on 30 June 2013
This excellent product made our job so very much easier, we had been putting the job off for so long
on 11 July 2013
There is a previous Video review for this product in the reviews, which gave an excellent practical operational guide for this using and cleaning the sprayer, a must watch for the first timer.
After reading so many negative reviews on Fence Sprayable Sprayers, that video convinced me to try the Sprayer. I followed the recommendations in the video and completed the back of my 30m+ 'feathered edge' wooden fence with the posts and support rails, and all the tricky crevices in less than 2 hours, and the best bit:- no aches or pains afterwards.
True I did use around 60% more preservative material than I had previously used with brush application, but this was my first attempt and my economy rate improved as I went along, in any case I would rather use more spray than spend 4x longer with brush application. No issues with blocked nozzle or poor spray coverage, I would recommend regularly pumping up the pressure as you go along.
It is tempting to cover the same area with two passes, and to hold the spray too close to the fence, but as you go along you remember to hold the spray further away from the fence, and to overlap each pass only at a maximum of 50%, and the economy rate for spray improves.
The tips are all in the Video and in the Product Instruction booklet provided.
My existing preservative was a Ronseal Fencelife product, so I used Ronseal sprayable product in this Cuprinol sprayer, and without issues (suppose this negates the guarantee however, but not an issue).
Cleaning the sprayer after use is important for subsequent use and is very much worth taking time over.
I would recommend this product
on 24 July 2013
Product was perfect and exactly what I need it. A bit of a pain to clean after use but hey!
on 12 June 2013
We have a Ronseal sprayer too, and they both have similar problems with blocking. However, we find they both work best if you keep the pressure fairly high - don't let it get too low as this seems to encourage blocking. Also, take the end of the nozzle off every time you refill the sprayer, and put it in warm water. That seems to prevent any paint drying out around the nozzle, which also helps.
The Cuprinol sprayer is easier to fill as it has a spill tray, but we bought the big 9 litre Ronseal paint tubs and found them very heavy to try to tip into the Ronseal sprayer without spilling , so I would choose the Cuprinol sprayer for ease of filling.

It seems to be ok with the Ronseal paint.
on 27 November 2011
Had heard a lot about the pros and cons of using sprayers. Had got to the stage where all my fences needed treatment (approx 140 ft) and needed to doing something fast. I purchased the product after looking at various sprayers. I bought this one, because it had some good write ups. The Sprayer is simple to assemble and use. It does exactly what it says. You will use more paint then by brush, but it is alot quicker. The spray can go everywhere, so it stands to reason you need a calm day. I used 4 inch masking tape to cover over the posts and a piece of cardboard to push under the fence. I also had a brush at hand to deal with any runs that may occur.
I sprayed all fences (16 panels in 2 colours) in two afternoons. This time included prep, cleaning out the cannister (to change colour) and clean up.
The finish looked good and is certainly quicker than by brush. I am sure I could have sprayed these fences quicker, but for me it was all about the finished product rather than the speed as such
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 2 May 2011
The Cuprinal Fence Sprayer is a relatively cheap and cheerful piece of garden equipment that allows the user to quickly and efficiently stain large panels of their garden fencing with ease. The fence sprayer is a lightweight hard plastic vessel which can accommodate up to 5 litres of the treatment stain.

Putting the sprayer together for the first time is a doddle. The simple two page fold-out instructions that come included take you through the assembly, filling, cleaning and maintenance. Upon purchasing this sprayer, I had no previous experience with such a piece of equipment, but upon reading through the instructions, managed to confidentially put the few separate pieces together, practice with a little water and then use the sprayer with little trouble from the word go.

I notice that other reviewers have commented upon experiencing backfire when using the sprayer. This has not happened to me once during the reasonably extensive first-time use I have had with it (touch wood - no pun intended). I recommend ensuring that all valves and seals are firmly screwed on before using the sprayer, as you would with any plumbing or similar appliances where liquid is passed through tubes at a reasonably high pressure.

The attached video shows the set up process I went through, including experimenting with water in order to properly gauge what the sprayer will be like when in use. I strongly recommend this to everyone who uses this for the first time. It doesn't take long and made me feel comfortable with the sprayer when I went on to use the stain on the fences for the first time.

As recommended in the instruction manual, it is a very good idea to put dustsheets down on to any surface (grass, paving or otherwise) directly underneath and to either side of where you will be spraying. As you can see from the video, I did just this (doesn't take a second) and managed to keep all of the stain where I wanted it to go, without ending up with Autumn Brown grass and paving slabs!

Obviously this is not a precision piece of equipment. It's designed for doing large fence panels and not for intricate little areas. If over-spray in an issue for you (say up to 30cm either side of your 'target' area) then you may well wish to use a brush instead. For me, I was spraying numerous fence panels, so slight over-spray either side was no issue whatsoever. When I came to an edge where I didn't want the stain to go (up against the house wall or at the top of the fence panel where it overlooks a neighbours garden), I simply stopped about 30cm short of the edge and finished off with a brush. Simple as that!

The sprayer is designed to be used exclusively with their Cuprinol One Coat Sprayable Fence Treatment. This is exactly what I used (Cuprinol 5L Sprayable Autumn Brown) and it worked very well from the outset. I haven't tried (and doubt I will) using any other brands of stain with this, so I can't comment on its performance with anything else.

After use, cleaning (which is usually the worst part with jobs like this) wasn't too bad. Ok, so it's a little tedious washing everything out. But it's got to be done if you want to use it again in the future! With the sprayer, you simply keep filling it up with water and spraying in out (into an empty container is ideal) until the water runs clear. This took a little while (about 5 - 10 mins), but wasn't too much of an ordeal.

Upon my second use with the sprayer, it worked just as well as the first time, with no clogging, backfiring, or any other such annoying problems. So thus far I would say that the simple washing-out process seems to work fine for the general upkeep of the sprayer. I have also applied a few small drops of lubrication to the pumping mechanism to ensure that the seal does not perish away (again, this was recommended in the instruction manual).

The attached video shows the preparation, process and final results of my first attempts with the sprayer (done over one weekend). In my opinion, the sprayer worked perfectly on the fence panels all the way around our garden. I tried using the sprayer on the wooden decking that we have at the bottom of the garden, but found the cover wasn't as thorough here as it was with a brush, so resorted to a brush on the decking and any other intricate edge work and trellises etc.

A final note I think I need to make is how the staining looks on your fencing whilst you are actually applying it. I must admit, when I had done my first panel, both my wife and I looked at it and went "oh dear!". When it's been freshly applied, the stain looks very uneven and botchy. I can't emphasise enough that this is not what your final results will look like. Be patient, carry on as you are, and it will all look good in the end. This is what we did and we're more than happy with the results (again, see attached video). And the speed in which you can apply the stain to a panel is amazing! All in all, everything you can see in our video was done with the Autumn Brown stain and took me two days (approximately 7-8 hours of work each day). Just with a brush would have taken me an age!
22 Comments| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 April 2011
We have got a lot of fence panels around our garden and it took me an absolute age to protect it using a brush so, when it was time to do it again, I decided to try Cuprinol Sprayable. Something that had taken me several days (admittedly with breaks) with a brush took less than two (again with breaks, just less of them) with the sprayer. But there were several repercussions:

* If the sprayer has not been properly tightened up it can backfire - fence protector on your face is not an attractive sight. Luckily I was wearing sunglasses or it would have gone in my eyes as well. Even if you think you have tightened every connector, it is therefore always worth double checking!

* The protector is applied very quickly but you definitely have to get a technique going in order to avoid excess running down fence panels and being wasted. I used a lot more fence protector whilst using a sprayer than I did when I used a brush, even when I had 'perfected' my technique.

* Over-spray is a big issue. I sprayed my fence from my neighbour's side first; over-spray coated the side of my house and everything else on my side of the fence up to a distance of about 6 feet away, even though there was no real breeze. I can therefore vouch for the fact that you need to act quickly to remove these splatters before they dry, or make sure that you have a decent pressure washer as a scrubbing brush did not make much impact, even with liberal amounts of washing up liquid. Once the fence protector had dried, no amount of pressure washing would remove the splatters from the side of my house, where they remain to this day. I'll have to repaint my house to get rid of them.

This offers fast application but an awful lot of preparation is needed first if you are spraying in 'delicate areas' such as near a neighbour's property or your own, close to plants, garden furniture and ornaments. Lots of surface protection is advisable to avoid some of the clean up that would otherwise be necessary, as well as the potential for damage to neighbourly relations. My fence is very close to the entire side of my house, with lots of flower beds, ornaments and patio to protect. I ended up having to tape plastic dust sheets to my house to protect it (albeit after some of the damage had already been done) and it was difficult to reuse the sheets many times because however careful you are, fence protector will accumulate on them.

Protecting my fence was certainly faster with the spray and it afforded good coverage. If you have a fence a distance from any buildings and with few flower beds or other garden paraphernalia in close proximity the sprayer will save you a lot of time. I have a lot to protect close to my fence so I am reverting to using a brush next time the job needs to be done.
22 Comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2009
It's certainly possible to spray a fence panel much faster than you can brush paint it. But the spray pressure is (necessarily) high and so a significant amount of Cuprinol sprayable paint goes elsewhere. I found that about 5%-10% splatters back from the fence and drops to the ground. (Not a real problem if there's just soil below, but not good if it's paving, gravel or plants). Also there's a fine mist that drifts a LONG way even when there's hardly any breeze. I found brown speckles on all our ground floor window sills, some of which were 20 ft away. Watch out for cars in the area too. The speckles will wipe off, but it all adds to the time required to do the job.

In the end I stopped using the sprayer and used a brush instead to avoid the need to protect plants, paving and windows sills and to avoid wasting paint.

So if you've got a fence in the middle of nowhere - it's really great. But otherwise, beware. The instructions suggest you can use it on trellis too, but the spray would go everywhere and waste loads of paint, even if you did put masking behind.
22 Comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 September 2011
I bought this sprayer to spray a large area of decking in my garden, I wasn't sure if it would be up to the job, but to my delight it worked superbly. It's easy to fill and to pressurise and it gives a good even spray when it is being used. My only problem was it is hard to clean if you use non water based products in it. But as I don't think its really designed for that sort of coatings this can't be taken away from what is a superb product.
on 25 May 2014
A perfect tool for the job, spraying sheds and fences no longer a chore, almost a pleasure, and such a time saver compared
with the brush