VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 November 2014
This is a Welsh whisky that is made from what remains left over after Brains in Cardiff have brewed their beer. It is then extracted as a high content, tasteless, alcohol before being put in barrels to mature for close on the minimum time that you're allowed to do.

The result is a thin tasting whisky with very little in the way of a lingering flavour.

I wondered if this was just me, so I did blind tasting with a few friends, some of who really do know a drop of the good stuff when they taste it, It was put against a Glenlivet (about the closest Scotch you can find to this) and a Glenmorangie. The Welsh whisky came in a very poor third place universally, although the voting was evenly split between the two scotches.

Sorry to pour cold water on some of the rave reviews, but I think you can buy much, much better Whisky for the same price.

(Incidentally, I was so keen to try this when I first heard about that I did visit the distillery in the Brecons, but I have very disappointed with the resultant product.)
88 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This is all 'back story' with no real heritage. The illusion is given of an artisan product produced by generations of Whiskey makers, all the claptrap about a Welshman being one of the founding fathers of Bourbon production in America... no connection other than he was Welsh and so is this, don't know what the rest of the back story about Welsh Gold is about... to make this product seem rare or precious? It's made with the byproducts of beer, harsh and about as old as my latest pair of socks. This is all marketing ploy and not quality. Buy a cheap supermarket Scotch whisky any will be better than this, suck it through a caramel if you want the flavours this claims.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 August 2017
Having sadly bypasses the distillery on a return visit from Wales, I had often looked at the bottles of Penderyn that were making inroads into my local supermarkets and been curious. Could the Welsh make a decent whisky? I had tried the gin (quaffable enough, but slightly underwhelming, given the glowing reviews), I'd even tried the Merlyn cream liquor (rather more-ish, and one that seemed to improve from opening). Then I saw this one on Amazon, on offer, at 46% and with a 'Madeira finish'. Once more I was intrigued, my interest further piqued by the range of widely differing reviews. This time I bit the bullet.
So what is it like? It is deceptively smooth on the palate, and is certainly worthy of a place alongside the Scotch and Irish variants. It has a smoky finish following a sweet and warming opening, and for me was a little reminiscent of William Lawson's blended scotch. It is quite light; the taste is not as intense as an aged whisky, which would be in keeping with the younger whisky style to which Penderyn belongs.
Would I buy it again? Yes. Is it up there with the likes of Highland Park or Lapraiogh? Not at this time, but vive la difference, I reckon.
on 18 July 2015
okay..i've been drinking whisky a few years now,(always been a red wine person in the past, but ..it's nearly 50/50 now)..
i've tried springbank 18, lagavullin independant bottling, and laphroigs etc..
i keep this as my 'coffee' whisky,.. it's relatively inexpensive, ..but has it's own unique beautiful taste,..not as complex as the others ..(that are really good as well!) , my favourite is glenfidich 15, (my 'tea' whisky ..that i go to even more often haha!) ..that i drink because it's ..drinkable,..but penderyn is just fantastic .! non chill filtered gives that slightly 'oily' feel on the palette , it's powerful, ..got that 'speyside' characteristic to it..(ok ok! ..i know it's welsh!) and of the few bottles i've had, they do vary slightly, but wow! i really recommend it, because it's so unique and tasty, and more ish.. i recommend sniffing it for a couple of minutes first, whilst warming it in your hand, DON'T add any water, ..and then ( after eating a desert of strawberries and clotted cream, or baked apple and cream,.. sitting down next to the wood burner, with some django music and chillin' the night away ..wonderful stuff, ..i have it in rotation with a few other whisky's ..but keep skipping to this one (the cheapest!) ..so just as i'm about to order the penderyn legend,(for the first time!) i thought i'd get my tuppence worth ,..because i feel passionate about it,..cos it's that good.
please note, ..2 of the other reviews that were 1 star were moaning about the packaging not the actual whisky .. i'm guessing it's around 7 to 9 yrs,which is half the amount of time as glenfidich 15, but it's worth it because it really is that good. ;0P enjoy.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 August 2017
Really not a great whisky for me. i love a sherry or bourbon cask whisky but this is just way too sweet.

also much weaker than most standard single malts

sorry guys
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 December 2015
Beautiful. A lovely blend. Will definitely be buying more of this.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 13 February 2018
AS a Scotsman (whose daughter is marrying a Welshman) I hate to admit that this is a class act not dissimilar to some of the smoothest softer malts. Not too peaty and extremely enjoyable. Totally recommended to any novice whisky drinker on the look out for something not too main-stream.
on 5 January 2018
This is an excellent lovely tasting smooth single malt whisky from Wales. I used to think the only whisky worth drinking was single malt from Scotland but this proves the Penderyn distillery can more than match them. I'll certainly be keeping a bottle of this in my collection and look forward to trying some of their other whiskies.
on 8 December 2014
OK but disappointing for a gold medal winner. Initially smooth and icy. Made me think of a rushing mountain stream. Aftertaste peppery. Holds its strength and taste when served with ice. Which may explain why it got an international award, American serve whisky with ice. I'll stick to Speyside whiskey.
This is my opinion so please don't message me if you disagree. My reply to you will be rude.Post your own views instead.
on 26 July 2017
Really like it. This isn't a welshman trying to make a scotch. This is a whisky with it's own distinct and different character. Reminded me of a Japanese whisky I had once, but with more flavour. Loads of sweetness, some savoury in there- I'm pleased I tried it, and glad to pick it up for less than 30 quid. Much above 30 quid, though, I think I'd be looking instead to my more staple highland and Islay malts.