Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 21 February 2008
I am proud to say I own this album on vinyl.It was my first (random purchase)taste of the Womack magic and it still holds a special place in my collection.I have been a firm fan ever since-even went to see him on my own (sad I know)when he last came to the UK.I will not miss the chance when he is here.
This album was made during difficult times for Bobby Womack.His music did not sit well in the commercial pop of the late seventies/early eighties.He had suffered the loss of a child as stated in the album dedication.Notoriously difficult to work with as an artise he found himself taking a record deal with Arista.This was the only album made under the deal and it shines proudly as a highlight for the label.Maybe all the strife was the catalyst to some great songs;which is so commonly the case with soul artists.I own most of the artists work and I suppose he peaked commercially with the acclaimed first (essential soul) Poet album. I bet Arista (C.Davis) wished they still had him signed then!To be fair his seventies soul was followed fanatically for those in the know and is now largely available on CD-remember 'Across 110th.St' from Jackie Brown.Womack is truly the last soul survivor!
I still thnk this album stands up well to comparisons with his other great works and its highlight is my favourite track 'Give it Up' which is truly Womagical.
Tracks as follows (I don't normally bother doing this but this album is worth it:
1. Roads Of Life-Great opener,little Womack rap at start sets the soulful tone for the album.
2. How Could You Break My Heart-Lush strings,great production,ballsy vocals-hear that scream.Pure soul.
3. Honey Dripper Boogie-Bluesy uptempo dance number.OK for balance on the album.Not great.
4. Roots In Me-The master giving a sermon,more pure soul.
5. What Are You Doin'_A slightly shakey track-probably the lowest moment- one thorn amongst the roses!
6. Give It Up-Essential soul.A must have!
7. Mr. DJ Don't Stop The Music-Great uptempo dancer
8. I Honestly Love You-Bobby goes a lil' bit country as only he can.Good version of Olivia Newton John song.
Short and sweet,about fourty minutes of largely quality music.Made in the days when you enjoyed two sides of music without skipping tracks.
I have purchased it on CD to save me dragging out my old record player!
on 27 February 2013
Mr Womack has been around a lot of years and during that time has continualy turned out fantastic music, this album contains i think my favourite Bobby Womack track, How Could You Break My Heart" this album is one of his best, Fantastic.
on 12 July 2013
A wonderful trip down memory lane with this album it takes me back to thirtys which no mean feat these days!!!!
on 13 July 2014