Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.49

on 2 March 2017
Product was delivered in a timely manner (from overseas), and was in excellent condition. There were two skips on one of the album sides, but some careful cleaning took care of them.

The albums and downloads sound great, a noticeable difference from the CD I bought back in the '90's. And the liner notes were brilliant and fun.
on 9 April 2016
Probably the best album ever
on 5 June 2017
great product
on 4 February 2015
Good service, good album, no complaints!! Took me back a few years but still sounds good!!
on 6 September 2015
One of the greatest records of all time.
on 19 June 2017
A lot of records come and go in my life, like everyone else (probably) i go through musical stages where something that i once cherished sooner or later becomes tired and clichéd. Soul Mining is not one of those records, it is a work of absolute genius from beginning to end and probably a contender for my favourite of all time. Studio jams apparently were behind the composition of both the opening "I've Been Waiting for Tomorrow (all of my Life)" and the closing 9 minute "GIANT", which in itself is astounding, given the complexity of both tracks, the first being a frenetic rhythmical beast, the latter a slow-burner that finalises in an almost ecstatic tribal beat. Both are astonishing, and alongside "Uncertain Smile" (with it's utterly glorious Jools Holland piano solo) rank as the peaks of a record that never once fails to grab your attention. People have moaned at the meagre seven tracks on offer, but it works in the format of vinyl more so any other, and the deluxe version is lovingly done, the extra 12" of extended mixes and singles is pretty impressive as well.

It's all the more remarkable when you consider that Matt Johnson was 21 when he recorded this album.
on 3 August 2017
I originally picked up "Soul Mining" years after first listening to Infected and Mind Bomb to death. This early album is almost whimsical by comparison to the other two but you can hear the seeds of Matt Johnson's sound and his utterly amazing talent for language and rhyming coming to the fore even on this album.

"This is the Day" is obviously the standout track, the soundtrack to many a summertime of my youth. Not as keen on this as I was on the other albums mentioned above but it's still worthy of your collection
on 17 August 2014
This appears to be one of those albums that sticks with you when you first hear it. For me it was some years after its release, well into the 90's but just as potent as those that got it first time. Alone with your thoughts too long you end up here. Matt had it nailed from the start lyrically and musically this is wonderfully catchy pop, timeless. I don't even mind some of the cheesy 80's sounds on here, there is too much quality for it to be mired in a 'time'. A great album which will remain in my top ten forever.
on 3 June 2003
The fist time I think I ever felt I understood, or at least contenplated inner happiness was when I listened to this album on a bright, bright sunny day as a 15 year old. "you can't destroy your problems by destroying yourself". So I didn't. Soul Mining, whilst being and album of dangerous self doubt and questioning is wonderfully uplifting.
Soul Mining is a journey, a discovery of self. Matt Johnson through this album and the more globally aware Infected, shaped my world, who I am, where I am and how I got here. In the 15 years I've owned Soul Mining there have been some noteworthy contenders of direction and belief, particularly Portishead, but none have managed the mystical journey of self truth and more over self doubt that Johnson confronts us with in Soul mining
"How can anyone know me, when I don't even know myself" Johnson sings on the soul searching and challenging "Giant", a song that combines the mytstery of self discovery with the trerrace chanting and somewhat infectious "yeah, yeah, yeah". I'm nearly 30 and I still can't answer Giants most fundamental question. Johnson is a master of melancholy and it's something he has always aspired to, that someone could come up with such a lyrically competent album at such a young age is incredible, I belive Johnson was 17 when the thinking teenagers song of angst "Uncertain Smile" was written, a perfect ballad for formative teenage years of love and loss.
I enjoy the album differently now, reflection is a powerful tool and the lighter harmonies of Uncertain Smile and This is the Day
keep the reflection long enough to evoke memories of perhaps less comlicated times.
on 1 July 2014
indisputably one of the great albums of the 80s - on of the all-time greats in my books – Soul Mining is a work of uncatagorisable songwriting genius with truly innovative instrumentation, great hooks, and that memorable Jools Holland piano solo on Uncertain Smile.
Soul Mining never quite achieved the acclaim it deserved, but that makes it all the sweeter for those of us who can revel in its semi-secret glory. The excellent 2014 vinyl reissue augments the seven original tracks another disc of with remixes and additional tracks (including two takes of Perfect, which was on the cassette and CD version in the 80s but excised more recently) plus a voucher for a digital download lovingly captured from Matt Johnson's own record player (you can just about hear the hiss). If you're a fan, buy it. If you're not… give it a listen.