Format: DVD|Change

on 11 October 2011
A timeless classic. God knows how many times I've seen this movie but just watched it on Bluray and wow, it's lost none of it's magic.
What I love about it is that it's a completely original take on the Peter Pan legend and that's what makes it unique. It was also one of my favourite childhood movies so I got a lot of love for it.
Everyone is cast perfectly, but Dustin Hoffman as Hook and Bob Hoskins as Mr Smee really stand out.
The musical score by John Williams is magical.
Awesome family movie which will get plenty more views in the future when I myself have kids.

Concerning the Bluray it self, great quality. Considering it's a 20 year old movie they've done a good job. Obviously it's not at the same standard as a Transformers Bluray but if your upgrading from DVD there is a huge improvement in picture and audio.

The only downside is the lack of special features, there is not a single one, not even a trailer.

But at the end of the day the movie is a classic and that's the important bit.
on 15 February 2005
I'm writing this review fourteen years after it was made because I need a new copy as it's been watched too many times!
This film is no doubt my favourite. I've been watching it since I was two, and it's the one I would miss most if it was taken away from me.It's one of those films that suits everyone, and the acting and music is quality. Truely magical, and great a story line. The sets and special effects are fantastic. The only thing I would criticize it for was the fact that they didn't have the Indians in the film. And Dustin Hoffman, as much as he's an absolutely perfect Hook, he needs to work on his English accent!!
In general though this film is a true classic that everyone should have the pleaure of watching. It doesn't take anything away from J.M Barrie, it just extends his great ideas onto a new and modern level.
on 6 October 2011
First off, I wish amazon wouldn't colate reviews for films. DVD and blu ray reviews should be kept seperate.
Now, with that out the way, to the blu ray.
I have to say at first I was worried that this would be a hash job with how cheap the blu ray was to begin with. But boy was I wrong. To say the film is 20 years old this year, the picture has new life breathed into it.
Hook is one of my fave films of all time so naturally I have seen it countless times. With this new blu ray release I am picking out details that I had never noticed before and its fantastic. The picture is clear and sharp, the colours more vibrant. This is how the film should look, to do neverland justice and it makes me very happy that a good job has been done. Im sure the tech heads will find something to pick apart at, but for the general viewing public this will be a treat. Superb!
on 9 June 2013
I loved this film when I was younger and nothing has changed about that, even though I'm now 22!

Robin Williams is, as always, brilliant. He's hilarious and I think he makes a great Peter Pan - definitely one of my favourite portrayals. He plays the grown-up Peter fantastically, as a man who has forgotten all about Neverland and his life before growing up. Once he returns to the magical world and finally remembers, his take on Peter was wonderful to watch. Who'd of thought Robin Williams in tights would have been so cool?

I loved the lost boys in this. They were so dependent on Peter and had clearly missed him so much and the ending when he left again just ripped my heart out. They were also so funny (BANGARANG) when they were 'training' Peter to become himself again (the dinner scene was just awesome). Also: Ru-fi-ooooooooooooooo.

Dustin Hoffman as Hook was just splendid. He's such a great actor and I've learned to expect nothing better than AWESOME from him. And he delivered. Hook is perfectly creepy but also kind of strangely likeable.

The puns in this movie provide a lot of laughs (perhaps more now, watching as an adult: see the dinner scene when Peter and Rufio get into an argument) and the film is just a joy to watch throughout.

Okay, so it's not a completely oscar-worthy masterpiece. But it's a film that will keep you entertained throughout and get you back in touch with your childish side, something we all need once in a while. In my opinion, it's a must-see for anyone who's a fan of Williams or, you know, fun.
on 8 October 2011
Just got the film after preordering at a fantastic low price, which made me wonder how the picture quality was going to be especially for a 20 year old film.... I was blown away by what I saw, it was like watching the film for the first time, clear and sharp almost 3d in some scenes. If only all transfers of older movies to blu-ray could be this good. If you are thinking of upgrading from the DVD do not hesitate it is worth it many times over.
on 25 June 2014
Peter Pan grew up, that's what happened. As he did so, he forgot all about Neverland and the Lost Boys and everything. He married and had children of his own, and then.......Hook came back!!!!!
The story is great fun, and Robin Williams and Justin Hoffman, playing Pan and Hook respectively, are enthusiastic in the greatest degree. Never mind trying to be adult about things, let's have FUN. Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell is brilliant casting; she manages to look just as a fairy should, and Bob Hoskins as Smee is simply perfect.
Have this DVD around for the next time it's raining and you need something to entertain the family. There's something here for all ages. Get ready to take sides and cheer.
on 14 August 2015
This film was underrated at the time, and remains so in my view. Recently revisiting this after the sad death of Robin Williams I realised that this film has all the wonder of ET, adventure of Indiana Jones and great performances as good as Schindler's List. Yet this film is certainly never put in same bracket as those. It's fun and totally touching with the continuing Spielberg theme of family and great story arcs. Picture quality and sound fine. A great bargain purchase.
VINE VOICEon 19 March 2006
Robin Williams, Bob Hoskins, Julia Roberts & Dustin Hoffman make up the best starting line up for a movie ever. The story is based around Peter Panning (Williams) Name sound familiar? well it is Peter Pan only 40 years old. Peter left Neverland and forgot who he was and eventually began to age and forgot about his childhood. Work becomes Peter's first priority over his marriage and his family which isn't a good thing. Determined to make Peter remember who he is Tinkerbell (Roberts) comes to collect Peter and remind him of who he truly is.
Once in neverland we are first introduced to the scary and imposing figure that is Captain James Hook (Hoffman) and his trusty sidekick Smee (Hoskins). As the story progresses of Peter being brough back to neverland we see the painful task of reminding Peter who he is so he can go into one final battle with Captain Hook. Apart from Hook, Peter has one adversary to overcome first and that's Rufio (Dante Basco) the new leader of the Lost Boys since Peter's absence.
Because of Peter's neglegance of his children his son Jack is easily persuaded to join Captain Hook along with his little sister and this is a true low blow for Peter.
I have already said too much but all's i'm going to say is you'll love this film as much as i did. Very heartwarming, funny and just a plain nice film that is for the entire family.
on 1 January 2016
A classic kids film that I wanted to introduce my kids to. This is classic robin williams at his best. If you have seen this before then get it and if you haven't this is a great film to distract yourself with for a couple of hours with the kids
on 13 October 2004
Forget your Citezen Kane,your Godfather and your Shawshank Redemption,Hook is where it is at.This Seriously underrated film has all you could need.It has a great story line, a magnicfent cast,Amazing effects and Brilliant music from my main man,John Williams.
I usually find Robin Williams really annoying but in this film he is at his careers best,and Dame Maggie Smith and Bob Hoskins are as good as always.Dustin Hoffman needs no introduction.He is fantastic.This is one of the already flawless Steven spielberg's Greatest film and should be shown more respect for this.The only bad part in the film is when it becomes too americanized but apart from this it is oscar-worthy.If you havent seen it then you are missing out big time,and if you have already seen it,watch it again for old times sake.