Rustins 1L Danish Oil
Size: 1 Litre|Change

on 8 October 2016
I use this oil on my oak kitchen worktops and it keeps them in great condition.

I have also recently used it to treat all my internal door, which the previous owner had not treated at all and were getting lots of finger print marks.

The oil is very easy to apply with either a cloth or with a paint brush. It is a very watery fluid so you need to use a brush with care if you want to avoid too many drips. The oil quickly soaks into the wood (very much so on untreated wood) and is touch dry much faster than paint.

The result really brings out the beauty of the wood grain.
on 28 June 2017
We recently installed an IKEA solid oak worktop and were looking for a Danish oil to provide an added layer of protection.

Using the oil was a breeze. A light sanding with a very fine sand paper between coats took minutes and I used micro-fibre cloths to apply it with ease. I found the cloths gave me a little extra control when applying it (i.e. I didn't flick it everywhere). Smell wise, providing that you apply it and dry it in a well ventilated room the smell is gone within 72 hours. The smell is odd but not offensive.

The oil gave the wood really nice natural lustre and a great colour (far better than IKEA's own product). The protection it provides is also impressive. Water beads on the surface and doesn't soak in. It's also really easy to wipe the surface down with a micro-fibre cloth and surface spray.

My wife has quite severe nut allergies and I was concerned about the contents of the oil (as a lot of the alternatives use nut oils). However, the Rustins has been fine with not even a mild reaction from it.

Overall, were really impressed with the ease of application and the protection that it provides.
on 15 July 2015
Very easy to apply, I used lint free paper towel, like Kitchen paper towel and it went on very smooth and consistently. I had sanded my oak work tops beforehand and ended up with about 4 coats of this Rustins Danish Oil. I opted to get 5 litres of the stuff as I'm sure I'll be doing this every year or so. It's left a lovely sheen and I'm confident its protecting the wood well as the water beads up around the sink ready to be wiped off with a cloth.

It takes around 5-6 hours between coats for the oil to dry so be prepared for not using your work tops for a little while. I did mine over a weekend. I've had some great comments from people since saying how great they look, that's without them knowing they've been oiled recently, another testament to a great quality product.
review image
22 Comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 December 2017
A little goes a long way. Using on beechblock worktops. Produces a lovely finish. Smell is quite strong which is not great inside the cupboards (we've done the underside before fitting the worktops) - should have left them outside for a while before fitting I think.
on 5 March 2017
I have had this for rather a long time without using it but now as spring approaches it has been opened and tested!! A good product that goes on well and leaves a suttle protective sheen. Not messy at all. A good quality product.
on 10 October 2017
Stinks to high heaven when applying. The smell fades within an hour or two. I used this instead of varnish on my new oak doors, after being advised by the joiner who fitted them, and they look great.
on 21 July 2017
I've used Danish Oil on my garden furniture a long while and always found it to be easy to apply, gives an attractive finish and provides good weather protection.
on 14 January 2016
Bought this to refresh my old looking wood flooring. This product will give new life to your wood flooring. Very easy to apply, will cure white marks on wood flooring.
on 7 April 2017
nice stuff. recommend you use cheap latex gloves to apply with a cloth. brings out the wood grain nicely.
on 4 August 2017
great for my American Walnut kitchen worktop, after a thorough sanding I applied 6 coats by hand, with 24hrs between coats and using light wet sanding for the final 2 coats.