on 3 March 2017
A lovely CD and at the right price too. Would recommend this item and the seller. Thank you.
on 4 March 2003
I haven't seen the film, so I'm passing comment on this purely as stand-alone music. It's wonderful. It's one of Doyle's most classical albums, and it is full of romance, sadness and joy. The opening song is similar in style to Mahler's orchestral songs. The gorgeous melody is re-used throughout in various guises, including a very beautiful piano-orchestra version that evokes Mozart's slow movements. Later in the album the music leans to a more chamber style, with key roles for flute, clarinet and harp. There are also some jaunty, almost folk-like pieces for orchestra. The album finishes with another song for soprano and orchestra. I have enjoyed this album immensely, and strongly recommend it. It is on the same scale as the Hamlet score, but is generally "prettier" and less "modern" in it's tonality.
on 10 May 2003
Have recently watched the film ‘Sense & Sensibility’, I just had to buy the soundtrack, as the music made complete, the magical experience of the film.
Unfortunately, the ‘dramatic soprano’, Jane Eaglen is the one jarring note in this otherwise excellent CD. The two songs she performs are, (in the film), sung by a young girl, and I strongly feel that the purity of tone, so beautifully evident in the original should have been reproduced in this soundtrack. Unfortunately, the main reason I bought the cd, was for the instrumental track ‘My Father’s Favourite’ and the two vocal tracks, ‘Weep You No More Sad Fountains’ and ‘The Dreame’ …
I have just recently realised that Patrick Doyle has contributed so much to films I have enjoyed, and I would probably be inclined to purchase the soundtracks for these films. However, I feel that in buying soundtracks, care must be taken to ensure that expectations are met, particularly with regards to artist.
That aside, the remaining 19 tracks on this cd, being mostly pensive and romantic, with the odd, rather jolly one thrown in, are most evocative of the film and the period itself. In general, I believe that this soundtrack would make an excellent choice for either someone who has watched (and loved) the film, or even just for the eternal romantic!
on 6 July 2005
I have been compelled to write this review as a reply to those who say that Jane Eaglen's voice does not sit right on this compact disc. Miss Eaglen's voice is the icing on what is already an absolutely delightful and well produced cake. Patrick Doyle's music is stunning and is made even more stunning by the slightly ethereal voice of Jane Eaglen. In her last song 'The Dreame' she represents and older, more mature Marianne. Those who do not see this are missing the point. A brilliant disc.
on 26 October 2004
I bought this CD about eight years ago and I always seem to come back to listen to it time and time again. I love the score - it ties in so well with the film and every time I hear the tracks from when Marianne goes out in the rain to Willioughby's house it brings everything back to me.
I agree with the person who said Jane Eaglen doesn't sound right on this. She's good but - after you've heard Marianne sing the songs in the film - it really does sound wrong, maybe because it seems so operatic when the rest of the soundtrack is so much lighter. Other than this, it's a great CD.
on 6 July 2005
on 30 May 2001
Patrick Doyle is a superb modern composer who perfectly captured the feeling of Regency England in his work for the S&S Soundtrack. The wonderful music added extra magic to what was already a beautiful film, and it's all on this CD - wonderfully touching and soothing without crossing the line into 'over-sweetness'. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed in the choice of Jane Eaglin as vocalist for the two tracks that Marianne sings in the film. Her dramatic soprano is very ill-suited to these lightly melodic, slightly melancholy tunes. At first hearing I was truly aghast - the effect is horrible. Thankfully, the melody of these two tunes is reprised elsewhere on the CD (without Eaglen). If you miss her out, it's a fantastic listen.
on 19 October 2013
I LOVE this soundtrack. Perfect for revision/ work music when you don't want to be distracted.
My Father's Favourite is such a beautiful piece. So impressed with Patrick Doyle.
on 24 September 2007
I know I am just echoing previous reviews, but this is a delicious soundtrack. Patrick Doyle is such a gifted and sensitive composer, adding depth and richness to films without detracting from the visual drama. Like other people, I found Jane Eaglen's version beautiful, but ultimately too rich for the musical genre. Such a pity that Kate Winslett's pure rendition was not captured for this recording.
on 28 February 2015
The film of Sense and Sensibility has always been one of my Jane Austen favourites, and this version with its Patrick Doyle compositions and that beautiful voice of Jane Eaglen has got to be one of the best, I have always thought that it is a pity that the title, The Dream, is consigned to the end credits. This C D is well worth adding to your collection, it is a pity that the sound track of the film version with Hattie Morahan,s equally good offering is not available also.