable trunking.
Not for you if you crave showy tunes going off. It gives a simple but solidly loud 'drrrring' every time.
No false rings and no 'your bell doesn't seem to be working' nonsense, hooray!
on 8 October 2013
we got this door bell because we have tried other door bells with 30/40-chimes,and it never as one what you like ;
we have seen door bells in BQ,HOME BASE,WICKS, AND THE LIST GOS ON-
so we went on web on this site and thank god we looked at these all we wanted was a ring /ring bell and this dos the job to a TEE
thank you easy to install very easy plenty off wire it dos what it says on the box just 2 batteries that's it ;
brilliant bell brilliant price thank you all overall its dam good thanks recommend (YES) the price is very/very/good thanks
on 13 March 2012
Having bought three different wireless bells/chimes over the last years that became very intermittent at last a good old reliable one that works loud and clear every time. Only moan, no small staples in the kit.