Colour Name: Willow 2.5L|Change

on 8 May 2016
I looked at the Ducksback range before settling on Garden Shades, as I read on Cuprinol's website that Ducksback is for rough sawn timber, and I was painting and protecting a smooth planed tongue and groove shed. I went for Urban Slate - I can't comment on the other colours but this was exactly what I hoped for. It looked grey in the tin but after brushing on it dried to a blue/grey/silver shade which looks very smart indeed. I have added two photos, one showing the side after one coat, the other showing the gable end after two coats.

The paint is drawn into the timber and gives good even matt coverage, no worries about brush marks etc.

One coat was almost enough to cover the manufacturer applied dip treatment which was almost tangerine orange (think spray tan) but as I'd bought 2 tins and had plenty left I opted to give it a second coat, especially as the shed is a bit exposed to the Scottish weather. I expect this will do for at least a couple of years but will update my review in a year or so.

It was a 10ft x 6ft shed and 1 2.5 litre tin was ample for each coat. I've enough left to do some fence panels to match. Very pleased so far.
review image review image
on 5 June 2016
Its a great colour but beware if you are doing multiple coats you add second coat an hour after the first,if you leave it a day or 2 between coats it's impossible as the paint will not take to the first coat as it is allready waterproof..
I user a paint zoom sprayer to do my shed and fence..
review image
on 6 April 2016
I'm really impressed with this product.
It went on thinner than other paints which was good to get good coverage and for it to absorb better into the wood. Dried quickly between layers. When it dried it was true to colour. I painted 6 large wooden outside planters in 4 coats of paint and was still left with 2/3 of the 1 litre tin!
review image
on 5 December 2013
Looks beautiful on the fence and shed, one word of warning though, if applying a second coat it takes a while to 'work in' and will appear to 'resist' for a while. I only found this was on portions of the shed or fence that had been in the sun. It does eventually apply the second coat smoothly, but you have to work at it. When it rained I noticed that the raindrops simply sat on the surface of the wood and didn't soak in.
on 10 June 2016
There is an important point to remember with this paint which is not mentioned in the instructions. You need to do the whole job in one go because if you leave it too long between coats you will find that the next coat won't adhere. This is because the paint forms a waxy surface to repel water. The instructions say '2 to 8 hours between coats' which means minimum 2 hours and maximum 8 hours!
I discovered this because the job was interrupted by rain for a few days. I phoned Cuprinol and was advised to use methylated spirit to remove the wax film.
on 5 May 2014
I was recently given a very scruffy looking wooden table for my outdoor area and was planning to paint it in a cream gloss. On looking at the cost of buying the primer and the gloss paint together, I decided to go for Cuprinol Shades as it was cheaper (only one pot of paint to buy), a well known brand and didn't require priming beforehand. I purchased a 1L tin.

The table had some big stains on it, but wasn't varnished, so I sanded it down until it was as uniform as it could be before painting two coats (several weeks apart due to the weather) straight onto the wood. The result is fab! You can stil see the grain of the wood, but it's a lovely cream colour all over and there are no dark patches to be seen. The paint goes on really well - I didn't have any problems/differences between the first and second coats - and the coverage is spot on, even with only two coats (I've also got loads left in the tin for other projects!). It's halfway between a paint and a stain - great colour, but you still get the nice wood texture showing through.

It's worth bearing in mind that this paint goes on as a very 'white-cream', but darkens to a beautiful clotted cream shade after a couple of hours. This makes it much easier to paint the second coat, as you can see where you've been and any bits you've missed. I also found that it goes virtually touch-dry very quickly, too, meaning that any accidental touches don't affect your paintwork.

I would definately recommend this paint to anyone looking to jazz up their garden a bit!

EDIT: Since posting this review I also tried tinting the paint using acrylics (cuprinol mix tester pots together on their website to make different colours, but I'm a cheapskate) and it worked a treat. Good for painting a nice design on my table and comes with all the benefits of the cuprinol paint!
on 11 June 2016
I found some furniture in a skip and was donated some benches and a table. Hey presto, with this paint, the look amazing and new! Nice to recycle! I gave them all around 4 or 5 coats but that was because the items were in very poor condition. Really repels the rain. Easy clean up
review image review image
on 9 September 2011
The colour of this product has transformed my garden. My summerhouse is now so welcoming. No longer dull brown. The product was so easy to use and very good quality. I shall definitely use it again.
on 3 June 2013
Transformed the garden fences and shed, easy to apply and fast drying also quick delivery and well packaged, loved it so much painted garden bench and barrel garden tubs also.
on 15 December 2013
Lovely colours that enhance the decorative effect of garden buildings.
Once dried it waterproofs the wood but the colour seeps through the wood if it rains before it has dried. I found this out to our cost, but it is not the fault of the paint just the British weather.