Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now pd pd Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Learn more Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 8 February 2015
Hmm tough this one. I thought I would like it much more. The theme from Titanic is about the only tune I like at the moment. The rest are OK in their own way but I realised I am not a fan of Celine as a vocalist.

My Heart Will go On is sung Gently. Basically the rest of the album has many songs that are sung with hard vocals. Right from Think Twice it all starts getting gets forced 'rrrr' sounding. The second verse of Think Twice is painful. (Strange because I used to love it.)

I can cope with the CD as background music, on low volume, say while browsing. However then it is really only a musical tune bouncing along. Often the vocals way overpower the music so I have to reduce volume. I can't really hear the instruments but I can hear her belting in my headphones.

A New Day has Come, and Taking Chances are fairly tempered too, so good tunes.

At Amazon price though, it's hard to say that I don't like it. I just hadn't noticed her as a little more than occasionally unpleasantly belting before.

3.5/5 stars really, but not rounded up to four stars as that would make it look too hot.
on 27 December 2012
Usually greatest hits albums have lots of omitted songs and unnecessarily included songs, and this collection has its share, too. Still, however, it is nothing compared to Madonna's Celebration (2 CD) , Mariah's Greatest Hits or Michael's The Essential . I'll cut it short:

Where are 'Where Does My Heart Beat Now?', 'If You Asked Me to', 'When I Fall in Love', '(If There Was) Any Other Way', and 'I Want You to Need Me', all of which had good chart numbers? Yeah, I know this is a European edition and American editions include the first two songs I mentioned above, but considering the unnecessarily included songs that I'll enumerate now, this selection seems dissatisfying. I'd also love the inclusion of 'Miracle' from the album of the same name, so that we'd have at least one song from every release.

This being said, why are seven singles included from "Falling into You", as if there is a huge space on two discs? 'River Deep, Mountain High' and 'Seduces Me' were not even released as singles! How about 'Pour Que Tu M'aimes Encore'? Yes, it's her biggest French hit, but this collection is ENGLISH!! 'My Heart Will Go On' was a much bigger hit, but still it was not included on the French collection On Ne Change Pas , right? While I appreciate the inclusion of 'Dance with My Father' and the live version of 'My Love' (whose studio version is way much better), considering the lost singles, I see these as a waste of time. And 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' is boring as hell, and it has no chart success. What does it have to do here?

I'd also love the video remix version of 'I'm Alive'.

While I like such compilations in random order, I don't like the order of the songs, either. 'Because You Loved Me' and 'The Power of Love' coming after 'Taking Chances' and 'My Love'? Come on!!

Apart from these, I LOVE the inclusion of 'You & I', 'Misled', 'Only One Road', 'Alone', 'The Reason', 'Falling into You', 'Goodbye's (the Saddest Word)', 'Have You Ever Been in Love?', 'One Heart' etc. The included songs apparently satisfy me more than the unincluded ones make me pout.

And I wonder why a DVD of all the videos is still nowhere in sight.
One person found this helpful
on 2 February 2016
Ilive in a care home wherebthe majority of residents are older ladies and Iusually put some music on in the dining room for lunch this album was very warmly received and is often asked for now so, a great present for Mum or GrandmaIactually really enjoy it myself.Celine Dion has a faultless voice and it is shown to great effect on this excellent album buy it!
on 29 August 2014
There is no mistaking Celine's voice and I think you either love it or you hate it. This collection is absolutely beautiful and also has my favourite song which is Falling into you. There are some duets as well on this album, Bee Gees, Barbara Streisand to name but 2, for me there isn't a "duff" song so if you like her voice and feel like a soppy evening in go and buy this album.
on 6 February 2017
arrived on good time as I bought specially for my mother because prefers most of the tracks on celine dion cd as she's a beautiful voice and was satisfied with this cd as it he popular songs.
on 15 August 2014
What can I say, if you love Celine, you'll love this, if not you'll want to avoid it like the plague. I do like her though I think the title Essential Collection is a bit misleading. This album is a notable for what is not on there as much as for what is. Still the voice is delightful, the range variable and all in all a good listening album to ease away some of life's worries.
on 14 April 2018
Can't beat Celines beautiful voice, a fantastic 100% genuine artist..
on 13 September 2015
A fantastic selection of tracks with Celine Dion at her best. I have some of these tracks on other albums but a couple of 'live' tracks added a fresh sound to them. My favourite tracks on this album are 'That's the way it is' and 'I'm alive', but that might be because I have not heard these tracks as much and as a consequence sound fresh and uplifting. A great addition to anyone's collection especially if you like Celine Dion.
on 10 January 2018
Great sound very good cd, buy it
on 8 July 2018