Customer reviews

2:00 A.M. Paradise Cafè
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 21 July 2017
Product arrived before the scheduled delivery date, well packaged, undamaged and as described. I've been playing it practically non-stop since receiving it. Easy listening, lovely arrangements and Manilow at his best. I'd go as far to say that this is one of his best albums.
on 8 May 2017
I already had this on vinyl but purchased CD at a very reasonable price. Agree heartily with the other positive reviews. I think if you played it to someone who dislikes Barry Manilow from his popular image they would never guess it was him. Classic music, arrangements and lyrics. Very classy piece of work and a pleasure to listen to.
on 30 August 2006
Having a wife devoted to BM is not recomended, but sometimes a gem appears in all the rough cut stones.

Apparently the whole album was recorded in one take with the recording team indicating to the musicians to continue after each track, with Barry exclaiming 'what just happened' at the end of the session!

Favourite track - Big City Blues - the voices just melt together.

Great for de-stressing and winding down.
on 12 September 2002
I own all of Manilows albums on vinyl and am just starting to update my collection to CD. This was the first one I chose as it is my favorite. One of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard was written by Barry using Johnny Mercer lyrics, 'When October Goes' is pure music poetry. This album opened my mind to jazz music, I had never heard Mel Torme sing, and that man has a voice as smooth as caramel, no offence to Barry, as I love him, but in comparison to old Mel he sounds like such an amateur.
The style of the album gives the feeeling of a live music session as there are no breaks, the songs just flow beautifully into one another. On the whole I would not listen to this album to be uplifted or cheered, but in moments of emotional deepth and contemplation this is the album for me.
on 25 May 2002
Right, let us get this out of the way, Barry Manilow is an excellent musician (as a music teacher I shoulld know!!). So why do the critics love to hate him? Is it because of the nose, is it because he is unashamedly romantic (something that should be welcomed in today's cold world) or is it because he is simply too popular with the people for his own good?
Whatever the reason is, it hasn't stopped him producing some truly outstanding music which has heart, is beautifully constructed and is accessible. This album which has Manilow in a jazzy frame of mind is possibly the least accessible of all of his albums but still holds some cracking tunes. Perhaps the most stunning moment on the CD is the hauntingly beautiful "When October Goes" which, should one be able to set aside the fact that this is Barry Manilow, is one of those classics that only pops up once in a lifetime and I defy anyone not to be moved when listening.
The rest of the album is unlike much of Manilow's other works yet it is possibly his finest hour. Perhaps it is time to give a dog a good name.
on 9 July 2003
As other reviews have noted, this is a Barry Manilow CD not just for his regular fans, but more for those unconvinced/unsettled by the sheer popularity of the man. As a jazzer, I love this album for the late night smoky atmosphere and the contributions of Gerry Mulligan, Sarah Vaughan and Mel Torme. It's truly a superb CD - "Blue Like Me" (with Vaughan) and "When October Goes" (lyric by Johnny Mercer) are worth the price alone. Incidentally, I once spoke with guitarist Mundell Lowe who told me this was a "real fun album to make", and that it's one of the few of his 1000s of recordings that he regularly plays at home. Possibly more important to Mr. Manilow than his normal audience, this is an absolute gem. Highly recommended.
on 3 August 2013
Really interesting for me, because I bought the CD, due to the fact that I found out recently that Johnny Mercer is a close ancestor of mine. His lyrics feature on the song, 'When October Goes'. After J.M. died, on 25th. June 1976, his widow, Ginger, gave his unpublished lyrics to Barry Manilow, in order for him to set them to music. My only child was born 25th. July 1976. I was adopted @ two-and-a-half months of age and I only just found out about my biological family tree - my true surname would have been Mercer. It's very strange, as I am a qualified, classically-trained musician, but I love all music. J.M. wrote 339 lyrics and recorded 43 albums - I have written 1 complete song, but loads of lyrics and poetry, so this has given me the kick up the backside that I need.
Thank You!
on 21 March 2006
Mellow smooth exciting and relaxing. Conjures up a wonderful atmosphere for me. If you like jazz you'll love this one.
on 24 May 2014
Although i do not consider myself a great fan of Barry Manilows music.......this album had me hooked from the opening track to the last. All the songs are beautifully recorded with exceptional musicians supporting......its a must in my collection.
on 28 July 2001
PARADISE IS RIGHT. THIS HAS TO BE THE MOST OUTSTANDING ALBUM HES EVER MADE. WHETHER YOUR A JAZZ FAN OR A BARRY FAN,THIS ALBUM WILL LET YOU "MAKE OUT" OR "CHILL OUT".
FROM THE SULTRY 'PARADISE CAFE' NUMBER,THROUGH TO THE BRILLIANT DUETS WITH SARAH VAUGHAN AND MEL TORME,TO THE BEAUTIFUL 'WHEN OCTOBER GOES' RIGHT UNTIL THE COMPLICATED BUT BRILIANT 'NIGHTSONG'
THIS QUALTIY OF SOUND,MUSCIANSHIP AND ARRANGEMENTS ALL SHINE THROUGH IN THIS BRILLIANT ALBUM. A MUST FOR ANY LISTENER OF REAL QUALITY MUSIC.